Back to top

Doorway of Livezey House, 3 p.m.
Exterior detail of the first floor, entrance doorway and the second floor doorway that opens onto the balcony. Dwelling built for Thomas Shoemaker 1733-1739. Thomas Livezey bought the property, including a grist mill, from Shoemaker in 1747 and named it Glen Fern. In 1909 became the Valley Green Canoe Club., Slide number 129., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Indian Rock Hotel, upper Wissahickon Drive.
Exterior view of the Indian Rock Hotel, named after the statue of Tedyuscung that stands on Indian Rock overlooking Wissahickon Creek. Located at Monastery Avenue and Wissahickon Drive, near Wissahickon Creek. Depicts the second hotel, built in the early 1870s following the purchase of the original building by the Fairmount Park Commission, procured by Charles Weingartner in 1894. The building was razed prior to 1916., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Livezey House, Gtn. From west bank of Wissahickon.
Distant view of the house from the west bank of Wissahickon Creek. Built for Thomas Shoemaker from 1733-1739. Thomas Livezey bought the property, including a grist mill, from Shoemaker in 1747 and named it Glen Fern. The house was enlarged and raised one story in 1765, and sometime before 1853 a rear ell was constructed., Slide number 127., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Glen Fern, the Thomas Shoemaker House and the Valley Green Canoe Club (1909).

Millverton, home of Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, his wife, at mouth of Wissahickon. From painting.
Copy of a painting depicting Millverton from the west bank of the Schuylkill River looking northeast. Occupied by Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, the daughter of Peter Robeson, who purchased the nearby estate in Shoomac Park the year Sarah was born. Located immediately north of the Wissahickon Creek near Ridge Avenue. In the background, a train crosses the Norristown Railroad Bridge, which dwarfs the Ridge Avenue Bridge in front of it. Another house sits on a hill north of Millverton. There is activity on and near the river in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Property later known as the Riverside Mansion.

Old tavern on Wissahickon Drive below Lincoln Drive.
View depicting the original Indian Rock Hotel, opened in 1848 by Reuben Sands north of Rex Avenue Bridge near Indian Rock in the Wissahickon Valley. The hotel was sold to the Fairmount Park Commission in 1872 and Sands opened a second Indian Rock Hotel at a nearby location. Building later used as police headquarters., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also identified as Wissahickon Hall and the Fairmount Park Guard House.

On the Wissahickon, just above Kitchen's Lane, where the Dunkards baptized in 1719.
Depicts the section of the Wissahickon Creek where the Dunkards baptized their converts, not far from their community house, "the Kloster," later the site of the Monastery, the dwelling built by Joseph Gorgas from 1746 to 1752 near Kitchen's Lane., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

On the Wissahickon near Valley Green.
Depicts a duck wading in the water of Wissahickon Creek underneath the leafy branches of a tree., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Thos. Livezey House on Wissahickon.
Exterior view of the front facade of dwelling built for Thomas Shoemaker from 1733-1739. Thomas Livezey bought the property, including a grist mill, from Shoemaker in 1747 and named it Glen Fern. The house was enlarged and raised one story in 1765, and sometime before 1853 a rear ell was constructed., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Glen Fern, the Thomas Shoemaker House and the Valley Green Canoe Club (1909).

Valley Green Bridge, Wissahickon, 1913.
Depicts the stone bridge spanning Wissahickon Creek leading to Springfield Avenue. Built in 1832 and rebuilt in 1915. Also referred to as the Springfield Avenue Bridge., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Valley Green on Wissahickon.
View showing the inn built by Thomas Livezey circa 1850 near the Wissahickon Creek. The inn, managed by several proprietors under the Livezey family, was purchased by the city in 1872 and given over to the supervision of a patriotic women's society circa 1900. Shows signage adorning the building advertising a tea room and a telephone pay station. Lettering spelling "Valley Green" is visible on the side of the inn. Also shows a stone fence and a stable adjacent to the building., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.