For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
- Album of photographs predominantly showing the grounds of the Philadelphia Zoo in Fairmount Park, in West Philadelphia. Contains views of the Victorian-style gatehouse after the designs of Frank Furness; "The Dying Lioness" statue after the design of Wilhelm Wolff casted in 1875 at the entrance courtyard; lions, tigers, a jaguar and a zebra walking, standing, and grazing in their caged areas; an elephant, camel, lama, mountain goat, and caribou in fenced yards; buffalo grazing on a pasture; and Solitude, the country retreat of John Penn built in 1785 on the grounds of the zoo (miscaptioned as "Wm Penn's House, Fairmount Park"). Images include zoo keepers, visitors, gates, fencing, "Admission Today" signage, and partial views of other buildings on the zoo grounds. Also contains portrait photographs of a man and woman, probably Josie and Emil, and sculler "Andrew C. Craig, Undine Boat Club" on the Schuylkill River. Craig view also includes cityscape and trees along the riverbank in the background. The Philadelphia Zoo, the first in the nation, opened in 1874., Calligraphed on cover: Photographs., Contains pasted label on front page: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Uncle Joe from Josie & Emil., Contains pasted label on back cover: Ward's Souvenir Album. Made in Light Gray and Dark Gray Leaves. This book is no. 141., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Housed in phase box.