© Copyright 2020 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
- Depicts a small, one room station, and an adjacent shed on the opposite side of the tracks. A man and a woman stand on the platform in front of the station. For views of similar station designs, see Ridley Station (P.9945.99); Collingdale Station (P.9945.106); and Sixtieth Street Station (P.9945.116).
- Album containing photographs of railroad bridges and stations along the B&O Railroad's Philadelphia Division linking Baltimore and Philadelphia taken on a trip made by a small group of B&O Railroad employees who surveyed the line in March 1891. Under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt and Foreman of Bridges and Buildings George W. Andrews, the group set out from Baltimore riding on a hand cart to inspect and photograph 78 bridges and culverts spanning rivers, creek, runs, and roads in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania; and 37 of the nearly 70 stations along the line. Images depict a variety of common railroad bridges including through truss bridges, deck truss bridges, deck plate girder bridges, pony plate girder bridges and stone arch culverts as well as images of two major bridges crossing the Susquehanna River near Havre de Grace and the Brandywine River in Wilmington. Album also documents a variety of types of small railroad stations as well as three urban railroad stations designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness: the Philadelphia Terminal at 24th and Chestnuts Streets, and the Water Street and Delaware Avenue Stations in Wilmington., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2001, pg. 58-9.
- Depicts the Queen Anne-style train station at Dupont and Delaware Avenues, constructed in 1886 after designs by Furness, Evans & Co. A group of men and boys stand under the lantern-lined arcade covering the train platform. An identical arcade runs the length of the platform on the opposite side of the tracks. The Logan House sits behind the train station in the image, named after the Civil War hero, General John Logan. A through truss bridge is visible in the distance.
- Exterior view looking at the north and east elevations of the Philadelphia terminal of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at the southwest corner of 24th and Chestnut streets. Frank Furness designed the station. Built between 1886 and 1888., Part of an album containing photographs of railroad bridges and stations along the B&O Railroad's Philadelphia Division taken on a trip made by a small group of B&O Railroad employees, under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt, who surveyed the line in March 1891., Reproduced in The Print and Photograph Department of the Library Company of Philadelphia's Center City Philadelphia in the 19th century (Portsmouth, N.H.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006), p. 76., Arcadia caption text: Philadelphia architect Frank Furness designed three railroad stations for the Baltimore & Ohio (B & O) Railroad including the Philadelphia depot constructed between 1886 and 1888 at the southeast corner of Twenty-fourth and Chestnut streets. The Schuylkill East Side Railroad, a line chartered by the B & O with the Reading Railroad, ran south from Fairmount along the east side of the Schuylkill River, connected with the new terminal, and continued south to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Both railroad companies wanted to compete with the Pennsylvania Railroad's profitable line to the Capital. This photograph was part of an 1891 photographic survey of the B & O Railroad's bridges and stations between Baltimore and Philadelphia., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2001, pg. 58-9.