Back to top

Clock tower of Independence Hall, Philada.
Depicts the bell tower of Independence Hall looking west. Constructed from 1750 to 1753, about ten years after Andrew Hamilton and Edmund Woolley built the original portion of the building. Bell tower reconstructed by William Strickland in 1828. The mansard roof of the original Public Ledger building is visible in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

[Merchants Exchange, Philadelphia]
Exterior view looking northeast toward the Third Street front of the Merchant's Exchange, built between 1832 and 1833 after designs by William Strickland for the Philadelphia Exchange Company. Includes partial views of adjacent buildings, men crossing Third Street and a trolley travelling south., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Manuscript note on mount reads: Corn Exchange, 1898, Second St. Philada.

Wyck.
Exterior detail of entrance near French doors of house. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wyck, front bedroom.
Interior view of bedroom, showing a four poster bed, two clothes chests and chairs lining the wall. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wyck, front door.
Exterior detail of front doorway flanked by ivy. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

"Wyck" Haines home, Walnut Lane & Main St., oldest house standing in Gt'n at this date.
Exterior view of southeast front of house. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Wyck in March 1840, from daguerreotype made by Prof. Walter R. Johnson.
Copy of daguerreotype depicting the exterior view of the house as it looked in 1840. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.