© Copyright 2017 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact the IT Manager and Digital Humanities Coordinator
- Exterior view of the clubhouse known as The Castle of the Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, erected in 1732. Association formed for hunting and fishing, purportedly on the old estate of William Warner on the western bank of the Schuylkill River, below Gray's Ferry. Construction of the Fairmount Dam circa 1880 forced the clubhouse to find another home across the river on Rambo's Rock., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.
- Depicts the Fairmount Water Works from the south. Built between 1812 and 1822 after the designs of Philadelphia engineer Frederick Graff. Frederick Graff, Jr., later altered and expanded the waterworks with the help of Philadelphia engineer, Henry P.M. Birkinbine., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.
- Copy of a painting depicting Millverton from the west bank of the Schuylkill River looking northeast. Occupied by Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, the daughter of Peter Robeson, who purchased the nearby estate in Shoomac Park the year Sarah was born. Located immediately north of the Wissahickon Creek near Ridge Avenue. In the background, a train crosses the Norristown Railroad Bridge, which dwarfs the Ridge Avenue Bridge in front of it. Another house sits on a hill north of Millverton. There is activity on and near the river in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Property later known as the Riverside Mansion.
- Depicts the smokestacks and factory buildings of the Pencoyd Iron Works from the Schuylkill River. Includes boats on the river in the foreground. In 1852, Percival and Algernon Roberts started the business manufacturing bridge and structural steel supplies. Merged with the American Bridge Company in 1900., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.