Back to top

American celebrities album
Two volume set of albums containing predominately cartes de visite photographic portraits of prominent American 19th-century figures in politics, education, and the arts. Portraits depict actors, artists, authors, Congressmen, educators, governors, military leaders, physicians, publishers, religious leaders, social reformers, scientists, and U.S. presidents and their spouses. Includes mostly vignette and bust-length portraits and a small number of full length portraits. Also contains a small number of trimmed portrait engravings, tintypes, and a photo-collage depicting evangelist D. L. Moody with the under photograph copyrighted 1877. Small number of sitters are unidentified., Men sitters include P. T. Barnum; Henry Ward Beecher; John Brown; Ned Buntline; Samuel Clemens; Jefferson Davis; O. S. Fowler; Oliver Wendell Holmes; Abraham Lincoln; Samuel Morse; Thomas Nast; Hiram Powers; Winfield Scott; Gerrit Smith; Cornelius Vanderbilt; John Wanamaker; Brigham Young; Native American chiefs Ouray, Spotted Tail, and Sitting Bull; and African Americans Frederick Douglass and performer "Blind" Tom. Women sitters include presidential spouses Frances Cleveland and Lucretia Garfield; reformers Susan B. Anthony and Victoria Woodhull; authors Louisa May Alcott, Helen Hunt (Jackson), Harriet Beecher Stowe; sculptors Harriet Hosmer and Vinnie Ream; and performers Maria Albani, Charlotte Cushman, and Kate Field., Photographers include Mathew Brady, E. & H. T. Anthony; Jeremiah Gurney; and George Kendall Warren., Majority of sitters identified by a manuscript note on the album page or on portrait or an inscribed label., Brown leather bindings with gilt, stamped in gilt on front boards: Volume I: American Celebrities. Vol. I.; Volume II: American Celebrities. Vol. II. Stamped in gilt on spines: Album., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., See "American Celebrities Album" item-level records for digital images of all identified individual sitters.

Catalogue of theatrical and public celebrities
Trade catalog containing pages with rows of numbered vignette-size reproduced portrait photographs of female , male, and child entertainers. Includes bust-length, half-length, and full-length portraiture, with one sitter often depicted in several differently posed portraits. Sitters, predominantly women, are usually attired in costume and occasionally are posed as couples, or in character and with props and ornate backdrops. Costumes and props include hats and head pieces; tights and shorts; nautical, peasant, medieval and roman garb; umbrellas, fans and valises; chairs and hammocks; guns and swords; and instruments and animals. Unique costumes and poses include Jeannie Winston as a devil with wings; Kate Forsyth depicted as a sculpted bust; and Lizzie Harold sprawled on a floor., Sitters include French operatic soprano Marie Roze (1846-1926); American entertainer Lotta [Crabtree] (1847-1924); American actress Annie Pixley (1858-1893); comic actors Charles E. Holland and Ben Maginley (d. 1888); actress and theater manager Mrs. John Drew (i.e., Louisa Lane Drew); French magician Prof. Hermann, i.e., Alexander Hermann(1843-1896), author and actress Lillian Chester; and characters from "Pinafore.", Accompanied by pocket-size, printed catalog with preface promoting Gilbert & Bacon's large stock of portrait views of the "most artistic and prominent in their profession" in the sizes "Cabinets" and "Panels." Includes lists of sitters for 1692 "Cabinets" and 115 "Panels.", Front endpaper inscribed: George P. Campbell, Continental Hotel, August 1880. Campbell, probably a Gilbert & Bacon agent, resided at the hotel in the 1880s., Cloth binding, stamped "Scrap" on front cover and "Patented March 1876" on back cover., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Gilbert & Bacon, the portrait studio established by Philadelphia photographers Charles M. Gilbert (b. ca. 1848) and William F. Bacon (ca. 1843-1900), operated ca. 1874-ca. 1929. The firm specialized in celebrity portraiture and photographed actors, baseball players, and members of high society. Following the death of Bacon in 1900, the firm continued in business under the management of Gilbert and Bacon's son Frank T. into the early 20th century.

Centennial Exhibition, Philadelphia. 1876.
Sample album containing half stereographic prints by the commissioned photographic company of the Centennial Exhibition of 1876. Contains images of the exhibition that celebrated the centennial of the United States through an international exhibition of industry, agriculture, and art. Photographs depict the installation of exhibits; exhibition grounds including bird's eye views, scenes in Lansdowne Valley and along exhibition avenues, rail lines, fountains, statuary, and outdoor horticultural displays; interiors and exteriors of exhibition buildings, including Agricultural Hall, Horticultural Hall, Main Exhibition Building, Memorial Hall, the United States Government Building, states' buildings, the Women's Pavilion and the portico of the building of the Centennial Photographic Co.; views of special exhibits and dioramas, including Hunter's Camp, the first locomotive, and "The Dying Elk"; displays showing the wares, products, or cultural artifacts of specific companies and countries, including Peruvian mummies; and displays of art particularly of Italian statuary. Many of the exterior views and some of the interior include fair visitors and personnel., Exhibitors depicted include American Book Association; American Steamship Co.; American Watch Co.; Clinton Wire Cloth Company; Farmers Friend Manufacturing Co.; J. F. Tyrell & Co.; J. & P. Coats; Kingsford Starch Co.; Mason's Blacking; Midnight Yarn Co.; Mrs. Maxwell (taxidermy); Pacific Guano Co.; Shomacker Piano Mftg. Co.; and Singer Sewing Machine., Architects of the main buildings include Herman Schwartzmann, Henry Pettit, Joseph M. Wilson, and James H. Windrim. Architects of the states buildings include George A. Frederick, Carl Pfeiffer, E. L. Rice, Jr., Croff & Camp, and Heard & Sons., Brown leather and maroon cloth binding with gilt., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Album disbound and reformatted for conservation., Catalogue of the Centennial Photographic Company's Views of the International Exhibition, 1876. LCP Rare Books Am1876Cen (51856.D.10)., Ongoing series of articles about photographing the exhibition by John L. Gihon, a photographer employed by the Company, appeared in Philadelphia Photographer throughout 1877 under the title "Rambling Remarks Resumed.", Original photographs by the Centennial Photographic Company appeared as the frontispieces for Philadelphia Photographer in March, April, July and November 1877. P.8965.70f showing the statue "Cupid" illustrated the November 1877 issue., LCP AR [Annual Report] 1983 p.42-43., The Centennial Photographic Company was granted exclusive rights to photograph the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. Company officers included President William Notman, a prominent Canadian photographer; Vice President and Proprietor Washington Irving Adams, representative of the Scovill Manufacturing Company which supplied equipment for large-scale production to the company; Superintendent & Treasurer and Proprietor Edward L. Wilson, publisher of Philadelphia Photographer; and Art Superintendent John Arthur Fraser, Notman's partner in the Toronto photographic firm of Notman & Fraser. Employing over 400 men and women, the Company produced over 3,000 views of the exhibition, and portraits of officials and exhibitors.

The City Hall Philadelphia. Architecture, sculpture and history.
Limited edition volume, organized in 18 topical sections, containing photomechanical reproductions of engravings (by Faust) and photographs showing views of the interior, exterior, and architectural and sculptural details of the municipal building built 1871-1901 after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. Sections, predominately titled, include Modeling of the William Penn statue; views of court rooms, Mayor's Office, entrances; Window Spandrels Tower; Bronze Groups on Towers; Centre Pavilion Dormers; Caryatides (i.e., supporting columns sculptured in the form of a draped female figure); Medallions in Conversation Hall of Councils; Doorway Spandrels. Northern & Eastern Entrances; Keystones; Panels. Stairway; Impost Panels of Windows; Spandrels and Statuary Centre Pavilion; Panels; Tower Capitals; Spandrels Interior of Tower; Panels in Eastern Entrance; Spandrels in Northern Entrance; and Window Spandrels in Northern Entrance. Interior views often include pedestrian traffic., Architectural and ornamental details depict allegorical, historical, ethical, anthropological, and political and governmental figures and tableaux, including "Distinguished Early Philadelphians"; the continents; the four natural elements and seasons; "Indians"; Swedes; mammals, reptiles, and birds, including eagles, bears, and buffalo; the natural and social sciences, arts, and humanities; industry, mechanics, and commerce; civilization and barbarism; prayer and meditation; victory and fame; admonition and repentance; and liberty and law; and youth. Details also show the seal of Pennsylvania and stereotyped, ethnographic facial studies, and cherubic figures., Edition de luxe limited to one thousand copies. Copy no. 48., Frontispiece shows a view engraved by Faust of the exterior of City Hall. Includes street and pedestrian traffic., Front matter is misordered ([p. 4] and [p. 5] reversed) and includes an "Historical" overview of the location and construction of the building; "Description of the Buildings," including the styles of "Architecture" and dimensions; the "Comparative Heights of the Principal Buildings of the World"; and the "Inscription upon face of Corner-stone in centre of tower foundation.", Reproduced wood engravings contain artist's signature or initials: F. Faust; F.F., Original cloth bindings, brown cloth grained with gilt stamped front cover and endpapers removed and rehoused with rebound album for conservation., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Frederick Faust, born in Germany in 1849, immigrated to the United States in 1870 and worked as a wood engraver in Philadelphia by the early 1880s. He continued in the trade as an illustrator into the early 20th century and was retired by 1930.

James Burrill Angell, 1829-1916
Journalist, diplomat, Pres. Univ. of Vermont., American Celebrities Album., Retrospective conversion record: original entry.

Louella
Album containing 27 photographs showing the grounds and residence of the estate in Radnor Township, later Wayne, Pa. Includes No. 1 the Wayne Pennsylvania Rail Road station; No. 2 "mansion as seen from the S.W."; No. 3 the "north side of Mansion"; No. 4 "Entire northern side of Mansion"; No. 5 "Full front view taken from the South, and as fronting on "The Pike," i.e, Lancaster Pike; No. 6 "Main Entrance and Vestibule, taken from the interior"; No. 7 "Scenery and Grounds, and Summer House, east of Dwelling"; No. 8 and No. 9 "South view" and North view of "late residence," known formerly as the 'Old Maule Manor House'"; No. 10 'View from the S.S.W. showing Lawn, Flower Garden, etc.; No. 11 "Partial view of the old and principal Barn and Implement House"; No. 12 "South View of the Main Barn and Granary, Stables for pleasure horses, and coach house"; No. 13 "Meadow north of the Pike"; No. 14 "Principal Spring and Dairy Houses"; No. 15 the public, lecture and library hall "'Wayne Hall' as seen from the S.W."; No. 16 "Modernized dwelling, formerly known as the "Old Barber Farm House"; No. 17 "Spring House," etc. belonging to the Barber Farm"; No. 18 "Cottage at the extreme eastern boundary of the 'Louella Farm' "; No. 19 "View from the N.W. of the old 'Jno. Richards Manor House,' built in 1792"; No. 20 "Northern view of the Sheep Houses, Fold, etc."; No. 21 "Two cottages "built on a hill," south of the Pike, on line with the Mansion"; No. 22 "The New Reservoir, (covered), with scenery to the East" at Wayne and Bloomingdale avenues; No. 23 "Meadow south of the Pike"; No. 24 "Wheel House"; No. 25 "The Riding horse 'Frank'"; No. 26 horse 'Billy Button' "; and No. 27 'Elizabeth' our favorite, a thorough-bred Guernsey cow." Views also show the cottage of Jane Kissick (widow of Center Square Water Works engineer John Kissick) attached to the Wayne train station; members of the Askin family, and their grounds keepers., Brown leather binding, grained., Contains lithographed title page and Table of "Contents" with a numbered and explanatory list of the photographs. Photographs listed as No. 1 - No. 27., Insert: Loose albumen print showing an oblique view of the mansion. Members of the Askin family sit on the porch. The landscaped estate lawn is partially visible in the foreground., Album pages contain lithographed decorative borders, tinted with one stone., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2002, p. 62., Variant copies held in the collections of William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan and the University of Delware Special Collections., Housed in red-clothed clamshell box., Louella, the estate of successful Philadelphia real estate broker and banker J. Henry Askin, was built in 1867 on hundreds of acres of land along the Lancaster Pike and the Pennsylvania Railroad in Wayne, Pa. The residence contained eighty rooms, was powered with gas retorts, and received water from a reservoir erected on a neighboring hill. The estate also sustained a green house; conservatory; farm; a public lecture hall, library, and place of worship; as well as landscaped lawns and flower gardens. In 1880, Askin sold the property to Philadelphia editor George Childs and banker Anthony J. Drexel for development into the Wayne Estates. The Louella residence was later used as a summer resort hotel, school for girls, and apartments.

[Motion studies]
Series of six nude motion studies photographed by Thomas Eakins at the University of Pennsylvania. Views show male models, including George Jacobson, during the process of jumping, running, and walking. Includes a copy of the image "History of a Jump.", Gift of Elizabeth G. Coates., One of images reproduced in William Dennis Marks's "The Mechanism of Instantaneous Photography" in "Animal Locomotion: The MuyBridge Work at the University of Pennsylvania" (Philadelphia, 1888), p. 14. [P.9873.5] LCP also holds larger format variant with annotations. [*photo - Eakins, P.8713.6]., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR (Annual Report) 1982, p. 37., Photographs housed together in acid free clamshell box., Thomas Eakins, artist, photographer, and director of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (1882-1886), photographed over 60 motion studies at the University of Pennsylvania between 1884 and 1885. He devised a new camera for the motion photographs that included a timing device and rotating shutter mechanism.

Old landmarks & relics of Philadelphia. Fourth series.
Viewbook containing a folded leave of six titled photographs and a folded leave of titled, narrative texts about the images. Photographs depict "The House in which Gen'l Agnew Died Germantown" showing an exterior view of Grumblethorpe, the house built in 1744 in which British General James Agnew died in 1777; "Swedes Church. Front View" showing the Episcopalian, former Lutheran, church known as Gloria Dei Church, built 1700-1703 at 929 South Water Street; "Old Log Cabin, Richmond & Vienna Sts." showing an 18th-century style dwelling in Fishtown; "The Old Market House, Callowhill & New Market Sts." showing one of the four old market houses, known as Norwich Market, established in 1783 on the 100 block of Callowhill Street; Robert Morris Hotel Phila. Park showing the four-story hotel opposite the race bridge of the Fairmount Water Works that was razed in 1868; and "Ancient Building, First Fish House, Arch St. bel. 4th Sts." showing the 18th-century attached, brick buildings in Loxley Court that purportedly housed fishing implements for the Penn family. Images include grave stones; broadsides; signage; neighborhood dwellers; and partial views of horse-drawn carriages., Titles on negatives., Embossed brown cloth binding, gilt lettering., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Retrospective conversion record: MARC Link database, edited., Recon note: Match points differ, LCP holds loose, larger format copies of some of the images., Gift of S. Marguerite Brenner.

Old landmarks & relics of Philadelphia. Second series.
Viewbook containing six titled photographs and a folded leave of titled, narrative texts about the images. Photographs depict "Independence Hall" showing the front facade of the building built 1732-1748, including the front courtyard with the Joseph A. Baily statue of George Washington; "Whitby Hall" showing the country dwelling built in 1754 on land in Kingsessing acquired by Philadelphia merchant James Coultas in 1741;" "Friends Alms House, Walnut Bel. Fourth" showing the benevolent institution erected in 1729 and razed in 1841; "Acadamy [sic] of Fine Arts, Chestnut St. Bet. 10th & 11th Sts. Phila." showing the arched entry way to the building erected in 1806 and shortly before it was "torn down in 1870, to make way for Fox's American Theatre; "Rittenhouse Mansion, Arch & Seventh Sts." showing the former residence of astronomer David Rittenhouse built 1786-1787 by master builder Joseph Ogilby; and "St. Peters Church, Fourth & Pine" showing the Episcopal church built 1758-1761 "in the midst of a graveyard." Images also include residents; street lamps; signage; partial views of storefront awnings; and trees and greenery., Titles on negatives., Embossed green cloth binding, gilt lettering., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Recon note: Match points differ, Photographs originally on folded leave., Presented by Margaretta A. Dick in memory of her father Walter B. Dick.

Old Philadelphia views 1861
Album of photographs, predominately half stereographs, of landscape views of Philadelphia and Bucks County. Images include views of Frankford Creek, Tohickon Creek, Wissahickon Creek, Tacony Creek, Pleasantville, Crescentville, Germantown, Fairmount Park near the water works, and winter scenery. Also contains photographs of Stenton, Woodlands Cemetery, the Desilverwood Estate (Holmesburg), the Burd family monuments at St. Stephen's Church (Philadelphia), the city garden of Joseph R. Evans (329 Pine Street), Atlantic City, and Richmond, Va. Images include trees, creek banks, rocks, waterfalls, dams, bridges, mills, and farm land. Many also include posed figures, including a man, probably one of Moran's artist brothers Edward or Thomas, painting in a ravine and scenes titled "Student at Work"; "Autumn in the Woods - burning leaves"; and "Sit up Sir" showing a man with a dog., Title from inscription on spine., Spine stamped in gilt: Photographs., Blue morocco binding., Photographs arranged four to a page, numbered, and identified by captions inscribed below the images., Letter from Ferdinand J. Dreer to [George W. Childs?], March 12, 1861 pasted on verso of front cover. Letter begins "Accept from your friend a few photographs & stereoscope views... of the work of a young native artist" and explains they were not sent for "their intrinsic value, but as beautiful studies and highly artistic.", Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Housed in phase box., Gift of Ruth Molloy.

Philadelphia Zoo photograph album
Album of photographs predominantly showing the grounds of the Philadelphia Zoo in Fairmount Park, in West Philadelphia. Contains views of the Victorian-style gatehouse after the designs of Frank Furness; "The Dying Lioness" statue after the design of Wilhelm Wolff casted in 1875 at the entrance courtyard; lions, tigers, a jaguar and a zebra walking, standing, and grazing in their caged areas; an elephant, camel, lama, mountain goat, and caribou in fenced yards; buffalo grazing on a pasture; and Solitude, the country retreat of John Penn built in 1785 on the grounds of the zoo (miscaptioned as "Wm Penn's House, Fairmount Park"). Images include zoo keepers, visitors, gates, fencing, "Admission Today" signage, and partial views of other buildings on the zoo grounds. Also contains portrait photographs of a man and woman, probably Josie and Emil, and sculler "Andrew C. Craig, Undine Boat Club" on the Schuylkill River. Craig view also includes cityscape and trees along the riverbank in the background. The Philadelphia Zoo, the first in the nation, opened in 1874., Calligraphed on cover: Photographs., Contains pasted label on front page: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Uncle Joe from Josie & Emil., Contains pasted label on back cover: Ward's Souvenir Album. Made in Light Gray and Dark Gray Leaves. This book is no. 141., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Housed in phase box.

Photograph album
Photograph album belonging to Philadelphia amateur photographer John C. Browne. Contains landscape and architectural views of the Delaware Valley and Central Pennsylvania, informal portraits of family and friends, and canal boat excursions of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia, including over the Pennsylvania Canal to Harrisburg (1879) and Morris Canal (1880). Images depict "Bartram's house, Gray's Ferry"; Cobbs Creek, including the Old Powder House; Wissahickon; Jay Cooke's Ogontz estate; Mill Creek (Lower Merion Township); the Philadelphia Zoo monkey house; Chelten Hills; Laurel Hill; Delaware Water Gap, including G. W. Childs arbor, Kittany House, Promontory, Lovers Leap, Young's Peak, and Mt. Minsi; falls, creeks, and Dingman's Ferry in Pike County, Pa.; sites along the Juniata Division of Pennsylvania Canal, including mill races, iron furnaces, Pennsylvania Rail Road bridges, and canal locks at or near Bridgeport, Dauphin, and Rockville; and sites along the Morris Canal, including canal boat planes and hoisting tower, Hopatcong Lake, Little Falls, and Passaic Falls., Other images show the English Cottage on the Centennial grounds (1877); strung hunted game and fish; landscape views of Sea Bright and Belvidere, N.J. and the Delaware near Torresdale; a posed "sweethearts" scene "On the Pennypack" (1878); and a group portrait of the Photographic Society (Samuel F. Corlies, Charles Pancoast, Charles Barrington, Samuel Sartain, Joseph William Bates, W. S. Vaux, Dr. Carl Seiler, Thomas H. McCollin, Thomas B. Craig) with cameras and fishing equipment during the Morris Canal excursion. Other portrait views include Mr. and Mrs. S. Fisher Corlies, Mamie Lloyd, Sallie Bacon, Jesse S. Graves, Alice E. Browne, Susie Hacker, Samuel Fox, and Charles Palmer. Some photographs show a photographer using his camera and several of the canal excursion views include the canal boats "Zuleika" (Pennsylvania Canal) and "Katie Kellogg" and her mule team "Tom & Baby" (Morris Canal)., Front free end paper signed John C. Browne., Photographs identified by inscriptions below images. Majority are date and some annotated "Washed Emulsion.", Red cloth binding, with gilt, and stamped on cover: Album., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., An article by Browne, "The Waterfalls of Pike County, Pa.," describing a trip to photograph natural scenery in Pike County appears in Philadelphia Photographer, Vol. XIII, no. 151 (July 1876), pages 208-211., LCP AR [Annual Reports] 1989 p. 33-34., Browne was a founder of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

Photograph album
Photograph album compiled by James B. Nicholson containing predominantly portrait photographs of prominent local and national members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and their families, including men, women, and children. Photographs depict full-length, bust-length, and vignette portraits; group portraiture; and collages. Several male sitters wear the regalia of the Odd Fellows and most sitters are fashionably attired. Group portraiture depicts employees of Pawson and Nicholson in front of the bookbinding shop (139 S. Seventh), and rosters and meetings and excursions of members of the fraternal organization (1870s-1880s), including Warrior Lodge, no. 873. Collages include portraits of the Rulafson family of San Francisco and examples of work from the respected photographic firm Bradley & Rulafson. Also includes images of the photography department and sculpture at the Centennial Exhibition (1876); photographic reproductions of a Sir Walter Scott manuscript donated to the Sanitary Fair (1864), and an Odd Fellow membership certificate and medal; and a John Sartain engraved portrait of "E. Grand Captain General of Pennsylvania" Varhan Smith., Sitters include James B. Nicholson (often attired in regalia), his wife Adelaide, and sons Clarence and celebrated Civil War Colonel John Page; James Alexander Bartram ("first cousin of my father");; Past Grand Master George F. Borie; orator Henry Armitt Brown; Nicholson's partner James Pawson; Pennsylvania state senator George D. Jackson; businessman and District Deputy Grand Master, Clarion County Ruloff Ruloffson; Philadelphia businessman and Grand Treasurer M. Richards Muckle; Grand Sire Samuel H. Perkins; Past Grand Master Francis M. Rea; "Grand Master" Alfred R. Potter; the family of Past Grand Master Samuel Haworth; and "Gutekunst's daughter" attired in a costume., Green morocco binding., Spine stamped: Photographs., Photographers indentified by inscriptions on album page., Several sitters identified by inscriptions on album page. Many noted as "Deceased.", Multiple portraits arranged as collages on many of the album pages., Various photographers include W. H. Bennett, P. E. Chillman, Frederick Gutekunst, and David Lothrop., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Album housed in phase box with index to sitters., James Bartram Nicholson was a premier Philadelphia bookbinder in the partnership Pawson & Nicholson established in 1848. He was also a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows serving as a Grand Sire (1863-1864), grand scribe, and grand secretary (1863-1901), as well as authored "I.O.O.F.: The Story of 65 or The History of the Grand Lodge of the United States... (1896)." He married Adelaide Broadnix (b. ca. 1822) in 1841 and with her had three sons, Colonel John Page (1842-1922), Howard B. (b. ca. 1855) and bookbinder Clarence S. Nicholson (b. ca. 1858) and a daughter Eliza (b. ca. 1852).

Photograph album
Photograph album belonging to Philadelphia amateur photographer John C. Browne. Contains informal portraits of family friends and views of excursions and landmarks in Bethlehem and Nazareth, Pa.; Wilmington, De.; Belividere and Burlington, N.J.; and the Philadelphia area. Images depict the Pennock-Miller family Delaware County mansion Forest Hill, including the library, "Mrs. Pennock's [ceramic] Collection," greenhouse, and Sarah Pennock Miller with her son Caspar on a mule; Old Moravian Boarding School, Moravian Sisters House, Protestant Episcopal Church, and "Old Oil Mill" (Bethlehem); Old Swedes Church (Wilmington); and an old Moravian brewery, buildings, and Whitfield House (Nazareth). Other photographs depict Haines Spring house; "Andersons" at Belvidere; a family picnic at Pierson's Ravine (Belvidere); the Wissahickon; [Fairmount?] "Park guard house"; portraits of a family dog and posed portraits of Mary (Mame) Steele, including one showing the extreme length of her tresses, and Ettie Lewis, Anna, May, Katie and Bessie Shippen attired in costume. Some views include fellow amateur photographer architect George W. Hewitt. One Bethlehem view also shows D. & A. Luckenbach mill., Front free end paper signed John C. Browne., Photographs identified by inscriptions below images. Some annotated "Dry (albumen)" or "Dry.", Green cloth binding, with gilt, and stamped on cover: Album., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Two photographs of "Pennocks House" removed prior to acquisition by repository., Eight inserted loose prints in envelopes removed and housed separately in John C. Browne Collection., LCP AR [Annual Reports] 1989 p. 33-34., Inventory available at repository.

Photograph album
Album of photographs compiled and some possibly taken by Albert Hatch showing city and landscape views and family views and portraits. Photographs depict Atlantic City; Fairmount Park, including the water works and the Wissahickon Creek; Schooley family residences, landmarks, and the 1888 reunion in Luzerne County, Pa., including the residence of Joanna Schooley (West Pittston), the "Old Homestead" (Wyoming), the residence of H. N. Schooley before and after renovations in 1888, and the Schooley Breaker (Sturmerville) and Mill (Luzerne); lighthouses at Sandy Hook, N.J. and Neversink, N.Y.; and the White Mountains, N.H. Images also show the 500 block of North Twenty-Fifth Street, including Hatch's residence; the Girard Avenue Bridge and tunnel; the Old Red Bridge and Thorps Lane Bridge (Wissahickon), and "Old Smithy", a view by John Moran of a "smith" in front of his stone cabin shop in the woods. Also contains unidentified landscape views by Moran, and frontispiece photographs removed from late 1880s editions of "The Philadelphia Photographer," including views of South Africa and "The Kiosk of Isis" (Bed of Pharoah) at Philae Island., Calligraphed on cover: Photographs., Insert: Permission card issued to Mr. Albert Hatch, No. 577 N. 25 St. Recto contains stamps: Albert Hatch 190 Lambert St., Phila, Pa.; Albert Hatch 1616 Montgomery Ave. Verso printed: Permission has been granted to you to take Photographic Views in the Park during 1885. Good until revoked by the Committee on superintendance [use?] J. M. Dougherty, Secretary., Contains pasted label on back cover: Howard Album. Interchangeable Cards, Scovill Mf'g Co., N. Y. Patented and Label Registered., Photographers include George Hanmer Croughton; Lulu Farini; John Moran; and E. L. Wilson., Several of the photographs identified from captions below the images., Names of photographers from inscriptions below the images., Brown leather binding stamped: Photographs., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Gift of Agnes Kelly., Housed in phase box., Albert Hatch, son of Massachusetts-born, real estate broker Edward Hatch, was an amateur photographer who worked as a clerk at the U.S. Post Office from the late 1880s into the early 20th century. He was married in 1886 to Alice C. Schooley, who was from a family active in the milling and mining industry in and near Wyoming, Pa, including her brother Henry N. and Aunt Joanna. The couple had two children, including Augusta Hatch (b. 1868), who married James Kelly in 1890.

Photograph album of Philadelphia and vicinity
Photograph album compiled by Philadelphia photographer Robert Newell containing views by the photographer and his peers, including F. De. B. Richards. Images depict major city landmarks and views of Fairmount Park, including benevolent, educational and financial institutions, historic sites, residences, churches and meetinghouses, bridges, and hotels and taverns. Sites documented include Broad Street (Civil War) Hospital; Foster Home (Twenty-Fourth and Poplar); Germantown Academy; the former bookstore and printing office of William Young (200-204 Chestnut); Landing Avenue during alterations (East bank of Schuylkill); Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (old and new); Carpenters Hall; Independence Hall; Academy of Music; Merchants' Exchange; Girard, Farmers', Mechanics', Pennsylvania, and Fourth National banks; Bartram's, Keene, and Rittenhouse mansions; Woodford residence (Fairmount Park); Washington's residence (Germantown); Womrath property, "where the first 4th of July" was celebrated" (4216 Frankford); Oldest house in Lansdown" (West Fairmount Park); Old Farm house (Broad and Oxford); St. Judes Episcopal church; Fairmount Water Works, and boat houses and ice houses along the Schuylkill; Cedar Hill, Laurel Hill and Woodlands cemeteries; Columbia, Old Callowhill Street, Girard Avenue, and New York Connecting Railroad bridges; Continental, Valley Green, Maple Spring, Markley's and Cole's hotels; and "Punch Bowl" (2100 Broad), "Abbey" (Hunting Park and Wissahickon Aves), Old Buck? (Lancaster Pike) and Old Grey's Ferry taverns., Images also include neighboring and tenant businesses, including Charles Oakford & Sons, hats, Continental Hotel (29a), John C. Clark & Sons, stationers and printers, L. S. Boyer & Co., coal, and a "Shaving and Hair Cutting Emporium," on 228-232 South Third (29b), and a real estate office, 524 Arch (45b); street vendors (74b); and broadsides displayed on buildings and walls (49b & 79b). Several of the Fairmount views also show visitors, patrons to refreshment saloons, and park guards. Scrapbook also contains a small number of photographic reproductions of engravings, including one of Masonic Hall (700 block Chestnut) and images reproduced in R. Newell & Son's "Old Landmark" series (1876), including Old Swede's Church, Friends Almshouse, and Robert Morris Hotel., Title supplied by cataloger., Some of the contents identified by inscriptions on album pages. Inscriptions annotated and corrected in different hand., Texts from R. Newell & Son's "Old Landmark" series tipped in between album pages., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Images from album reproduced in The Print and Photograph Department of the Library Company of Philadelphia's Center City Philadelphia in the 19th century (Portsmouth, N.H.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006)., Album reformatted for conservation. Housed in two phase boxes, including binding and index., Robert Newell, the prominent Philadelphia commercial photographer operated a studio from circa 1855 to 1900. His firm, which originally specialized in portraiture, later focused on "Artistic Business and Landscape Photographs" and was reorganized as R. Newell & Son circa 1872. In 1876, the studio (Robert and Henry Newell) issued a series of six viewbooks under the title "Old Landmarks & Relics of Philadelphia." Newell also produced series of stereographs during the 1860s depicting commercial streets, the volunteer fire companies, and views of Fairmount Park and local cemeteries, as well as invented acid proof photographic ware in the 1870s.

[Photographic Society of Philadelphia's Chesapeake & Ohio Canal excursion, May 21-29, 1882 album]
Album belonging to Philadelphia amateur photographer John C. Browne. Primarily documents the Photographic Society of Philadelphia's Chesapeake & Ohio Canal excursion (May 21-29, 1882), including views of the Falls of the Potomac, Point of Rocks, Md., Harpers Ferry, Va., and Bedford, Pa. Society members attending the excursion included Charles Barrington, Joseph William Bates, Charles Pancoast, Frederick Graff, Samuel Corlies, George Bacon Wood, Samuel Sartain, W.H. Walmsley, Francis T. Fassitt, lens maker Joseph Zentmayer, Thomas H. McCollin, and Browne. Views depict scenes during the excursion along the canal, including canal barges; bridges, aquaducts; Paw Paw Tunnel; John Brown's Fort; a Bedford woman attending an outside bake oven; an African American boy sitting upon a porch of an old Maryland mill; the Photo Party at Patterson's Creek, Md.; a horse team pulling an oak log near Harper's Ferry; an old Bedford mill; and a barn covered with circus posters. Additional views depict the Brooklyn Bridge; sailing vessels on the New York Harbor, including the steamboat Maryland; and animals at the Philadelphia Zoo. Other animal portraiture includes horses posed with African American handlers (p.26-7), a cow and calf at Forrest Hill, PA, a pony ride at Central Park, and family dogs. Also includes a portrait of Lizzie Gilpin at Forrest Hill., Title supplied by cataloger., Front free end paper signed John C. Browne., Blue cloth binding, with gilt and stamped: Album., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., See John C. Browne's "The Photographic Society of Philadelphia Annual Excursion, May 21-29, 1882," Philadelphia Photographer 19 (July 1882), p. 213-215., See George Bacon Wood research file, copy of "Excursion of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia over the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, May 22 to 29th 1882. Read at meeting June 7th, 1882 by Geo. B. Wood.", Insert: handkerchief printed with photograph vignettes [P.9318a] removed and housed with Textiles Collection, Print Department., Added to African Americana Digital Collection through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of the Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, Governor, 2013-2014., Browne was a founder of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

Photographic views of New City Building
Albums of progress photographs of the early construction of City Hall built 1871-1901 on Penn Square after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. Photographs show different stages of the construction of the foundation and lower floor of the building between 1873 and 1875. Includes images of the dirt sub basement; construction materials, equipment, and workers; aerial views of the built foundation; partially completed walls and abutments; and studio views of columns and architectural ornaments. Several of the views include scaffolding; horse-drawn carts; pulleys; piles of construction debris; Pennsylvania Railroad cars on Market Street; and workers and well-dressed men, probably the commissioners, reviewing and posed on or near constructed parts of the building and construction materials. Views also show surrounding cityscape, including the Masonic Temple (Broad and Filbert); United States Mint (1331-1337 Chestnut Street); the Seventh Presbyterian Church (Broad Street above Chestnut Street); Pennsylvania Railroad Freight Depot (13th and Market); La Salle College High School (Filbert and Juniper); Sharpless & Watts, flooring tile (1325 Market Street); the spires of Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church (s.w. cor. Broad & Arch) and First Baptist Church (n.w. cor. Broad and Arch); and other surrounding businesses (beer hall, wall paper, and furniture) and residences., Volume 1 (Oct. 1873-Aug. 1874) contains two tipped in letters, dated December 26, 1873 and June 27, 1874, from President of the Commissioners for the Erection of the Public Buidlings Samuel C. Perkins. Correspondence presents the stereographs, "authorized to be taken by the commissioners," as a means for the library to "have for preservation in [the] archives a complete photographic record of the progress of a work which under any aspect must be considered as of marked importance in our local history.", Stereographs numbered, dated, and printed with the series title "Views of Construction in Sub-Basement" or "Views of Construction" and the names of the architect, chief assistant, and board of commissioners on the verso., Calf bindings, polished and mottled., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Volume 1 image reproduced in The Print and Photograph Department of the Library Company of Philadelphia's Center City Philadelphia in the 19th century (Portsmouth, N.H.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006), p. 116., Samuel C. Perkins, a Philadelphia lawyer, served as president of the Commissioners for the Erection of the Public Buidlings 1872-1891., Housed in phase boxes.

Photographs taken by Robert Waln Leaming 1865-1875 at Ashwood, Villa Nova, Delaware County, Penna. Lancaster Pike and Spring Mill Road
Album containing 67 photographs showing the grounds and residence of the Ashwood estate near Villanova during different seasons; neighboring properties in Delaware and Montgomery counties; and formally posed family portraiture. Images include the front and rear facade of the Ashwood residence and landscape views of the grounds; Paxson's Mill and Dam in Radnor; J. Howard Lewis's paper mill at Darby Creek; 'Hammer Hollow," including the mill dam; Gulph Mill (Montgomery County); Leaming's other family estate Waln Grove near Frankford; old spring houses near Gulph Mill and Paxson's Mill; and Ancrum, "Seat of the Scotts Baronets of Ancrum Scotland." Many of the estate views include Leaming's wife and children (attired in clothing appropriate to the season) posed at the residence and on the grounds, including near fences, the barn, woods, and creek and in characters, as tableaux, and with farm and domesticated pets. Also contains photographic reproductions and photo-collages. Reproductions depict the the "Scott of Ancrum" family tree and Leaming's painting "Where the Sea Mew roams" and the collages show Leaming's daughters in a parlor setting (possibly Ashwood) and painted works by Jean Louis Ernest Meissonier, James Reid Lambdin, and Edwin Henry Landseer including the visage of Robert Waln Leaming. Other portrait sitters include Alice Burda, Tom Stewart, "Our Truck-man" in his horse-drawn buggy; the "Coachman" with horse "'Nelly'"and Mrs. Scott, i.e., probably, Leaming's mother-in-law Mary Emlen Scott, Blue morocco binding, plate on front cover: R. W. Leaming and stamped: Photographs., Title from inscription on front free end paper. Also includes family tree of descendants of Robert Waln Leaming and his wife Julia Scott (1821-1914)., Insert: Portrait print of Robert Waln engraved by Samuel Sartain after 1825 painting by Jacob Eicholtz. Verso inscribed with biographical information., Captions by Robert Waln Leaming below the images., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR [Annual Report] 1999, p. 45-46., Gift of Mrs. Clifford Lewis III., Housed in phase box., Robert Waln Leaming, grandson of China Trade merchant Robert Waln, was a merchant by trade who also painted and practiced photography. He was married to Julia Scott, descended from the royal Scotts of Ancrum, with whom he had four children Rebecca, i.e., Reb (1850-1911); Mary, i.e., Mame (1851-1911); Julia, i.e., Duly (1854-1913), and Thomas (1856-1911). Leaming was also an active member of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia. His residence Ashwood, not to be confused with the Penn-Gaskell/DeCosta property of the same name (208 Ashwood Road, Villanova), was razed in the late 19th century.

Portrait photograph album of Mary McPhilomy
Photographs predominantly depict the acquaintances and relatives of the McPhilomy family of Philadelphia, including men, women, and children. Most are bust-length portraits, with a number of full-length portraits, including a couple in bathing wear, children in sailor suits, and women fashionably attired and holding fans and purses. Many of the women and girls wear jewelry. Also includes images of a priest, a nun, a display of religious floral decorations; a sepulchral monument; a religious allegorical scene; a reproduction of a framed testimonial with portrait photograph vignettes; and a photo-collage portrait showing a man driving a horse-drawn wagon., Sitters include Mary, John and Frank McPhilomy; Rev. Mother Louis Gonzaga of the Sisters of Notre Dame (Boston); members of the Logue family, including Charles Logue; David Mulcahy (died March 31, 1876); Al. Schaff; members of the Bradford family, including John Bradford; John Keenan; members of the Sacriste family, including Mr. and Mrs. Sacriste and Hortense Sacriste White., Chromolithographed title page: The Photographic Album. Philadelphia. J.B. Lippincott & Co., [ca. 1875]., Embossed leather binding with gold stamping., Spine embossed and stamped: Photographs., Inscribed: To Miss Mamie McPhilomy with compliments of the season, Dec 25 1875. D.P.M. E.S.C., Various photographers, including A. P. Beecher of Wilmington, De.; L. S. Griffin of Jersey City, N.J. and B. Frank Saylor & Co. of Lancaster, Pa. and Philadelphia photographers, including George W. Evans, Gilbert & Bacon, and O. B. De Morat., Several sitters identified by inscriptions on mount or album page. Some misidentified due to the relocation and removal of photographs., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Binding in poor condition. Album housed in phase box.

Scenery on the Pennsylvania Railroad
Album of photographs documenting the Philadelphia, Middle, and Pittsburgh divisions of the Pennsylvania Railroad, incorporated in 1846. The consolidated company sought to build a trunk route from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh through the Allegheny mountains in order to compete with the Erie Canal for freight traffic. In 1854, rail passage through the Alleghenies via the "Horse Shoe Curve" was achieved and spurred the establishment and growth of the several towns depicted along the route., Photographs depict stations, sites, landmarks, and landscape and townscape views along the Pennsylvania Railroad. Titles include No. 1 Ardmore Station ; No. 2 Bryn Mawr Station; No. 3 Bridge at Conways at Conewago; No. 5 Mount Union; No. 6 Susquehanna Bridge at Rockville (i.e., first bridge replaced in 1877); No. 7 Track Tank; No. 8 Jack Narrows; No. 9 Triple Track; No. 12 Bryn Mawr Hotel; No. 13 Coatesville Bridge; No. 16 Powers Run Allegheny River; No. 21 Sample track near Harmersville; No. 25 East from Harmersville; No. 26 Butler; No. 29 On the Kiskimenitus below Leechburg; No. 36 Greensburg near Huffs; No. 39 Hawkins; No. 40 West of Derry; No. 41 East of Morgan; No. 42 West of Beattys Station; No. 43 Monastery West of Latrobe; No. 44 1 1/2 miles East of S. W. Penna.; No. 46 Westmoreland Coal Co.; No. 47 Braddocks, Port Perry and Steel Works; No. 48 Westmoreland Landscape; No. 49 Stewarts Sample Track; No. 50 Section of Y at Walls; No. 51 Greensburg Station ; No. 53 West of Pack Saddle; No. 55 Lockport; No. 56 Below Conemaugh Furnace; No. 58 Cresson (Panorama); No. 61 Allegheny Tunnel , Galitzen; No. 64 Soap Fat; No. 57 Cresson (Panorama); No. 59 Kittanning from McGarveys; No. 65 Pulpit Rock; No. 67 From McKees Gap; No. 76 Bellefonte; No. 78 Mill Hall; No. 79 Birmingham; No. 80 Union Furnace and Station ; No. 81 Spring Creek; No. 82 Allegheny Tunnel; No. 83 Tyrone and Clearfield; No. 84 Grade on the Tyrone and Clearfield; No. 85 Bellefonte Gap;, No. 86 Mule Shoe and Deep Fill; No. 88 Pack Saddle East; No. 90 Logan House, Altoona, Pa.; No. 96 Jack Narrows, Mapleton; No. 97 Entrance to Jack Narrows; No. 98 Reservoir; No. 99 Bedford Springs; No. 100 View from Bedford Springs; No. 101 Bedford from Wickershams; No. 102 Below Bedford, Devils Backbone; No. 103 Bedford; No. 104 McVeytown Station; No. 105 Mount Dallas; No. 106 Mapleton; No. 107 Huntington; No. 108 Tuscarora Valley; No. 109 Sentinel Rock; No. 110 Tyrone Forges; No. 113 Standard Track, Lewistown Narrows; No. 114 From Centre of Susquehanna Bridge; No. 115 Terrace Mountain, Mill Creek; No. 116 From West End of Susquehanna Bridge; No. 117 Upper Mann's; No. 118 Lewistown Narrows; No. 119 Susquehanna Bridge; No. 121 Standard Track at Newport; No. 123 Across the Allegheny; No. 127 General View of Bryn Mawr; No. 124 Saltzburg; No. 130 Bryn Mawr; No. 131 Bryn Mawr; No. 138 Irwin Station; No. 139 Sample Track, Wynnewood Station ; No. 140 Haverford College; No. 142 Haverford College Station; No. 147 Bridge at Columbia [Wrightsburg?] Pa.; No. 148 Wayne Station; No. 151 Terminus at Delaware City; No. 154 Harrisburg from Fort Washington ; No. 150 Chiques (i.e., Chickie's Rock); No. 153 Henry Clay, Chiques and Marietta; No. 158 Landenburg; No. 159 Columbia Tunnel; and No. 162 Louella Residence of J. Henry Askin, Photographs include railroad tracks, locomotives and railcars, railroad equipment, bridges, tunnels, rock formations, mountains, passes, mills, furnaces, coal and steel works, hotels, Victorian-style residences, wooden dwellings and sheds, canal houses and canals, telegraph poles, townscape, farmsteads, marshland, rivers, and wooden fences. Several images, particularly views of stations, also depict posed figures, including an African American man at the Haverford College Station (No. 140). Details in other photographs include rail tracks with a water trough (No. 7); amateurishly hand-painted advertising text on a wood fence (No. 36); the "Exchange Hotel" near the Allegheny Tunnel in Galitzen (No. 61); men seated on the cow catcher of a partially visible locomotive at the grade on the Tyrone and Clearfield (No. 84); a gazebo-style pavilion at Bedford Springs (No. 199); oil tanks and drums (No. 123); the Pennsylvania Gas Coal Co. Office, a pedestrian bridge crossing over a creek, and the “Tom Smith Peanut Man” shed near Irwin Station (No. 138); the “Columbia” barge (No. 147); a "Water-Line of Boston" sailing vessel at the terminus at Delaware City (No. 151); the Martin Landenburger mill in Landenburg (No. 158); and the greenhouse attached to the residence on the Louella estate in Wayne (No. 162)., Photographer's imprint inscribed in negative of several of the photographs: F. Gutekunst, Philada. or F. Gutekunst, Photogr., Philada., Date inferred from publication date of stereographs with similar content by the photographer. See stereo - Gutekunst - Views [P.9058.1-.142]., Photograph No. 4, 10-11, 14-15, 17-20, 22-24, 27-28, 30-35, 37-38, 45, 52, 54, 60, 62-63, 66, 68-75, 77, 87, 89, 91-95, 112, 120, 122, 125-126, 128-129, 132-137, 141, 143-146, 149, 152, 155-157, 160-161 not included in album., Inscribed in pencil upper right corner on mount of photograph No. 1: 40 guards., Inscribed in pencil below image on mount of photograph No. 1: about 1876., Inscription in pencil below title on mount of photograph No. 147: Wrightsburg. “Columbia” in title circled., See Gutekunst (Pennsylvania Railroad) research file., Gift of the Greer family in memory of David St. John Greer who after starting as a co-op student at Drexel University spent his working life with the Pennsylvania Railroad with the exception of a period of service with the U.S. Navy during WWII., Gutekunst, a prominent Philadelphia photographer, published a series of Pennsylvania Railroad views stereographs in 1875.

[Scrapbook of European views]
Scrapbook containing photographic and printed views of European cities, landmarks, and historical sites. Images depict the city and landscapes; castles, palaces, and estates; cathedrals and chuches; and hotels and resorts of Germany, Russia, Spain, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Great Britain. Images also show bridges, sailing vessels, pedestrians and street traffic, persons on promenades, horse-drawn vehicles, waterways, mountains, and squares and parks. Views (interiors and exteriors) of prominent sites include Vienna Arsenal (as a museum - 1874); Crucis and Netley Abbeys; Chester Cathedral; Staffordshire-in-Arms; the resting place and residence of Wordsworth; tomb of the Lafayette family; the house and bedroom where Msr. Le Duc D'Orleans died; Ripon Cathedral; Haddon Hall; the Crescent (Buxton); Shangana Castle (includes notes by Smith about her "happy days" spent there and the death of Augustus William Heyman); and Peveril Castle. Also includes several Laurie & Whittle vues d'optique published by "act of parliament May 12, 1794" depicting views of European cities, including Venice, Rome, Madrid, Paris and Versailles, as well as a number of plates from F. Sinnett's "La France de nos jours" (ca. 1860). Views of the Wilhelm monuments at Charlottenberg; Derwentwater; Lausanne; and the Druid Stones are also included in the scrapbook., Title supplied by cataloger., Some items contain manuscript notes by Smith inscribed on mount or verso. Notes often detail personal memories., Various artists and photographers, including Alfred Lorens, G. Zocchi, Anth. Canale (Canaletto), M. Marieschi, J. Rigaud, J. Philippe, Asselineau, Chapuy, Wegelin, E. Dardoize, L. L. Raze, E. H. Buckler, T. Bailey, G. Hawkins, J. Croston, T. Allom, H. Gastineau, J. Brandard, W. Coles; L. Aspland, and W. Westall., Various engravers, including T. Bowles, Parr, J. Robert, J. Tinney, Johann Baptist Marie Chamouin, T. Speorli, S. Lacey, W. Le Petit, H. Adlard, W. Floyd, and W. Banks., Various printers and publishers, including Cuvillier, Lemercier, Laurie & Whittle, A. Hauser (Veith et Hauser), Destouches, Deroy, Bulla Freres et Jouy, Tirpenne, Jacottet, Spengler, Becquet frères, William Judson, A. LaRiviere, Day & Son, J. Gow, J. C. Bates, Newman & Co., James Gratton, and M & N. Hanhart., Forms part of M. Rebecca Darby Smith Scrapbooks Collection., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Scrapbook of original and printed art works]
Scrapbook containing predominantly original amateur art work, including watercolors, pencil works, and crayon drawings. Also contains engraved illustrations, photographic reproductions of paintings and sculptures, and lithographs. Subjects of the imagery include landscapes and marinescapes; scenes of rural life; portraiture of animals (birds, elephant, pig) and people; figure studies; allegorical figures; the work of Horatio Stone and Hortense Hazard; costume plates from "La France de nos jours" (1860); and religious and sentimental (courtship) scenes. Printed and inscribed titles include The Lion in Love; Masque d'Omphale; Polixene; Pâtre De Se. Saveur; Costumes Des Maconnaises; Costumes Des Bressannes; Une Bacchante; The Risen Redeemer; The Holy Family; The Trusty Servant; The Widow (painted by Smith's cousin J. L. Fisher); Blackbird and Thrush in Covert; Ceres; "The Highland soldier bidding adieu to his love"; "Pig-Pig-Pig"; La Maitress du Titian; and Japan Rose. Scrapbook also includes a crayon rubbing of the monumental brass on the tomb of Sir John Ratcliffe and Dame Alice at Crathwaite Church (Keswick, Cumberland); a series of French etchings satirizing the military; a photograph of the "Arsenal at Vienna"; and a trade card for the Interlaken Grand Hotel Victoria., Title supplied by cataloger., Few items removed., Many items contain corresponding inscriptions (often illegible) by the artist or inscriptions on verso by Smith explicating provenance., Various artists and engravers including P. Planat, H. Richter, W. Froden, Maurice, H. Moses, Hanlon, and G. Fairman., Various printers and publishers including George Baxter, Ducarme, Langlume, Auguste Bry, LeBlond & Co., Leighton Bros., Destouches, and Smith, Elder, & Co., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Scrapbook of portraits]
Scrapbook containing portrait prints and photographs of American and European historical figures, dignitaries, and celebrities, including several images of Queen Victoria. Majority of portraits are cartes de visite depicting full or three-quarter length views, often also showing props, including balustrades, chairs, and backdrops. Sitters include Simon Cameron, Lord Byron, Lord Cranworth, Charlotte Cushman, the young Edward VII, Percy Fitzgerald, Joseph Hew[e]s, John Hogan, James Logan, Frederick Marryat, Michelangelo, D. L. Moody, Napoleon III, Winfield Scott, Rev. Cortlandt Van Rensselaer, Queen Victoria, Sir William Wilde, Lady Wilde, and Lord Wodehouse. Also contains a small number of unidentified portraits; patriotic song sheets illustrated with military leaders of No. 1 and No. 2 Arméee Française, including Felix Douay; and images of statuary, including the sculpture of Alexander Hamilton by Horatio Stone., Title supplied by cataloger., Some items identified by, or contain, manuscript notes by Smith inscribed on mount or verso. Notes often explicate provenance., Various artists, photographers, and engravers including A. Blaikely, D. J. Pound, F. Winterhalter, J. B. Longacre, F. Kearny, A. Bernoud, W. Behnes, O. A. Lawson, J. Horsburgh, M. B. Brady, John Sartain, J. Bonnet, O. W. Wilson, C. Herberth, and Fratelli Alinari., Various printers and publishers including George C. Leighton, John Wanamaker & Co., B. Rogers, Adam Waldie, and Morris pere et fils., Forms part of M. Rebecca Darby Smith Scrapbooks Collection., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Scrapbook of prints]
Scrapbook containing predominantly clipped book and periodical illustrations, including a number of vignettes engraved by W. E. Tucker after the work of Thomas Birch, showing European and American landscapes and landmarks, animal portraiture, and genre and Biblical scenes. Landscape and landmark views mainly depict the Eastern United States and Great Britain. Titles include Passaic Falls; Bandit's Home; The Woodlands, near Philadelphia-Seat of J. Lisle Esq.; Philadelphia from the Elm Tree, Kensington; The Prison at Venice; Abbey Gate of St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk; The Little Irish Girl; The City of Pompeii; The Deluge; The Three Maries at the Tomb of Christ; The Residence of Samuel Breck Esq. on the Schuylkill; Barlborough Hall, Derbyshire; Church Street, St Paul's Church & the Cemetery Gate of St. Augustine's Monastery, Canterbury; The Happy Family; and Plate XV from a 1782 edition of Don Quixote. Several of the views contain persons on foot, images of estates or rural life, farm animals, and modes of transportation on land or sea. Animal portraitures depict birds, sheep, goats, cows, and a wolf. Scrapbook also contains early European landscape lithographs designed by J. Rothmuller and G. Englemann; a lithograph signed with the monogram JPL; illustrated title pages from Oliver Goldsmith's "The Traveler" and William Shenstone's "The School Mistress"; a portrait of Elizabeth Fry; cutouts depicting a tiger and a Moses-like figure; watercolor and gouache drawings of flowers, a butterfly and a ruins; a pressed feather; and three newspaper clippings referring to poets M. LaMartine, Lady Flora Hastings, and Felicia Hemans., Title supplied by cataloger., Label pasted on inside front cover: A. R. Poole, Fancy Stationer, 66 Chestnut St., Philada., Some pages contain paste marks from removed items., Various artists, including T. Doughty, T. Birch, J. V. Barber, P. Dewint, B. K. Fox, L. T. Lee, J. Martin, J. Rothmuller, Charles Barber, Joseph Fussell, R. Westall, G. S. Newton, A. Mosses, B. West, Geo. Shepherd, John Boaden, and Stothard., Various engravers, including W. E. Tucker, W. Miller, C. G. Childs, J. Lybrand, Hall, Charles Pye, Robert Brandard, Mottram, J. W. Steel, J. B. Longacre, E. Smith, J. Neagle, H. Adlard, Hamilton, and William Blake., Various printers and publishers, including Engelmann, Whittaker & Co., Joyce Gold, Pendleton, and Harrison & Co., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Binding in poor condition., Mary Rebecca Darby Smith (1814-1886) was the daughter of Philadelphia Quakers Hannah Logan Fisher (1777-1846) and James Smith (d. 1826) and great great granddaughter of scholar and William Penn's secretary James Logan. Smith, known as an eccentric, never married and traveled widely from the mid to late 19th century. Between 1859 and 1886, she resided in Washington, D.C (1859-1861) and traveled to Europe (1860-1870; 1874-1876; 1880-1886), including the British Isles, Rome, Venice, Paris and St. Petersburg. She was also an autograph collector, author, poet, and socialite. Smith died and was buried in London in November 1886. Her estate was valued at over $30,000 and she left several bequests, including to the Library Company, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, and friends throughout the East coast of the United States, Europe, and Russia.

[Scrapbook of prints and clippings]
Scrapbook containing primarily clipped book and periodical illustrations, as well as newspaper clippings from the 1820s to circa 1840. Illustrations predominantly depict portraits of prominent figures, including Capt. Nicholas Biddle and Gen. Anthony Wayne; landscapes, including Fairmount Water Works, Paris, and Italy; European dwellings; and genre, sentimental, and allegorical scenes, including depictions of children with animals, scenes of courtship, amusement, and solemnity; literary allusions; and a "Hen Humming Bird with her Nest of Eggs." Clippings, a number from the National Gazette, contain poems, parables, obituaries, biographical sketches, and literary references. Other topics include advice to save costs from the hardship of winter in Philadelphia, including lessening wages for servants and purchasing less butter at market; the importance of medical testimony; and a positive review of the recitation of a George A. Boker poem of war by Smith. Scrapbook also contains a silhouette of a soldier on horseback and tipped-in printed works, including the program for the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840; ca. 1887 trade cards for the Au Bon Marche Paris department store; the 1857 illustrated songsheet "Come Whoam To thi Childer An Me"; and an 1845 newspaper clipping of an excerpt of "The Diary of a Young Mother" by Lady Willoughby, Title supplied by cataloger., Pasted on first page: Illustrated title page of edition of "Ladies Album. Published by R. De Silver, No. 110 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. Illustration shows a young man playing a trumpet near a young woman reading, with her dog, along a riverbank., Manuscript notes in blue ink on first page: Rebecca D. Smith; The Injured and Persecuted One., Few pages contain paste marks from removed items., Various artists, including T. Birch, John Trumbull, F. Nash, C. Fielding, W. Brockedon, Strickland, J. C., T. Doughty; B. K. Fox, W. G. Wall, W. D. Fellows, and Richd. R. Smith., Various engravers, including P. Kearny, J. Warr, Jr., Edwin, C. G. Childs, Leney, Fairman & Childs, Tiebout, Porlier, G.B. Ellis, W. Woodruff, J. Lybrand, Peter Maverick, J. Hill, and Langton., Various printers and publishers, including Edwd. Parker, William Allen, F. Kearny, and Testu & Massin., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Binding in poor condition.

Two weeks in the Yellowstone.
Limited edition, souvenir miniature book containing a photographic frontispiece and describing a Vaux family trip to the Yellowstone National Park in August 1885. Photograph shows a woman and young man, probably Mary Vaux and one of her brothers, standing near a geyser, probably one of the several described in the text., Paper binding., Back endpaper printed: Two weeks in the Yellowstone, By Wm. S. Vaux Jr., Contains extract taken from a diary kept at the time. Edition limited fifty copies. Illustrated with Photographs. Price 25 cts., post paid. Address: Wm s. Vaux Jr., 1715 Arch St., Philada., Dedication: To the member of our family, whom I plague while at home and mourn for while away, This book is affectionately dedicated., Registered no. 3., Gift from the heirs of Paul D.I. and Anna S. Maier: James H. Maier, Anthony M. Maier, Marianna M. Thomas, and Cynthia C. Maier., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Copy also held in the Special Collections, Haverford College Library, Haverford, Pa., Housed in phase box., William S. Vaux, Jr. was one of the trio of siblings of Philadelphia photographers, mountaineers, and scientists that also included Mary M. Vaux (1860-1940) and George Vaux, Jr. (1863-1927). An architect by trade, Vaux and his siblings extensively explored, studied, and photographically documented the West beginning with their trip to Yellowstone National Park in 1885. The family photographic expeditions focused on the Canadian Rocky and Selkirk Mountains over a period of twenty years following their first visit to that region in 1887. The Vauxes, recognized as expert glaciologists published and spoke about their observations of the glaciers in the scientific community, delivering papers for such organizations as the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences. Vaux was also a member of the American Academy of Natural Sciences and an executive of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia until his untimely death in 1908.

Views at Chestnutwold, residence of C.H. Clark.
Album of 12 photographic views showing the West Philadelphia estate of Philadelphia banker and collector Clarence Howard Clark at 4200 Locust Street. Images depict the front gate to the residence, the residence, green house and garden, and pond with fountain. Also depicts members of Clark's family posed at the residence, on the grounds, in a goat carriage, and in a boat on the pond. Views also include an African American servant posed near an entrance, gardeners at the greenhouse, wooded areas, paths, and lawn chairs., Photographer's imprint from blind stamp on mounts., Title from brown morocco binding, plate on front cover., Bookplate of The Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church pasted inside front cover. Typed Gift of Clarence Clark Zantzinger (1925)., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR [Annual Report] 1990, p. 54., Housed in phase box., Added to African Americana Digital Collection through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of the Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, Governor, 2013-2014., Clarence Howard Clark, banker, book collector, philanthropist, horticulturalist, and prominent land developer of West Philadelphia resided in Chesnutwold from about the 1860s. The property was originally built by Samuel K. Hopkins Jr. for banker Nathaniel Borrodail Browne after 1851. Altered during the 1880s, including an addition, the estate grounds were open to the public by 1895 when Clark donated some of his other land holdings for an adjacent public park (i.e., Clark Park). Following Clark's death, Chestnutwold was presumed to be given to the city as a public park, but instead was purchased in 1917 by The Divinity School of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Clark was married to Amie Hampton Westcott (d. 1870) and later Marie Motley Davis with whom he had three sons, including Philadelphia mayor Joseph S. Clark.

Views of Ashwood, Gulph Mills, and other sites in Delaware County and surrounding counties in Pennsylvania
Album containing 24 photographs showing landscape views of Delaware County and portraiture of family and acquaintances. Images include exterior and interior views of the Leaming family estate Ashwood near Villanova and views of Conshohocken, Darby Creek near Lewis Mill, Valley Forge, Gulph and Morris mills and dams, Hammer Hollow, and farmland in Cream and Pleasant valleys. Also contains an image of Radnor Meeting House and a photographic reproduction of a cloud filled sky captioned "Sic Itur ad Astra" (i.e., thus you shall go the stars). Many of the views include Leaming's wife and children and others posed in parlors; with animals; on bridges and dirt paths; at brooks, creeks, spring houses, and barns; and in modes of transportion, including canoes and horse-drawn vehicles. Other portrait sitters include Alice Bourda and children Ernie Law, Tommy Gaffney, Henny Lewis, and Og Hoffman., Wooden binding., Title supplied by cataloger., Captions by Robert Waln Leaming on the recto and verso of the album pages., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., See LCP AR [Annual Report] 1999, p. 45-46., Gift of Mrs. Clifford Lewis III., Housed in phase box., Robert Waln Leaming, grandson of China Trade merchant Robert Waln (1765-1836), was a merchant by trade who also painted and practiced photography. He was married to Julia Scott, descended from the royal Scotts of Ancrum, with whom he had four children Rebecca, i.e., Reb (1850-1911); Mary, i.e., Mame (1851-1911); Julia, i.e., Duly (1854-1913), and Thomas (1856-1911). Leaming was also an active member of the Photographic Society of Philadelphia. His residence Ashwood, not to be confused with the Penn-Gaskell/DeCosta property of the same name (208 Ashwood Road, Villanova), was razed in the late 19th century.

Views of Fairmount Park Philadelphia 1866
Album of photographs of aerial and landscape views taken in the park during the Centennial Exhibition of 1876, which celebrated the centennial of the United States through an international exhibition of industry, agriculture, and art. Photographs predominately depict views from observation towers at George's Hill and Lemon Hill. Images show the Centennial Exhibition grounds, including the buildings, monuments, ponds, 24th Ward Reservoir, and Centennial Station and tracks of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad; Fairmount Water Works; Girard College and surrounding neighborhood, including Brewerytown; the breweries of H. J. Walter (North Thirty-third and Thompson streets), Bergner & Engel (3200 block Thompson Street), F. A. Poth (North Thirty-first and Jefferson streets) and Bergdoll & Psotta (Twenty-ninth and Parish streets, built 1875); boat houses and landings near the waterworks; bridges, including the Wire Suspension Bridge at Fairmount, Girard Avenue Bridge, and New York Connecting Railroad Bridge; and cityscape. Also contains views of Wissahickon Creek and Fairmount Park, including Belmont Pumping Station, fountains, landscaped gardens, and the observation tower at George's Hill; the Lincoln and Humboldt monuments; signage on the Centennial pavilions; and park visitors., Title from black morocco binding, stamped front cover. Stamped with incorrect date., Spine stamped: Views. Fairmount Park 1866., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Select images reproduced in Kenneth Finkel's Nineteenth-century photography in Philadelphia (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1980).

Views of Loudoun and Stenton, residences of Maria Dickinson Logan and her brother, Albanus C. Logan, Germantown, Philadelphia
Album of snapshots showing the Logan family residence Loudoun erected for Thomas Armat (photographer's great grandfather) in 1800 at 4650 Germantown Avenue and Stenton, the Logan family country seat at 4601 North Eighteenth Street in Germantown. Contains interior views of Loudoun depicting the parlor and a bedroom. Also includes views of the Stenton grounds showing a wood pile, a hay stack, and rafts of lumber floating down a creek, possibly Wingohocking and portraiture, including an image of the photographer at her camera outside of the Stenton residence. Furniture and interior decoration includes arm chairs, settes, tables, framed paintings, chandeliers, fireplaces, sculpted busts, desks, mantlepieces, lamps, framed photographs, and plates. Also contains a portrait of her brother Albanus Charles; a group portrait, including the photographer, Albanus, and a woman identified as C. Dallett in front of George Logan's barn at Stenton; and an exterior view of a large stone residence captioned "Sammy [Gilles?]," possibly a tenant house on the Stenton property., Title supplied by cataloger., Leather binding, front cover stamped: Photographs., Photographer's imprint stamped on verso of tipped in photographs., Some tipped in photographs contain manuscript notes on verso. One photograph contains manuscript note on recto and verso. Recto: Room in L[oudoun] Return. Verso: The table 100 years old here is by this bed & a antique desk by fireplace., Insert: Folded fabric bookmark., Label for "Ward's Dark Leaf Albums" pasted on back cover advertising the size, style, and price for their "two styles of binding": Art Cloth and Seal Grain. Prices range from 25 cents to $2.50 for 3 1/4 x 4 1/2 to 10 x 12 inches., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., See also loose prints of Loudoun and Stenton by Logan (photo - 5x7 - [P.9276.82-93])., Maria Dickinson Logan, daughter of Anna Armat (1820-1895) and great great granddaughter of James Logan Gustavus Logan (1815-1876), resided, photographed, and worked to preserve the Logan family Germantown estates Loudoun and Stenton. At her death in 1939, Logan, a Colonial Dame, bequeathed several pieces of family furniture to Stenton (under the stewardship of the National Society of Colonial Dames since the early 20th century) as well as her residence, Loudoun, to the city of Philadelphia for use as a historic house.