Back to top

Chew House, Germantown, Pa.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 92., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Chew House, Main & Johnson Sts.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, including an addition in the background. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Doorway of Chew House, 1882.
Exterior detail of front doorway of Cliveden, flanked by shutters and two identical statues. Built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 93., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. entrance to Chew House, Main & Johnson St.
Distant view of front facade of Cliveden from the entrance drive on Germantown Avenue. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.