Back to top

Concord School House. Built 1775.
Shows the side of the one-room school house completed in 1775 near the Upper Burying Ground at 6309 Germantown Avenue. View includes a tree adorned with a plaque identifying the school in the foreground. The school, built from subscription funds to educate the citizens of the upper end of Germantown, was altered to include a second floor in 1818 to accommodate town meetings., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date from manuscript note on mount., Printed on mount: Plate Hammer; Developer Ortol.

Germantown Academy, built 1760.
Exterior view of Germantown Academy, built in 1760 by Jacob Knor on land purchased from John and George Bringhurst. Known as the Union School House when it opened in 1761. Instruction was in both English and German. The building was used as a hospital after the Battle of Germantown in 1777 and again in 1798 during the Yellow Fever epidemic., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Girard College.
Exterior view of Founder's Hall, also identified as the main building, built 1833-1847 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter. Endowed by philanthropist Stephen Girard to educate boys without fathers. Girard ran away from home in France at the age of fourteen, worked his way up to ship captain and landed in the states in 1776. He became one of the wealthiest men in America before his death seventeen years before the opening of Girard College in 1848., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old Concord School House. Main St. Germantown, Pa. Built 1775
Shows the one-room school house completed in 1775 near the Upper Burying Ground at 6309 Germantown Avenue. View includes a gated brick fence and headstones. The school, built from subscription funds to educate the citizens of the upper end of Germantown, was altered to include a second floor in 1818 to accommodate town meetings., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title from manuscript note on mount., Slide number: 84., Inscribed on mount: Ortol [type of developer].

Statue of Stephen Girard in Girard College.
Interior view of marble, life-size statue of Stephen Girard standing atop a sarcophagus in Founder's Hall. Francois Victor Gevelot designed the sarcophagus that holds the remains of Girard. A man in a bowler hat and suit leans on the wrought iron railing separating the public from the monument., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Founder's Hall, also identified as the main building, built 1833-1847 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter. Endowed by philanthropist Stephen Girard to educate boys without fathers. Girard ran away from home in France at the age of fourteen, worked his way up to ship captain and landed in the states in 1776. He became one of the wealthiest men in America before his death seventeen years before the opening of Girard College in 1848.