Back to top

Market Square showing two old houses. Monument to soldiers who fell in War of Rebellion. Erected 1883.
Depicts Germantown's Market Square. Includes the Civil War monument, erected in 1883 by the members of Ellis Post, No. 6, Grand Army of the Republic. Shows the granite figure of a soldier at "parade rest." Monument moved to Belmont Avenue and George's Hill Drive in West Fairmount Park in 1909.The front of the Market Square Presbyterian Church is visible in the background, along with the Fromberger House, located south of the church at 5501-5505 Germantown Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.