Back to top

5261 Main St. Built by John Wister 1744.
Exterior view of west front and north side of Grumblethorpe, house built in 1744 by Philadelphia wine merchant John Wister. His house was the first in Germantown built solely for summer residency and greatly exceeded the dimensions of the homes around it, giving it the nickname "Wister's Big House.", Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

6205 Main St., built by Dirck Keyser 1738. 1st 2-story house in Germantown.
Exterior view of west front of house built by Dirck Keyser, a Mennonite preacher and silk merchant who immigrated from Amsterdam in 1688. Demolished in 1950 for a supermarket., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Chew House, Main & Johnson Sts.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, including an addition in the background. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Morris-Littel House, S. east cor. Main & High St.
Exterior view of north flank and west front of house owned by the Morris-Littell family from 1776 until 1888. Dr. Christopher Wit (1675-1765) planted one of the first botanical gardens in North America on this site. The house was torn down for the construction of Germantown High School in 1915. A little girl on roller skates holds the hand of a toddler as they cross Germantown Avenue walking toward the camera., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Very old house, date unknown. Was used as home of sexton of St. Michaels Lutheran Church. 6669 Main St.
Exterior view of west front of the Beggarstown one-room school house on the property of St. Michael's Lutheran Church. Built circa 1740 and restored in 1915. Also identified as the dwelling of a sexton of St. Michael's at one time., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.