© Copyright 2017 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact the IT Manager and Digital Humanities Coordinator
- Exterior view of the north front and east flank of St. George's Hall built in 1835 by Thomas Walter Ustick as a residence for railroad executive Matthew Newkirk. Converted to the headquarters of the Society of the Sons of St. George in 1876, whose mission was to assist Englishmen in distress in America. The statue of St. George slaying the dragon on top of the front portico is partially visible. Includes numerous pedestrians crossing the street, the rear of a delivery wagon in the foreground and in the background, the tower of City Hall. Demolished circa 1903, after the society moved to 19th and Arch Streets., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as St. George's Society Club House.