© Copyright 2017 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact the IT Manager and Digital Humanities Coordinator
- Album containing photographs of railroad bridges and stations along the B&O Railroad's Philadelphia Division linking Baltimore and Philadelphia taken on a trip made by a small group of B&O Railroad employees who surveyed the line in March 1891. Under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt and Foreman of Bridges and Buildings George W. Andrews, the group set out from Baltimore riding on a hand cart to inspect and photograph 78 bridges and culverts spanning rivers, creek, runs, and roads in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania; and 37 of the nearly 70 stations along the line. Images depict a variety of common railroad bridges including through truss bridges, deck truss bridges, deck plate girder bridges, pony plate girder bridges and stone arch culverts as well as images of two major bridges crossing the Susquehanna River near Havre de Grace and the Brandywine River in Wilmington. Album also documents a variety of types of small railroad stations as well as three urban railroad stations designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness: the Philadelphia Terminal at 24th and Chestnuts Streets, and the Water Street and Delaware Avenue Stations in Wilmington., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2001, pg. 58-9.
- Depicts the Queen Anne-style train station at Dupont and Delaware Avenues, constructed in 1886 after designs by Furness, Evans & Co. A group of men and boys stand under the lantern-lined arcade covering the train platform. An identical arcade runs the length of the platform on the opposite side of the tracks. The Logan House sits behind the train station in the image, named after the Civil War hero, General John Logan. A through truss bridge is visible in the distance.
- View of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company employees who conducted the 111-mile survey of the bridges, culverts and stations along the newly constructed Philadelphia Division connecting Baltimore and Philadelphia. Includes from left to right: George W. Andrews, Dr. Robb, William A. Pratt, and P.G. McNamee.
- Depicts the timber Howe truss bridge spanning the Susquehanna River between Havre de Grace and Perryville, Maryland. The bridge was 6,000 feet in length and was comprised of twelve 250 foot spans with a through truss at the center, and rose 94 feet above mean low tide. This bridge was replaced in 1908.