Back to top

5011 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade of the Royal House, with a horse standing in front of the property. Named for Jacob S. Royal, a victualler who purchased the property in 1853. Converted to accommodate a store and apartments circa 1900. George H. Marsden's grocery store occupies the first floor., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

American, Hawaian, Cuban flags displayed on Market St. at the outbreak of Spanish War.
Depicts two men in caps talking to each other on the sidewalk. A gentleman in a bowler walks past them on the left. To the right is a partial view of a trolley-car. Both sides of the street are visible in the background. American and Cuban flags are displayed on both sides of the street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Among the Berkshire Hills.
Among the Berkshire Hills.
Depicts a man driving a buggy with two horses down a very narrow dirt road, surrounded by unspoiled verdant countryside., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Label on mount reads: Loaned to the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

A Berkshire road. 1888.
A Berkshire road. 1888.
Depicts a slender young woman, her sleeves rolled up, wearing an apron over her long skirt and a bonnet, carrying a spray of flowers in her left hand and a basket over her right arm. She stands in a narrow dirt road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Billmyer House, 1727, N.E. Main & Upsal Sts.
Exterior view of south side and front elevation of house built in 1727 for the Deshler family. In 1788 German printer, Michael Billmyer, bought the property and continued his printing trade from the dwelling., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Birthplace of David Rittenhouse, born 1732. On Lincoln Drive, Germantown.
Exterior view of the residence from Lincoln Drive. David Rittenhouse was born in this house in 1732. Built circa 1770 by William Rittenhouse as part of a complex occupied by the first paper making business in the colonies., Slide number 123., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Blair House, 6043 Main St. First 3 story house, 1775. In 1851 owned by Charlotte Cushman the actress.
Exterior view of west front of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University, also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Blair House, Main & Walnut Ln. Built 1775 by Dr. Wm. Shippen, occupied also by his son in law. Rev. Saml. Blair afterward President of Princeton University.
Exterior view of west front and south side of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University , also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Slide number 66., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Broad St. looking N. from Filbert, showing the four churches on 4 corners of Arch St.
Depicts men walking and bicycling along North Broad Street, near Arch Street. The four churches near the intersection of Broad and Arch Streets are visible, including the Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church, First Baptist Church, Lutheran Church of the Holy Communion and the Masonic Temple. Includes the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company building in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

[[The]] Castle. Built 1812 [sic]. State in Schuylkill fish house below Graysferry. Old fishing club. Founded 1732.
Exterior view of the clubhouse known as The Castle of the Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, erected in 1732. Association formed for hunting and fishing, purportedly on the old estate of William Warner on the western bank of the Schuylkill River, below Gray's Ferry. Construction of the Fairmount Dam circa 1880 forced the clubhouse to find another home across the river on Rambo's Rock., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Christ Church burying ground. 5th & Arch Sts. Phila.
Depicts the opening in the brick wall of Christ Church cemetery that exposes the grave of Benjamin Franklin near the southeast corner of 5th and Arch Streets. The scene is viewed from the northwest corner of the intersection. Several pedestrians are visible in the foreground, one of whom is looking at Franklin's grave., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Cope House, Main abv. Johnson St. [sic]
Exterior view of dwelling north of Upsal Street on the west side of Germantown Avenue. Built circa 1730, purchased by Michael Billmeyer in 1793, inherited by his son Daniel Billmeyer in 1831 and descended through the Billmeyer family until 1913., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Incorrectly identified as the Cope House on Germantown Avenue, north of Johnson Street.

Court of Honor, Peace Jubilee. Oct. 25-28, 1898. Looking north from Locust St. Shows Dundas House cor. Broad & Walnut.
Depicts the Triumphal Arch (i.e. Athenean Arch) and Court of Honor along South Broad Street, showing a large group of pedestrians walking north toward City Hall. Erected after designs by Joseph M. Huston for the Peace Jubilee, a celebration of the end of the Spanish American War in 1898. Included a military parade that passed through the Court of Honor, along with other festivities that lasted several days in October. Also depicts a partial view of the Dundas-Lippincott House at the northeast corner of Broad and Walnut Streets, built 1840-41 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Cypress planted by John Bartram. In 1830 it was 91 years old, 112 ft. high, 25 ft. in circumference.
Depicts a man standing next to a cypress tree planted by John Bartram on his estate circa 1740. The man is barely visible next to the gigantic tree., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Dwelling built 1730-1731 and altered in 1770 by botanist John Bartram.

Doorway of Chew House, 1882.
Exterior detail of front doorway of Cliveden, flanked by shutters and two identical statues. Built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 93., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Dunkard Meeting House, Germantown. Main St. abv. Sharpnack, N.E. side, 1770, mother church of Dunkards or German Baptists.
Exterior view of west front of stone church, showing roundel window above the entrance door, flanked by a shallow portico. Known as the Church of the Brethren, founded by Alexander Mack in 1708 near Crefeldt in North Prussia. Persecution drove the congregation to Philadelphia in 1719 and in 1723 the first Dunkard or German Baptist Brethren Church was organized in Germantown. The congregation originally worshipped in a building erected by Christopher Sauer (4653 Main Street) and then in a house secured by Peter Pettikoffer, who begged for the money to erect the building. Called Beggar's Town or Bettel Hausen., Slide number 102., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Emlem Homestead. Washington's headquarters previous to Battle of Germantown, Whitemarsh, Pa.
Exterior view of dwelling of George Emlen built circa 1745 and occupied by George Washington during the Whitemarsh Encampment in 1777. View of house obstructed by trees and overgrowth surrounding the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Engle House, Germantown. Built 1758.
Exterior view of east front of house looking south. Built in 1758 by Benjamin Engle. The Engle family operated a tannery in the rear of the property along Honey Run. Demolished in 1955., Slide number 51., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Engle House, Main St. abv. Town Hall. Built 1758 by Benj. Engle. Stone in N. Gable B. E. 1758.
Exterior view of east front of house looking north. Built in 1758 by Benjamin Engle. The Engle family operated a tannery in the rear of the property along Honey Run. Demolished in 1955., Slide number 50., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Girard College.
Exterior view of Founder's Hall, also identified as the main building, built 1833-1847 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter. Endowed by philanthropist Stephen Girard to educate boys without fathers. Girard ran away from home in France at the age of fourteen, worked his way up to ship captain and landed in the states in 1776. He became one of the wealthiest men in America before his death seventeen years before the opening of Girard College in 1848., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

A Guernsey herd.
A Guernsey herd.
Depicts Guernsey cows in a field in the Berkshires., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Harmer House. East bank of Schuylkill below Grays Ferry. Torn down for the B & O R.R.
Exterior view of front facade of dwelling built circa 1764 for Samuel Rhoads and torn down to make way for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tracks. Located near Reed Street between Thirty-fifth and Thirty-sixth Streets. Occupied by the Harmar family before it was demolished., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Rhoads' Place and Harmar's Retreat.

Hicksite Friends' Meeting House, N.E. 9th & Spruce. Since demolished.
Depicts a large, red brick meeting house sitting behind a red brick wall at the northeast corner of 9th and Spruce Streets. A "For Sale" sign is posted above the street signs on the brick wall. Two teenage girls in hats, shirtwaists and skirts walk along with a younger (or shorter) girl in similar dress. A man in a bowler, carrying a valise, has passed them., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Hokey Pokey Man.
Depicts a street vendor, with a wagon drawn by a donkey and protected by a striped awning, dispensing his wares to two young boys. Includes horse drawn carts in the background. The awning of The James Bell Co. is also visible in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Slide number 41.

Hotel on Ridge Ave. Falls of the Schuylkill.
Exterior view. Possibly the Falls Hotel along the 4100 block of Ridge Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Johnson House, Main & Johnson Sts. Oldest house in Germantown. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen. Passed into Johnson family early in the 18th century. Demolished in 1883
Exterior view of south flank and west front of first stone dwelling built in Germantown, at the northwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Johnson Street. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen, a Mennonite who immigrated from Germany to Germantown in 1689. Datestone marked 1698 in upper portion of gambrel roof. Occupied by the Johnson family in the 18th century and demolished in 1883., Slide number 87., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

"Laurel Hill," Dr. Physic's residence. Fairmount Park. Built 1765.
Exterior view of front facade of the colonial mansion, Laurel Hill. The central portion of the house was built circa 1767, the single story addition circa 1800 and the octagonal wing after 1837. Built for Rebecca Rawle and her second husband, Samuel Shoemaker. The house was purchased by physician Philip Syng Physick in 1828 and it passed to Physick's daughter Sarah Randolph who in turn sold it to the Fairmount Park Commission in 1869. The Commission used it for employee housing from 1869-1901 and then leased it to two organizations, The Colonial Dames of America and later the Women for Greater Philadelphia, who opened it to the public., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Looking up Market St. from Front.
Wagons, trolleys and pedestrians crowd the street and sidewalks in front of the shops along the north side of Market Street, west of Front Street. Names of businesses are painted on signboards along the block. Visible names include F. Frenzell, Vance & Co. and Coates Bros. Wool. A cigar shop occupies the southwest corner lot in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. above Upsal, S.W. side.
Depicts businesses and dwellings looking north along the 6500 block of Germantown, above Weaver Street, showing (from south to north) the small building occupied by public notary, John B Crowson; the south flank and east front of two attached dwellings and a row of commercial buildings., Slide number 101., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. abv. Upsal.
Exterior view of south flank and east front of home, showing a partial view of the rear dining room, added circa 1880. Includes two men standing in front of the house looking north along Germantown Avenue. A bicycle is propped against the front of the house near the entrance stairs. The main portion of the house was built in 1798 on land owned by Christopher Mason, but the earliest part is believed to be the kitchen, probably built circa 1765., Slide number 100., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. abv. Washington Lane, S.W. side of Main St.
Exterior view of south flank and west front of adjoined shops at the southwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Pomona Street. A stone and wooden fence lines the street and a dilapitated brick and stone building sits at the rear of the property. John W. Mangan's carpentry shop occupies 6330 Germantown Avenue and Millard Jacobs' tin wares are displayed on the sidewalk in front of his shop at 6332 Germantown Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

[Merchants Exchange, Philadelphia]
Exterior view looking northeast toward the Third Street front of the Merchant's Exchange, built between 1832 and 1833 after designs by William Strickland for the Philadelphia Exchange Company. Includes partial views of adjacent buildings, men crossing Third Street and a trolley travelling south., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Manuscript note on mount reads: Corn Exchange, 1898, Second St. Philada.

Mermaid Tavern, Main St., Chestnut Hill.
Exterior view of west front of hotel, purportedly constructed in 1734. Several men and women stand or sit on the porch and are looking curiously toward the camera. Two large trees and a trough are visible in the foreground. Demolished in 1913 to make way for Winston Road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Millverton, home of Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, his wife, at mouth of Wissahickon. From painting.
Copy of a painting depicting Millverton from the west bank of the Schuylkill River looking northeast. Occupied by Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, the daughter of Peter Robeson, who purchased the nearby estate in Shoomac Park the year Sarah was born. Located immediately north of the Wissahickon Creek near Ridge Avenue. In the background, a train crosses the Norristown Railroad Bridge, which dwarfs the Ridge Avenue Bridge in front of it. Another house sits on a hill north of Millverton. There is activity on and near the river in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Property later known as the Riverside Mansion.

N. W. Upsal & Main St. from Upsal St.
Depicts the south flank of the ivy-covered Bardsley House from Upsal Street, obscured by trees in the rear yard. Built circa 1770 and occupied in the 1870s by English painter, John Bardsley, who brought the English sparrow to Germantown to fight the caterpillars that were infesting local trees., Slide number 97., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Sparrow Jack House.

Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Depicts a man wearing a vest and felt hat driving a pair of oxen to plow his field. He carries a large switch in his right hand to encourage the animals, and at his left hand is a little girl in a checked dress and broad-brimmed hat. The field has been fenced and is surrounded by trees, shrubs and a small lake., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Neglee House, 4518-20 Main St., built before 1750.
Exterior view of front facade. Residence built circa 1727. John Naglee owned the house from 1727 to 1752., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old blacksmith shop, Ridge Ave. & Wissahickon opposite Millverton.
Exterior view of an old stone, two story blacksmith shop, across the street from Millverton and near the Robeson house and mill. A man works with a carriage frame on the second story, above the entrance and another man sits at the edge of the flat, overhanging roof nearby. Carriage frames and wheels are visible, along with the wall of the Norristown Railroad Bridge in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old House, Main St. & Mermaid Lane.
Depicts a boy sitting on a fire hydrant near the log home proportedly built in 1743 for Christopher Yeakel, a cooper, at the northeast corner of Mermaid Lane and Germantown Avenue. Property surrounded by a wooden fence. Demolished circa 1905., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., The street names on the sign post in the image are backward, which means that the orientation of the slide is incorrect.

Old House. Ridge Ave. above Falls of Schuylkill on property of Powers & Weightman.
Depicts a run down house behind a white picket fence atop a stone wall. Other dwellings are visible in the background. Located along Ridge Avenue on the property of Powers & Weightman, near the chemical plant that spanned several blocks immediately south of Wissahickon Drive., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old houses, N. side of Locust near 5th St.
Depicts a row of old dwellings and businesses along the north side of Locust Street, near Fifth Street, including a grocer (left) and L. Bernhardt, tailor, at 241. Includes the back of a delivery wagon, a partial view of a carriage (right) and a single pedestrian passing a row of barrels on the sidewalk., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old Market, 2nd & Pine Sts. 1745. Clock & bell put in, 1819.
Depicts the north front and west flank of the fire-engine house (i.e., headhouse) at 2nd and Pine Streets, designed in 1745, with a cupola and alarm bell added in 1819. Two blocks of market sheds extend along 2nd Street from the rear of the headhouse to South Street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old market sheds, 1898. 2nd St. North from Lombard.
Depicts the market sheds looking north toward Headhouse Square, identified by the fire-engine house (i.e., headhouse), designed in 1745, with a cupola and alarm bell added in 1819. Two men stand under the roof and a third man rests himself by sitting in the flatbed of a service cart. Perhaps it is day's end. There is refuse in the streets but no sign of customers., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old Mill near Jay Cooke's residence Chelten Hills.
Depicts two older men wearing suits and hats standing outside an old mill near Jay Cooke's Residence in Chelten Hills. A pile of lumber and overgrown weeds surround the mill., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old P.R.R. Station. foot of Market St., Phila. Just previous to widening Delaware Ave. 1898.
Depicts the front facade of the Market Street Ferry terminal at the foot of Market Street at Delaware Avenue. Carriages, trolleys, and pedestrians crowd the street and sidewalks. The Market Street Ferry was established about 1800 and was a principal form of transportation from Philadelphia to Camden, New Jersey through the early 20th century., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Rear of 5140 Main St. Gtn. House in which Gilbert Stuart painted portrait of Washington.
Depicts Gilbert Stuart's studio located in the rear of the property at 5140 Germantown Avenue. A man stands in the entrance, looking inside. The studio was partially destroyed by fire in 1854 and was demolished in 1900., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Rear of old Swan Tavern, Ridge Ave & Nicetown Lane.
Exterior view of the side and rear ell of the Old Swan Tavern, showing two dog houses, a man holding a rake and an old shed attached to the ell. The tavern sign is barely visible near the road in front of the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Ripplemead from the hill.
Ripplemead from the hill.
Depicts a body of water, probably the New River running through Ripplemead, Va., over which a primitive ferry has just transported a horse and wagon and its driver. To the right is a small hut with a low aperture, not a door for human beings. Perhaps it is for storage. Two young boys stand by the hut. The road leading to the ferry landing is of dirt, very rough, and full of stones., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Slide number 73., American Lantern Slide Interchange typed on sticker on mount.

Riverside Mansion, Ridge Road, Phil.
Exterior view of unusually broad, two-story mansion from dirt drive, showing the words "Riverside Mansion" painted on the side addition. Occupied by a beer garden operated by John F. Betz some time after 1880., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Smith House. Main St. abv. High. DPS 1748 on gabel.
Exterior view of west front and south flank of tavern built in 1748 by Daniel and Sarah Pastorius adjacent to the homestead of his grandfather Francis Daniel Pastorius. Also known as the Saddler's Arms, The Hornet's Nest, and Mackinett's Tavern. David Mackinett was Sarah's second husband after the death of Daniel Pastorius. The building was moved north in 1930 for the expansion of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Germantown and used as church offices., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

St. George's Hall. N.W. [sic] 13th & Arch Sts.
Exterior view of the north front and east flank of St. George's Hall built in 1835 by Thomas Walter Ustick as a residence for railroad executive Matthew Newkirk. Converted to the headquarters of the Society of the Sons of St. George in 1876, whose mission was to assist Englishmen in distress in America. The statue of St. George slaying the dragon on top of the front portico is partially visible. Includes numerous pedestrians crossing the street, the rear of a delivery wagon in the foreground and in the background, the tower of City Hall. Demolished circa 1903, after the society moved to 19th and Arch Streets., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as St. George's Society Club House.

Statue of Stephen Girard in Girard College.
Interior view of marble, life-size statue of Stephen Girard standing atop a sarcophagus in Founder's Hall. Francois Victor Gevelot designed the sarcophagus that holds the remains of Girard. A man in a bowler hat and suit leans on the wrought iron railing separating the public from the monument., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Founder's Hall, also identified as the main building, built 1833-1847 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter. Endowed by philanthropist Stephen Girard to educate boys without fathers. Girard ran away from home in France at the age of fourteen, worked his way up to ship captain and landed in the states in 1776. He became one of the wealthiest men in America before his death seventeen years before the opening of Girard College in 1848.

Thos. Kunders House, where 1st Friends' Meeting in Germantown was held.
Exterior view of front facade of house, showing a boy standing in the front doorway. Constructed on the site of Thones Kunders' original house, built in 1683. The first meetings of the Society of Friends were held in this house, along with the first public protests against slavery written here by Daniel Pastorius in 1688. Occupied by J.S. Harding & Son's antique furniture store at the time of this photograph., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Triumphal Arch. Peace Jubilee. Oct. 1898.
Depicts the Triumphal Arch (i.e. Athenean Arch) and Court of Honor along South Broad Street, showing a large group of pedestrians walking north toward City Hall. Erected after designs by Joseph M. Huston for the Peace Jubilee, a celebration of the end of the Spanish American War in 1898. Included a military parade that passed through the Court of Honor, along with other fesitivities that lasted several days in October., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

[Upsala, Johnson House. Main St. near Upsal St.]
Oblique view of front elevation of Upsala built 1798 by John Johnson III. The house was occupied by members of the Johnson family until 1941., Title supplied by cataloger., Slide number 95., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount. Title misidentifies the residence as Johnson House, 1798, Main St. abv. Johnson St.

Wanamakers, 5 mo. 1899. Market St. Front.
Exterior view looking southeast at the Market Street front of John Wanamaker's dry goods store, the Grand Depot, opened in former Pennsylvania Railroad sheds in 1876. Also depicts a busy street scene showing pedestrians walking on the sidewalk and in the street near several trolley cars travelling west., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Window in Bartram House.
Exterior detail of first floor window in the Bartram House. Includes an inscription on the stone window sill above the window depicted: "It is God alone Almyty Lord, The Holy One by me ador'd. John Bartram. 1770.", Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Dwelling built 1730-1731 and altered in 1770 by botanist John Bartram.