Back to top

Pages


Hotel on Ridge Ave. Falls of the Schuylkill.
Exterior view. Possibly the Falls Hotel along the 4100 block of Ridge Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Indian Rock Hotel, upper Wissahickon Drive.
Exterior view of the Indian Rock Hotel, named after the statue of Tedyuscung that stands on Indian Rock overlooking Wissahickon Creek. Located at Monastery Avenue and Wissahickon Drive, near Wissahickon Creek. Depicts the second hotel, built in the early 1870s following the purchase of the original building by the Fairmount Park Commission, procured by Charles Weingartner in 1894. The building was razed prior to 1916., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Jacob Knorr House, 1760, 6307 Main St.
Exterior view of west front and north flank of house built in 1760 by Jacob Knorr., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Identified in some sources as the Dorsey House.

John Bringhurst House, 1775-1795, 5219 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade of dwelling owned by John Bringhurst from 1775 to 1795. Bringhurst was one of the founders of Germantown Academy and was one of the first to build "Germantown" wagons., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Jungkurth House, after Christopher John Jungkurth who owned it during the Civil War.

John Keyser House, 6347 Main St. Revolutionary.
Exterior view of south flank and east front of house built by John Keyser before the Revolution. Reverand John Rodney, rector of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in the middle of the 19th century, later ocuppied the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Keyser-Rodney House.

Johnson House, Main & Johnson Sts. Oldest house in Germantown. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen. Passed into Johnson family early in the 18th century. Demolished in 1883
Exterior view of south flank and west front of first stone dwelling built in Germantown, at the northwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Johnson Street. Built in 1698 by Heivert Papen, a Mennonite who immigrated from Germany to Germantown in 1689. Datestone marked 1698 in upper portion of gambrel roof. Occupied by the Johnson family in the 18th century and demolished in 1883., Slide number 87., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

[[The]] Johnson House, Main & Washington Lane, built in 1768 by John Johnson. The doors & hall show marks of bullets in battle of Germantown.
Exterior view of north flank and east front of house built 1765-1768 by master builder Jacob Knor and occupied by John Johnson during the Battle of Germantown. The house sustained injuries in the battle, including a hole in the parlor door caused by a cannon ball and a chipped corner of the house above the fence. Served as a station on the Underground Railroad. The Woman's Club of Germantown occupied the house after 1917., Slide number 78., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Keyser House, 6316 Main St., subsequently owned by Elwood Johnson.
Exterior view of east front of house on land purchased by Dirck Keyser from Adam Simon Kuhn in 1756. Keyser operated a tannery in the rear of the property, which was willed to his son Peter Keyser in 1810. Cedar fence pierced by bullets during the Battle of Germantown. Occupied by Mr. Ellwood Johnson circa 1902. Portions of the tannery buildings in the rear of the property were demolished in 1952., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Knorr house, N.W. Main St. & Walnut Lane, from pencil sketch on a visiting card, made in 1862.
Copy of an oval shaped sketch from an 1862 visiting card depicting an exterior view of the residence of John George Knorr at the northwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Walnut Lane. Property owned by the family 1728-1849. House razed in 1868 for Jacob Albright to make way for a store., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

"Laurel Hill," Dr. Physic's residence. Fairmount Park. Built 1765.
Exterior view of front facade of the colonial mansion, Laurel Hill. The central portion of the house was built circa 1767, the single story addition circa 1800 and the octagonal wing after 1837. Built for Rebecca Rawle and her second husband, Samuel Shoemaker. The house was purchased by physician Philip Syng Physick in 1828 and it passed to Physick's daughter Sarah Randolph who in turn sold it to the Fairmount Park Commission in 1869. The Commission used it for employee housing from 1869-1901 and then leased it to two organizations, The Colonial Dames of America and later the Women for Greater Philadelphia, who opened it to the public., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Livezey House, Gtn. From west bank of Wissahickon.
Distant view of the house from the west bank of Wissahickon Creek. Built for Thomas Shoemaker from 1733-1739. Thomas Livezey bought the property, including a grist mill, from Shoemaker in 1747 and named it Glen Fern. The house was enlarged and raised one story in 1765, and sometime before 1853 a rear ell was constructed., Slide number 127., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as Glen Fern, the Thomas Shoemaker House and the Valley Green Canoe Club (1909).

Looking east at mouth of Wissahickon.
Depicts an unidentified railroad bridge at the mouth of the Wissahickon Creek, looking east. Five boats are docked in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Looking up Market St. from Front.
Wagons, trolleys and pedestrians crowd the street and sidewalks in front of the shops along the north side of Market Street, west of Front Street. Names of businesses are painted on signboards along the block. Visible names include F. Frenzell, Vance & Co. and Coates Bros. Wool. A cigar shop occupies the southwest corner lot in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Loudoun, built 1801 by Thos. Armat for his son.
Exterior view of front facade. Original portion (i.e. east end) of house constructed in 1801 for Philadelphia merchant Thomas Armat by builders Peter L. Berry and John Ardis. Armat had the house built for his only son, Thomas Wright Armat. The west end was built in 1810 and the Greek portico in 1830. Named after Loudoun County, Virginia where Armat first settled in America., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. above Upsal, S.W. side.
Depicts businesses and dwellings looking north along the 6500 block of Germantown, above Weaver Street, showing (from south to north) the small building occupied by public notary, John B Crowson; the south flank and east front of two attached dwellings and a row of commercial buildings., Slide number 101., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. abv. Upsal.
Exterior view of south flank and east front of home, showing a partial view of the rear dining room, added circa 1880. Includes two men standing in front of the house looking north along Germantown Avenue. A bicycle is propped against the front of the house near the entrance stairs. The main portion of the house was built in 1798 on land owned by Christopher Mason, but the earliest part is believed to be the kitchen, probably built circa 1765., Slide number 100., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. abv. Washington Lane, S.W. side of Main St.
Exterior view of south flank and west front of adjoined shops at the southwest corner of Germantown Avenue and Pomona Street. A stone and wooden fence lines the street and a dilapitated brick and stone building sits at the rear of the property. John W. Mangan's carpentry shop occupies 6330 Germantown Avenue and Millard Jacobs' tin wares are displayed on the sidewalk in front of his shop at 6332 Germantown Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Main St. entrance to Chew House, Main & Johnson St.
Distant view of front facade of Cliveden from the entrance drive on Germantown Avenue. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Market Square showing two old houses. Monument to soldiers who fell in War of Rebellion. Erected 1883.
Depicts Germantown's Market Square. Includes the Civil War monument, erected in 1883 by the members of Ellis Post, No. 6, Grand Army of the Republic. Shows the granite figure of a soldier at "parade rest." Monument moved to Belmont Avenue and George's Hill Drive in West Fairmount Park in 1909.The front of the Market Square Presbyterian Church is visible in the background, along with the Fromberger House, located south of the church at 5501-5505 Germantown Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Mehl House, 4817 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade and south flank of home standing on land owned by the Mehl family from 1763 to 1865. Includes a group of children passing in front of the house., Identified as 4821 Main Street in some sources., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Pages