© Copyright 2017 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
- Photograph album belonging to Philadelphia amateur photographer John C. Browne. Contains informal portraits of family friends and views of excursions and landmarks in Bethlehem and Nazareth, Pa.; Wilmington, De.; Belividere and Burlington, N.J.; and the Philadelphia area. Images depict the Pennock-Miller family Delaware County mansion Forest Hill, including the library, "Mrs. Pennock's [ceramic] Collection," greenhouse, and Sarah Pennock Miller with her son Caspar on a mule; Old Moravian Boarding School, Moravian Sisters House, Protestant Episcopal Church, and "Old Oil Mill" (Bethlehem); Old Swedes Church (Wilmington); and an old Moravian brewery, buildings, and Whitfield House (Nazareth). Other photographs depict Haines Spring house; "Andersons" at Belvidere; a family picnic at Pierson's Ravine (Belvidere); the Wissahickon; [Fairmount?] "Park guard house"; portraits of a family dog and posed portraits of Mary (Mame) Steele, including one showing the extreme length of her tresses, and Ettie Lewis, Anna, May, Katie and Bessie Shippen attired in costume. Some views include fellow amateur photographer architect George W. Hewitt. One Bethlehem view also shows D. & A. Luckenbach mill., Front free end paper signed John C. Browne., Photographs identified by inscriptions below images. Some annotated "Dry (albumen)" or "Dry.", Green cloth binding, with gilt, and stamped on cover: Album., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Two photographs of "Pennocks House" removed prior to acquisition by repository., Eight inserted loose prints in envelopes removed and housed separately in John C. Browne Collection., LCP AR [Annual Reports] 1989 p. 33-34., Inventory available at repository.
- Albums of progress photographs of the early construction of City Hall built 1871-1901 on Penn Square after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. Photographs show different stages of the construction of the foundation and lower floor of the building between 1873 and 1875. Includes images of the dirt sub basement; construction materials, equipment, and workers; aerial views of the built foundation; partially completed walls and abutments; and studio views of columns and architectural ornaments. Several of the views include scaffolding; horse-drawn carts; pulleys; piles of construction debris; Pennsylvania Railroad cars on Market Street; and workers and well-dressed men, probably the commissioners, reviewing and posed on or near constructed parts of the building and construction materials. Views also show surrounding cityscape, including the Masonic Temple (Broad and Filbert); United States Mint (1331-1337 Chestnut Street); the Seventh Presbyterian Church (Broad Street above Chestnut Street); Pennsylvania Railroad Freight Depot (13th and Market); La Salle College High School (Filbert and Juniper); Sharpless & Watts, flooring tile (1325 Market Street); the spires of Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church (s.w. cor. Broad & Arch) and First Baptist Church (n.w. cor. Broad and Arch); and other surrounding businesses (beer hall, wall paper, and furniture) and residences., Volume 1 (Oct. 1873-Aug. 1874) contains two tipped in letters, dated December 26, 1873 and June 27, 1874, from President of the Commissioners for the Erection of the Public Buidlings Samuel C. Perkins. Correspondence presents the stereographs, "authorized to be taken by the commissioners," as a means for the library to "have for preservation in [the] archives a complete photographic record of the progress of a work which under any aspect must be considered as of marked importance in our local history.", Stereographs numbered, dated, and printed with the series title "Views of Construction in Sub-Basement" or "Views of Construction" and the names of the architect, chief assistant, and board of commissioners on the verso., Calf bindings, polished and mottled., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Volume 1 image reproduced in The Print and Photograph Department of the Library Company of Philadelphia's Center City Philadelphia in the 19th century (Portsmouth, N.H.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006), p. 116., Samuel C. Perkins, a Philadelphia lawyer, served as president of the Commissioners for the Erection of the Public Buidlings 1872-1891., Housed in phase boxes.