Back to top

5011 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade of the Royal House, with a horse standing in front of the property. Named for Jacob S. Royal, a victualler who purchased the property in 1853. Converted to accommodate a store and apartments circa 1900. George H. Marsden's grocery store occupies the first floor., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Birthplace of David Rittenhouse, born 1732. On Lincoln Drive, Germantown.
Exterior view of the residence from Lincoln Drive. David Rittenhouse was born in this house in 1732. Built circa 1770 by William Rittenhouse as part of a complex occupied by the first paper making business in the colonies., Slide number 123., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Blair House, 6043 Main St. First 3 story house, 1775. In 1851 owned by Charlotte Cushman the actress.
Exterior view of west front of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University, also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Blair House, Main & Walnut Ln. Built 1775 by Dr. Wm. Shippen, occupied also by his son in law. Rev. Saml. Blair afterward President of Princeton University.
Exterior view of west front and south side of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University , also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Slide number 66., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Emlem Homestead. Washington's headquarters previous to Battle of Germantown, Whitemarsh, Pa.
Exterior view of dwelling of George Emlen built circa 1745 and occupied by George Washington during the Whitemarsh Encampment in 1777. View of house obstructed by trees and overgrowth surrounding the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Hokey Pokey Man.
Depicts a street vendor, with a wagon drawn by a donkey and protected by a striped awning, dispensing his wares to two young boys. Includes horse drawn carts in the background. The awning of The James Bell Co. is also visible in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Slide number 41.

Millverton, home of Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, his wife, at mouth of Wissahickon. From painting.
Copy of a painting depicting Millverton from the west bank of the Schuylkill River looking northeast. Occupied by Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, the daughter of Peter Robeson, who purchased the nearby estate in Shoomac Park the year Sarah was born. Located immediately north of the Wissahickon Creek near Ridge Avenue. In the background, a train crosses the Norristown Railroad Bridge, which dwarfs the Ridge Avenue Bridge in front of it. Another house sits on a hill north of Millverton. There is activity on and near the river in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Property later known as the Riverside Mansion.

Neglee House, 4518-20 Main St., built before 1750.
Exterior view of front facade. Residence built circa 1727. John Naglee owned the house from 1727 to 1752., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Thos. Kunders House, where 1st Friends' Meeting in Germantown was held.
Exterior view of front facade of house, showing a boy standing in the front doorway. Constructed on the site of Thones Kunders' original house, built in 1683. The first meetings of the Society of Friends were held in this house, along with the first public protests against slavery written here by Daniel Pastorius in 1688. Occupied by J.S. Harding & Son's antique furniture store at the time of this photograph., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.