Back to top

Pages


Edgar H. Butler's House, Main below High St. G'tn.
Exterior view of west front of the Butler Mansion, purchased by publisher Edgar H. Butler in 1856 and enlarged to include the portico and conservatory. The property was originally owned by Peter Rose, but the old homestead was torn down and the new one (depicted in the image) was constructed by Frederick Seckel ca. 1840. Demolished in 1914 for the construction of Germantown High School., Slide number 52., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Emlem Homestead. Washington's headquarters previous to Battle of Germantown, Whitemarsh, Pa.
Exterior view of dwelling of George Emlen built circa 1745 and occupied by George Washington during the Whitemarsh Encampment in 1777. View of house obstructed by trees and overgrowth surrounding the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Engle House, Germantown. Built 1758.
Exterior view of east front of house looking south. Built in 1758 by Benjamin Engle. The Engle family operated a tannery in the rear of the property along Honey Run. Demolished in 1955., Slide number 51., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Engle House, Main St. abv. Town Hall. Built 1758 by Benj. Engle. Stone in N. Gable B. E. 1758.
Exterior view of east front of house looking north. Built in 1758 by Benjamin Engle. The Engle family operated a tannery in the rear of the property along Honey Run. Demolished in 1955., Slide number 50., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Entrance to Jewish Hospital. Columns formerly in front of U. S. Mint, Juniper & Chestnut.
Depicts the front entrance columns preceding the entrance drive to the Jewish Hospital, facing Tabor Road. The columns were taken from the old United States Mint building at the northwest corner of Chestnut and Juniper Streets before it was demolished in 1902. The Chapel of the Jewish Hospital, built after designs by Magaziner & Potter circa 1912, can be seen in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Fairmount Waterworks.
Depicts the Fairmount Water Works from the south. Built between 1812 and 1822 after the designs of Philadelphia engineer Frederick Graff. Frederick Graff, Jr., later altered and expanded the waterworks with the help of Philadelphia engineer, Henry P.M. Birkinbine., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

General Wayne Hotel, S.W. Main & Manheim Sts.
Exterior view of front facade of hotel built between 1780 and 1785. Building enlarged and gambrel roof installed in 1866. John B. Maxwell proprietor of hotel when this photograph was taken., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Germantown Academy, built 1760.
Exterior view of Germantown Academy, built in 1760 by Jacob Knor on land purchased from John and George Bringhurst. Known as the Union School House when it opened in 1761. Instruction was in both English and German. The building was used as a hospital after the Battle of Germantown in 1777 and again in 1798 during the Yellow Fever epidemic., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Germantown High School
Shows several students departing from Germantown High School built 1915 after the designs Henry Decourcey Richards at 5901 Germantown Avenue. The 3 1/2 story brick building contained 65 classrooms, an auditorium, gymnasium, infirmary, and library., Photographer's imprint stamped on mount., Title and date inscribed on mount., Slide number: 55., Decourcey, a school architect, was chief draftsman for the Board of Public education circa 1906-1919.

Girard College.
Exterior view of Founder's Hall, also identified as the main building, built 1833-1847 after designs by Thomas Ustick Walter. Endowed by philanthropist Stephen Girard to educate boys without fathers. Girard ran away from home in France at the age of fourteen, worked his way up to ship captain and landed in the states in 1776. He became one of the wealthiest men in America before his death seventeen years before the opening of Girard College in 1848., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Gowen House, S.E. cor. Main St. & Gowen Ave.
Exterior view of south flank and west front of dwelling built in 1792 by Joseph Miller. His daughter married James Gowen and the house descended through several generations of Gowens, including their son Franklin B. Gowen, Franklin E. Gowen and then his brother James E. Gowen. Later acquired by the Lutheran Theological Seminary., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

A Guernsey herd.
A Guernsey herd.
Depicts Guernsey cows in a field in the Berkshires., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Harmer House. East bank of Schuylkill below Grays Ferry. Torn down for the B & O R.R.
Exterior view of front facade of dwelling built circa 1764 for Samuel Rhoads and torn down to make way for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tracks. Located near Reed Street between Thirty-fifth and Thirty-sixth Streets. Occupied by the Harmar family before it was demolished., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Rhoads' Place and Harmar's Retreat.

Henry House, 1760. 4908 Main St. In 1828 bought by John S. Henry father of Alex Henry thrice mayor of Phila.
Exterior view of front facade and south side set behind a short stone wall. Built in 1760., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Wachsmuth-Henry House.

Hicksite Friends' Meeting House, N.E. 9th & Spruce. Since demolished.
Depicts a large, red brick meeting house sitting behind a red brick wall at the northeast corner of 9th and Spruce Streets. A "For Sale" sign is posted above the street signs on the brick wall. Two teenage girls in hats, shirtwaists and skirts walk along with a younger (or shorter) girl in similar dress. A man in a bowler, carrying a valise, has passed them., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Hokey Pokey Man.
Depicts a street vendor, with a wagon drawn by a donkey and protected by a striped awning, dispensing his wares to two young boys. Includes horse drawn carts in the background. The awning of The James Bell Co. is also visible in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Slide number 41.

Home of Anthony Gilbert, "the Strong Blacksmith."
Exterior view of front facade of dwelling occupied by Anthony Gilbert in 1809, a blacksmith who was known for his great physical strength. Original portion of house built circa 1745 as Wister's Tenant House, next to Wister's Big House., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Identified as 5267 Main St. by some sources.

Home of Christopher Ludwig, Baker General to Continental Army. So. side Haines St. abv. Chew.
Depicts the north front of the stone dwelling of Christopher Ludwig sitting very close to the edge of the road. Ludwig was appointed Baker General to the American army in 1777 and received a certificate of good conduct from George Washington in 1785., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Home of Col. Thos. Forrest, artillery officer Battle Germantown. Stenton Ave, east side, north of Haines St.
Exterior view of front and flank of slightly rundown dwelling on Stenton Avenue north of Haines Street, once occupied by Col. Thomas Forrest. Laundry hangs from a line on the side porch. A man poses for the camera nearby., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Home of Thos. Godfrey, inventor of the quadrant. Died 1749. N. E. Church Lane & Dunton [sic] St. near Old York Road.
Distant view of the Spencer farm, the birthplace of Thomas Godfrey, inventor of the quadrant. The house, barn and other outbuildings sit on a hill overlooking Church Lane and Dutton Street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Pages