Back to top

Cataract House, Niagara Falls.
Trade card showing the exterior of the three-story hotel originally built in 1825 near the falls. Also shows the ca. 1835 addition and outbuilding on the bank of the falls in the foreground. Gen. Parkhurst Whitney purchased the hotel in 1831 and leased it to Whitney, Jeraud & Co. in 1846., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Forms part of Scrapbook of Ephemera [8608.F].

[Checks, bank notes, billheads, and receipts specimens]
Series of checks, bank notes, billheads, and receipts, containing allegorical and patriotic vignettes and ornate pictorial details. Vignettes depict allegorical female figures, including Liberty, Hope, Justice, and Bounty; animals, including the American eagle, a dog protecting a safe, and bucks; and patriotic figures, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ulysses Grant. Other vignettes depict a view of a traveling locomotive; the seal of Pennsylvania; and views of harvested produce and grains. Businesses represented include A. Exton & Co., cracker manufacturers; Heywood, Kilburn & Co., chair and cottage furniture dealers; West Branch National Bank; Perry County Bank; Reed & Schell, bankers; First National Bank of Sunbury; and Jefferson Savings Institute., Title supplied by cataloger., Several of series printed in color ink, including blue, green, tan, and violet., Print P.9399.390 inscribed to John Mayer for $23.00 three months after date [illegible]. 24 Feb. H five. Feb 23rd., Various printers, including Ehrgott & Fobriger; Lehman & Bolton; Theodore Leonhardt; Wm. F. Murphy's Sons (& Sons); and Paul & Lindsay., Originally part of Specimen Album [P.9349]., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Church, corner 4th St. & Washington Av. Morrissania, Long Island, N.Y.
Architectural view showing the Gothic-style Methodist Episcopal church for the parish established in 1850. Also shows pedestrian traffic., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Dwelling house, corner Avenue A & 85th Street, New York.
Architectural view showing the Victorian-style residence with mansard roof and a porch. Land and townscape is visble in the background., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Grice & Long, patentees. Steam passenger car and self adjusting trucks for rail way curves. Offices 205 1/2 Walnut St. Philada. 94 Wall St. New York.
Trade card containing a central vignette showing a "Grice & Long" street car on a city block. Car contains ornate details. Cityscape is visible in background. Grice & Long, the partnership between Trenton entrepreneur Joseph Grice and Philadelphia engineer Robert H. Long, was established in 1860. The firm originally marketed their steam passenger car (patented by Long in 1860) for street railways, before changing production to steam railways in 1861. The firm dissolved in 1871., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Hoofland's German bitters, a pure tonic.
Advertisement for the patent medicine showing a medieval scene. Depicts a bearded monk, outside, on his knees, using a bellows to stoke a fire beneath a hanging cauldron in a hearth. A large volume of text lays open, near greenery, in front of him. The bitters, named after the German physician Christoph Wilhem Hoofland (Hufeland), entered the United States market in the 1840s., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Job printing specimens for certificates, bank notes, receipts, labels, and billheads]
Series of specimens (some proofs) depicting masonic, military, allegorical, and patriotic imagery, transportation views, women, agriculture, buildings, animals, and machinery. Includes views of locomotives traveling railroad tracks; sailing and steam boats; mines and mine workers; distilleries and refineries; farmers, farm hands, and farm animals; female allegorical figures of liberty, justice, and bounty; and sailors, blacksmiths, and steam factory workers. Imagery also depicts Native Americans; peasants; sheep herding; the American eagle; masonic emblems; historical and patriotic figures, including George Washington and Benjamin Franklin; storefronts, factories, and government buildings, including A. Exton cracker bakery (Trenton, N.J.) and Phoenix Iron Foundry (Wilmington, Del.); military camp and solider; deers, dogs, and children with animals; state and corporate seals, including Pennsylvania; and a city block on fire and an erupted volcano., Title supplied by cataloger., Various printers, including Ehrgott & Fobriger, Klauprech & Menzel, Stein & Jones, and Jacob Weiss., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Label specimens]
Series of labels, primarily textile (wool, silk, mohair), containing allegorical, patriotic, and nationalistic vignettes and pictorial details. Vignettes and details depict Vice Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, coats of arms, the female allegorical figure of Columbia, and a view of a flock of sheep among a grove of trees. Brands represented include Bradford Make, Collingwood Brand, Favorite Ottoman Reversible, Lady Washington, and Royal Shawl., Title supplied by cataloger., Print P.9399.285 stamped on recto: Wm. S. Skinner. David M. Test., Originally part of Specimens Album [P.9349]., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Nineteenth-century view of a group of people attired in fancy dress]
Shows individuals of all ages in fancy dress in a parlor. All stand except a lady seated in a chair. Costumes include a shepherdess, a fop, and a lady of the Republican Court. Also shows a boy with a beak mask peering into the room from behind a curtain in the left of the image., Title supplied by cataloger., Inscribed upper right corner: 47., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Old Philadelphia views 1861
Album of photographs, predominately half stereographs, of landscape views of Philadelphia and Bucks County. Images include views of Frankford Creek, Tohickon Creek, Wissahickon Creek, Tacony Creek, Pleasantville, Crescentville, Germantown, Fairmount Park near the water works, and winter scenery. Also contains photographs of Stenton, Woodlands Cemetery, the Desilverwood Estate (Holmesburg), the Burd family monuments at St. Stephen's Church (Philadelphia), the city garden of Joseph R. Evans (329 Pine Street), Atlantic City, and Richmond, Va. Images include trees, creek banks, rocks, waterfalls, dams, bridges, mills, and farm land. Many also include posed figures, including a man, probably one of Moran's artist brothers Edward or Thomas, painting in a ravine and scenes titled "Student at Work"; "Autumn in the Woods - burning leaves"; and "Sit up Sir" showing a man with a dog., Title from inscription on spine., Spine stamped in gilt: Photographs., Blue morocco binding., Photographs arranged four to a page, numbered, and identified by captions inscribed below the images., Letter from Ferdinand J. Dreer to [George W. Childs?], March 12, 1861 pasted on verso of front cover. Letter begins "Accept from your friend a few photographs & stereoscope views... of the work of a young native artist" and explains they were not sent for "their intrinsic value, but as beautiful studies and highly artistic.", Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Housed in phase box., Gift of Ruth Molloy.

[Proof of sheet music cover depicting a kangaroo]
Shows kangaroo on a dirt path lined with bushes., Inscribed lower right corner: 155., Title supplied by cataloger., Knirsch worked in Philadelphia between 1858 and circa 1861., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Right Revd. Francis Xavier Gartland. First Bishop of Savannah Ga.
Three-quarter length portrait showing the Dublin-born bishop and former Philadelphia vicar-general, attired in his robes and vestments, and seated. He holds the Bible in one hand. The back of his ornate chair is partially visible. Gartland served as bishop of Savannah 1850-1854., Inscribed lower right corner: 141., Contains clerical seal "Episcopus Savannensis" below the image., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Boell operated from 311 Walnut Street from 1860 to 1865.

Sewing Machine Polka
Sheet music cover showing four well-dressed women in a finely-decorated parlor with a sewing machine. Two women, with a cat and sheet of paper at their feet, work at the machine in the center of the room. Near them another woman stands and observes as another woman across the room sews by hand while seated on a chair. In the background, skyline at dusk is visible through a large window with drawn-back drapery., Printed on recto: 5., Inscribed lower left corner: 51., See also proof before letters and color [P.9349.56b]., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Trade cards for Ehrgott, Fobriger & Co.]
Series of illustrated trade cards for the Cincinnati lithographers, engravers, and printers. Imagery includes an allegorical female figure seated near objects symbolic of the arts and sciences, including a paint palette, compass, globe, and books and scenes of a farmer at his plow, a traveling locomotive, and sailing vessels on the ocean. Other pictorial details include ornate frames surrounding advertising text. Frames contain scrolls and bunches of grapes. The premier firm established in 1856 operated as Ehrgott, Fobriger & Co. between 1860 and 1869., Title supplied by cataloger., Color lithographs printed in either blue, green, or violet ink., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.