Back to top

Bridges and buildings, Philadelphia Division, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, 1891. [graphic] : W.A. Pratt, Div. Engr. M of W.
Album containing photographs of railroad bridges and stations along the B&O Railroad's Philadelphia Division linking Baltimore and Philadelphia taken on a trip made by a small group of B&O Railroad employees who surveyed the line in March 1891. Under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt and Foreman of Bridges and Buildings George W. Andrews, the group set out from Baltimore riding on a hand cart to inspect and photograph 78 bridges and culverts spanning rivers, creek, runs, and roads in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania; and 37 of the nearly 70 stations along the line. Images depict a variety of common railroad bridges including through truss bridges, deck truss bridges, deck plate girder bridges, pony plate girder bridges and stone arch culverts as well as images of two major bridges crossing the Susquehanna River near Havre de Grace and the Brandywine River in Wilmington. Album also documents a variety of types of small railroad stations as well as three urban railroad stations designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness: the Philadelphia Terminal at 24th and Chestnuts Streets, and the Water Street and Delaware Avenue Stations in Wilmington., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2001, pg. 58-9.