Back to top

Pages


Mennonite Meeting, Main St.
Exterior view of front facade of Mennonite church built in 1770 to replace the original log church constructed in 1708 on Germantown Avenue above Herman Street by early Germantown settlers. Considered the first Mennonite Church in America, founded in 1688., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

[Merchants Exchange, Philadelphia]
Exterior view looking northeast toward the Third Street front of the Merchant's Exchange, built between 1832 and 1833 after designs by William Strickland for the Philadelphia Exchange Company. Includes partial views of adjacent buildings, men crossing Third Street and a trolley travelling south., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Manuscript note on mount reads: Corn Exchange, 1898, Second St. Philada.

Mermaid Tavern, Main St., Chestnut Hill.
Exterior view of west front of hotel, purportedly constructed in 1734. Several men and women stand or sit on the porch and are looking curiously toward the camera. Two large trees and a trough are visible in the foreground. Demolished in 1913 to make way for Winston Road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Millverton, home of Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, his wife, at mouth of Wissahickon. From painting.
Copy of a painting depicting Millverton from the west bank of the Schuylkill River looking northeast. Occupied by Joseph Lea and Sarah Ann Robeson, the daughter of Peter Robeson, who purchased the nearby estate in Shoomac Park the year Sarah was born. Located immediately north of the Wissahickon Creek near Ridge Avenue. In the background, a train crosses the Norristown Railroad Bridge, which dwarfs the Ridge Avenue Bridge in front of it. Another house sits on a hill north of Millverton. There is activity on and near the river in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Property later known as the Riverside Mansion.

[[The]] Monestary [sic]. Built by Joseph Gorgas bt. 1746 & 1752.
Exterior view of house built near Wissahickon Creek between 1746 and 1752 for Joseph Gorgas, a lumber merchant and third generation resident of Germantown. Constructed on the site of "the Kloster," the log cabin built in 1737 as a community house for the German Dunkards. Two carriages are parked on the wrap-around porch., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Joseph Gorgas House and the Children's Museum of Philadelphia (1973).

Morris House.
Exterior view of east front of the Deshler-Morris House, built in 1772 for Quaker merchant David Deshler. Colonel Isaac Franks' owned the house when George Washington sought refuge here from the Yellow Fever epidemic that swept through Philadelphia in 1793. Nicknamed the "Germantown White House" during his occupation. The Morris family occupied the house for more than 100 years until they donated it to the National Park Service in 1948., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Morris-Littel House, Main & High St.
Exterior view of south flank and west front of house owned by the Morris-Littell family from 1776 until 1888. Dr. Christopher Wit (1675-1765) planted one of the first botanical gardens in North America on this site. The house was torn down for the construction of Germantown High School in 1915. Includes a view of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Germantown at the northeast corner of Germantown Avenue and High Street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Morris-Littel House, S. east cor. Main & High St.
Exterior view of north flank and west front of house owned by the Morris-Littell family from 1776 until 1888. Dr. Christopher Wit (1675-1765) planted one of the first botanical gardens in North America on this site. The house was torn down for the construction of Germantown High School in 1915. A little girl on roller skates holds the hand of a toddler as they cross Germantown Avenue walking toward the camera., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

N. E. Main & Walnut Lane, built 1806 by Rev. Saml. Blair for his son S. Blair Jr.
Exterior view of west front and south side of dwelling built by the Reverend Samuel Blair for his son Samuel Blair, Jr. in 1806. John Button, manufacturer of hosiery and owner of the Germantown Hosiery Mills, owned the property from 1835 until his death in 1882. His grandson Priestly owned the house until 1912, when Dr. Richard Deaver purchased it. Demolished in 1935., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also identified as the Blair-Button-Deaver House.

N. W. Upsal & Main St. from Upsal St.
Depicts the south flank of the ivy-covered Bardsley House from Upsal Street, obscured by trees in the rear yard. Built circa 1770 and occupied in the 1870s by English painter, John Bardsley, who brought the English sparrow to Germantown to fight the caterpillars that were infesting local trees., Slide number 97., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Sparrow Jack House.

N.E. [sic] & S.E. cor. Main St. and Chelten Ave.
Depicts Smyser & Scott's drug store at the southwest corner of Germantown and Chelten Avenues in the foreground. Includes the Germantown Trust Company across the street on the southeast corner, built in 1895 after designs by Hazlehurst & Huckel. The sidewalk is crowded with pedestrians, some who appear to be waiting for the trolley car that runs along Chelten Avenue., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Near Sheffield, Mass. 1890.
Depicts a man wearing a vest and felt hat driving a pair of oxen to plow his field. He carries a large switch in his right hand to encourage the animals, and at his left hand is a little girl in a checked dress and broad-brimmed hat. The field has been fenced and is surrounded by trees, shrubs and a small lake., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Near Wakefield, Fisher's Lane.
Exterior view of a row of four, two-story dwellings behind a picket fence along Fisher's Lane, immediately west of Wingohocking Creek. Most likely the dwellings of workers employed by Wakefield Mills., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Neglee House, 4518-20 Main St., built before 1750.
Exterior view of front facade. Residence built circa 1727. John Naglee owned the house from 1727 to 1752., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

N.W. & N. E. Chelten Ave. & Main St., Post Office & 1st Presbyt. Church.
Depicts businesses at the northwest and northeast corners of Germantown and Chelten Avenues, including (from east to west) Edward M. Bennis' real estate office; the post office; the Germantown Business College in the Vernon Building; Schaefer conveyancer office and the Pennsylvania Railroad ticket office. The steeple of the First Presbyterian Church of Germantown is visible in the background. A horse and carriage sits at the corner and the sidewalks are crowded with pedestrians., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Old barn of Wyck altered into dwelling, Walnut Lane W. of Main St.
Exterior view of west and north facades of dwelling, once the Wyck barn, built in 1796 by J. Frederick Thomas. Architect Mantle Fielding converted the old barn into a residence circa 1891., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Later known as the Franklin Courtney Residence.

Old blacksmith shop, Ridge Ave. & Wissahickon opposite Millverton.
Exterior view of an old stone, two story blacksmith shop, across the street from Millverton and near the Robeson house and mill. A man works with a carriage frame on the second story, above the entrance and another man sits at the edge of the flat, overhanging roof nearby. Carriage frames and wheels are visible, along with the wall of the Norristown Railroad Bridge in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old building, Fisher's Hollow, used as a powder mill during Revolution.
Exterior view of a whitewashed stone dwelling used during the Revolution for storage of gunpowder. Near the Wakefield Mills., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Old Concord School House. Main St. Germantown, Pa. Built 1775
Shows the one-room school house completed in 1775 near the Upper Burying Ground at 6309 Germantown Avenue. View includes a gated brick fence and headstones. The school, built from subscription funds to educate the citizens of the upper end of Germantown, was altered to include a second floor in 1818 to accommodate town meetings., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title from manuscript note on mount., Slide number: 84., Inscribed on mount: Ortol [type of developer].

Old House, Main St. & Mermaid Lane.
Depicts a boy sitting on a fire hydrant near the log home proportedly built in 1743 for Christopher Yeakel, a cooper, at the northeast corner of Mermaid Lane and Germantown Avenue. Property surrounded by a wooden fence. Demolished circa 1905., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., The street names on the sign post in the image are backward, which means that the orientation of the slide is incorrect.

Pages