Back to top

5261 Main St. Built by John Wister 1744.
Exterior view of west front and north side of Grumblethorpe, house built in 1744 by Philadelphia wine merchant John Wister. His house was the first in Germantown built solely for summer residency and greatly exceeded the dimensions of the homes around it, giving it the nickname "Wister's Big House.", Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.