Back to top

Pages


5011 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade of the Royal House, with a horse standing in front of the property. Named for Jacob S. Royal, a victualler who purchased the property in 1853. Converted to accommodate a store and apartments circa 1900. George H. Marsden's grocery store occupies the first floor., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

5261 Main St. Built by John Wister 1744.
Exterior view of west front and north side of Grumblethorpe, house built in 1744 by Philadelphia wine merchant John Wister. His house was the first in Germantown built solely for summer residency and greatly exceeded the dimensions of the homes around it, giving it the nickname "Wister's Big House.", Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

6205 Main St., built by Dirck Keyser 1738. 1st 2-story house in Germantown.
Exterior view of west front of house built by Dirck Keyser, a Mennonite preacher and silk merchant who immigrated from Amsterdam in 1688. Demolished in 1950 for a supermarket., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

American, Hawaian, Cuban flags displayed on Market St. at the outbreak of Spanish War.
Depicts two men in caps talking to each other on the sidewalk. A gentleman in a bowler walks past them on the left. To the right is a partial view of a trolley-car. Both sides of the street are visible in the background. American and Cuban flags are displayed on both sides of the street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Among the Berkshire Hills.
Among the Berkshire Hills.
Depicts a man driving a buggy with two horses down a very narrow dirt road, surrounded by unspoiled verdant countryside., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Label on mount reads: Loaned to the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

A Berkshire road. 1888.
A Berkshire road. 1888.
Depicts a slender young woman, her sleeves rolled up, wearing an apron over her long skirt and a bonnet, carrying a spray of flowers in her left hand and a basket over her right arm. She stands in a narrow dirt road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Birthplace of David Rittenhouse, born 1732. On Lincoln Drive, Germantown.
Exterior view of the residence from Lincoln Drive. David Rittenhouse was born in this house in 1732. Built circa 1770 by William Rittenhouse as part of a complex occupied by the first paper making business in the colonies., Slide number 123., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Blair House, 6043 Main St. First 3 story house, 1775. In 1851 owned by Charlotte Cushman the actress.
Exterior view of west front of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University, also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Blair House, Main & Walnut Ln. Built 1775 by Dr. Wm. Shippen, occupied also by his son in law. Rev. Saml. Blair afterward President of Princeton University.
Exterior view of west front and south side of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University , also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Slide number 66., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Broad St. looking N. from Filbert, showing the four churches on 4 corners of Arch St.
Depicts men walking and bicycling along North Broad Street, near Arch Street. The four churches near the intersection of Broad and Arch Streets are visible, including the Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church, First Baptist Church, Lutheran Church of the Holy Communion and the Masonic Temple. Includes the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company building in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

[[The]] Castle. Built 1812 [sic]. State in Schuylkill fish house below Graysferry. Old fishing club. Founded 1732.
Exterior view of the clubhouse known as The Castle of the Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, erected in 1732. Association formed for hunting and fishing, purportedly on the old estate of William Warner on the western bank of the Schuylkill River, below Gray's Ferry. Construction of the Fairmount Dam circa 1880 forced the clubhouse to find another home across the river on Rambo's Rock., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Chelten Ave. Station P.R.R. Just before it was raised [sic] 1-1916.
Exterior view of the Pennsylvania Railroad's original Chelten Avenue Station looking north along the tracks. Includes two men working on the tracks. Image taken before the old station was razed in 1916., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Chew House, Main & Johnson Sts.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, including an addition in the background. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Christ Church burying ground. 5th & Arch Sts. Phila.
Depicts the opening in the brick wall of Christ Church cemetery that exposes the grave of Benjamin Franklin near the southeast corner of 5th and Arch Streets. The scene is viewed from the northwest corner of the intersection. Several pedestrians are visible in the foreground, one of whom is looking at Franklin's grave., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Cope House, Main abv. Johnson St. [sic]
Exterior view of dwelling north of Upsal Street on the west side of Germantown Avenue. Built circa 1730, purchased by Michael Billmeyer in 1793, inherited by his son Daniel Billmeyer in 1831 and descended through the Billmeyer family until 1913., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Incorrectly identified as the Cope House on Germantown Avenue, north of Johnson Street.

Court of Honor, Peace Jubilee. Oct. 25-28, 1898. Looking north from Locust St. Shows Dundas House cor. Broad & Walnut.
Depicts the Triumphal Arch (i.e. Athenean Arch) and Court of Honor along South Broad Street, showing a large group of pedestrians walking north toward City Hall. Erected after designs by Joseph M. Huston for the Peace Jubilee, a celebration of the end of the Spanish American War in 1898. Included a military parade that passed through the Court of Honor, along with other festivities that lasted several days in October. Also depicts a partial view of the Dundas-Lippincott House at the northeast corner of Broad and Walnut Streets, built 1840-41 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Cypress planted by John Bartram. In 1830 it was 91 years old, 112 ft. high, 25 ft. in circumference.
Depicts a man standing next to a cypress tree planted by John Bartram on his estate circa 1740. The man is barely visible next to the gigantic tree., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Dwelling built 1730-1731 and altered in 1770 by botanist John Bartram.

Doorway of Chew House, 1882.
Exterior detail of front doorway of Cliveden, flanked by shutters and two identical statues. Built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 93., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Doorway to Blair House, formerly in Bensel House.
Exterior detail of front door, formerly part of the Bensel House, which was demolished for the construction of the Germantown Saving Fund. Blair House, built circa 1750, was purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University , also lived here., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also identified as the Shippen-Blair House and The Laurens.

Doorway to Johnson House, Main & Washington Ln.
Exterior detail of front doorway of house built 1765-1768 by master builder Jacob Knor and occupied by John Johnson during the Battle of Germantown. The house sustained injuries in the battle, including a hole in the parlor door caused by a cannon ball and a chipped corner of the house above the fence. Served as a station on the Underground Railroad. The Woman's Club of Germantown occupied the house after 1917., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Pages