Back to top

Among the Berkshire Hills.
Among the Berkshire Hills.
Depicts a man driving a buggy with two horses down a very narrow dirt road, surrounded by unspoiled verdant countryside., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Label on mount reads: Loaned to the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

A Berkshire road. 1888.
A Berkshire road. 1888.
Depicts a slender young woman, her sleeves rolled up, wearing an apron over her long skirt and a bonnet, carrying a spray of flowers in her left hand and a basket over her right arm. She stands in a narrow dirt road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

[[The]] Castle. Built 1812 [sic]. State in Schuylkill fish house below Graysferry. Old fishing club. Founded 1732.
Exterior view of the clubhouse known as The Castle of the Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, erected in 1732. Association formed for hunting and fishing, purportedly on the old estate of William Warner on the western bank of the Schuylkill River, below Gray's Ferry. Construction of the Fairmount Dam circa 1880 forced the clubhouse to find another home across the river on Rambo's Rock., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Cypress planted by John Bartram. In 1830 it was 91 years old, 112 ft. high, 25 ft. in circumference.
Depicts a man standing next to a cypress tree planted by John Bartram on his estate circa 1740. The man is barely visible next to the gigantic tree., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Dwelling built 1730-1731 and altered in 1770 by botanist John Bartram.

Doorway of Chew House, 1882.
Exterior detail of front doorway of Cliveden, flanked by shutters and two identical statues. Built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 93., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

A Guernsey herd.
A Guernsey herd.
Depicts Guernsey cows in a field in the Berkshires., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Harmer House. East bank of Schuylkill below Grays Ferry. Torn down for the B & O R.R.
Exterior view of front facade of dwelling built circa 1764 for Samuel Rhoads and torn down to make way for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tracks. Located near Reed Street between Thirty-fifth and Thirty-sixth Streets. Occupied by the Harmar family before it was demolished., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Rhoads' Place and Harmar's Retreat.

Hotel on Ridge Ave. Falls of the Schuylkill.
Exterior view. Possibly the Falls Hotel along the 4100 block of Ridge Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Johnson House, Main & Johnson Sts. Oldest house in Germantown. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen. Passed into Johnson family early in the 18th century. Demolished in 1883
Exterior view of south flank and west front of first stone dwelling built in Germantown, at the northwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Johnson Street. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen, a Mennonite who immigrated from Germany to Germantown in 1689. Datestone marked 1698 in upper portion of gambrel roof. Occupied by the Johnson family in the 18th century and demolished in 1883., Slide number 87., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

"Laurel Hill," Dr. Physic's residence. Fairmount Park. Built 1765.
Exterior view of front facade of the colonial mansion, Laurel Hill. The central portion of the house was built circa 1767, the single story addition circa 1800 and the octagonal wing after 1837. Built for Rebecca Rawle and her second husband, Samuel Shoemaker. The house was purchased by physician Philip Syng Physick in 1828 and it passed to Physick's daughter Sarah Randolph who in turn sold it to the Fairmount Park Commission in 1869. The Commission used it for employee housing from 1869-1901 and then leased it to two organizations, The Colonial Dames of America and later the Women for Greater Philadelphia, who opened it to the public., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Looking up Market St. from Front.
Wagons, trolleys and pedestrians crowd the street and sidewalks in front of the shops along the north side of Market Street, west of Front Street. Names of businesses are painted on signboards along the block. Visible names include F. Frenzell, Vance & Co. and Coates Bros. Wool. A cigar shop occupies the southwest corner lot in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Depicts a man wearing a vest and felt hat driving a pair of oxen to plow his field. He carries a large switch in his right hand to encourage the animals, and at his left hand is a little girl in a checked dress and broad-brimmed hat. The field has been fenced and is surrounded by trees, shrubs and a small lake., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old blacksmith shop, Ridge Ave. & Wissahickon opposite Millverton.
Exterior view of an old stone, two story blacksmith shop, across the street from Millverton and near the Robeson house and mill. A man works with a carriage frame on the second story, above the entrance and another man sits at the edge of the flat, overhanging roof nearby. Carriage frames and wheels are visible, along with the wall of the Norristown Railroad Bridge in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old House. Ridge Ave. above Falls of Schuylkill on property of Powers & Weightman.
Depicts a run down house behind a white picket fence atop a stone wall. Other dwellings are visible in the background. Located along Ridge Avenue on the property of Powers & Weightman, near the chemical plant that spanned several blocks immediately south of Wissahickon Drive., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old Mill near Jay Cooke's residence Chelten Hills.
Depicts two older men wearing suits and hats standing outside an old mill near Jay Cooke's Residence in Chelten Hills. A pile of lumber and overgrown weeds surround the mill., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Rear of 5140 Main St. Gtn. House in which Gilbert Stuart painted portrait of Washington.
Depicts Gilbert Stuart's studio located in the rear of the property at 5140 Germantown Avenue. A man stands in the entrance, looking inside. The studio was partially destroyed by fire in 1854 and was demolished in 1900., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Rear of old Swan Tavern, Ridge Ave & Nicetown Lane.
Exterior view of the side and rear ell of the Old Swan Tavern, showing two dog houses, a man holding a rake and an old shed attached to the ell. The tavern sign is barely visible near the road in front of the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Ripplemead from the hill.
Ripplemead from the hill.
Depicts a body of water, probably the New River running through Ripplemead, Va., over which a primitive ferry has just transported a horse and wagon and its driver. To the right is a small hut with a low aperture, not a door for human beings. Perhaps it is for storage. Two young boys stand by the hut. The road leading to the ferry landing is of dirt, very rough, and full of stones., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Slide number 73., American Lantern Slide Interchange typed on sticker on mount.