© Copyright 2017 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
- Album of 12 photographic views showing the West Philadelphia estate of Philadelphia banker and collector Clarence Howard Clark at 4200 Locust Street. Images depict the front gate to the residence, the residence, green house and garden, and pond with fountain. Also depicts members of Clark's family posed at the residence, on the grounds, in a goat carriage, and in a boat on the pond. Views also include an African American servant posed near an entrance, gardeners at the greenhouse, wooded areas, paths, and lawn chairs., Photographer's imprint from blind stamp on mounts., Title from brown morocco binding, plate on front cover., Bookplate of The Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church pasted inside front cover. Typed Gift of Clarence Clark Zantzinger (1925)., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR [Annual Report] 1990, p. 54., Housed in phase box., Added to African Americana Digital Collection through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of the Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, Governor, 2013-2014., Clarence Howard Clark, banker, book collector, philanthropist, horticulturalist, and prominent land developer of West Philadelphia resided in Chesnutwold from about the 1860s. The property was originally built by Samuel K. Hopkins Jr. for banker Nathaniel Borrodail Browne after 1851. Altered during the 1880s, including an addition, the estate grounds were open to the public by 1895 when Clark donated some of his other land holdings for an adjacent public park (i.e., Clark Park). Following Clark's death, Chestnutwold was presumed to be given to the city as a public park, but instead was purchased in 1917 by The Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Clark was married to Amie Hampton Westcott (d. 1870) and later Marie Motley Davis with whom he had three sons, including Philadelphia mayor Joseph S. Clark.