Back to top

Depot 24th and Chestnut St., Philadelphia.
Exterior view looking at the north and east elevations of the Philadelphia terminal of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at the southwest corner of 24th and Chestnut streets. Frank Furness designed the station. Built between 1886 and 1888., Part of an album containing photographs of railroad bridges and stations along the B&O Railroad's Philadelphia Division taken on a trip made by a small group of B&O Railroad employees, under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt, who surveyed the line in March 1891., Reproduced in The Print and Photograph Department of the Library Company of Philadelphia's Center City Philadelphia in the 19th century (Portsmouth, N.H.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006), p. 76., Arcadia caption text: Philadelphia architect Frank Furness designed three railroad stations for the Baltimore & Ohio (B & O) Railroad including the Philadelphia depot constructed between 1886 and 1888 at the southeast corner of Twenty-fourth and Chestnut streets. The Schuylkill East Side Railroad, a line chartered by the B & O with the Reading Railroad, ran south from Fairmount along the east side of the Schuylkill River, connected with the new terminal, and continued south to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Both railroad companies wanted to compete with the Pennsylvania Railroad's profitable line to the Capital. This photograph was part of an 1891 photographic survey of the B & O Railroad's bridges and stations between Baltimore and Philadelphia., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2001, pg. 58-9.