Back to top

Pages


[Upsala, Johnson House. Main St. near Upsal St.]
Oblique view of front elevation of Upsala built 1798 by John Johnson III. The house was occupied by members of the Johnson family until 1941., Title supplied by cataloger., Slide number 95., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount. Title misidentifies the residence as Johnson House, 1798, Main St. abv. Johnson St.

Upsala, Johnson House. Main St. near Upsal St.
Distant view of south side and front elevation of house. Built 1798 by John Johnson III, the house was occupied by members of the Johnson family until 1941., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Valley Green Bridge, Wissahickon, 1913.
Depicts the stone bridge spanning Wissahickon Creek leading to Springfield Avenue. Built in 1832 and rebuilt in 1915. Also referred to as the Springfield Avenue Bridge., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Valley Green on Wissahickon.
View showing the inn built by Thomas Livezey circa 1850 near the Wissahickon Creek. The inn, managed by several proprietors under the Livezey family, was purchased by the city in 1872 and given over to the supervision of a patriotic women's society circa 1900. Shows signage adorning the building advertising a tea room and a telephone pay station. Lettering spelling "Valley Green" is visible on the side of the inn. Also shows a stone fence and a stable adjacent to the building., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Vernon Park near Main St.
Depicts two people, a woman and an elderly man walking with a cane, passing through Vernon Park on a pleasant day., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Vernon Park was formerly the private estate of the Wister Family and was purchased by the City of Philadelphia in 1892.

Vernon Park on Greene St.
Depicts open field bordered by trees and posts near Greene Street in Vernon Park. Includes a carriage traveling along Greene Street in the distance., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Vernon Park was formerly the private estate of the Wister Family and was purchased by the City of Philadelphia in 1892.

Vernon, Wister mansion. Built in 1803 by James Matthews.
Exterior view of dwelling constructed for James Matthews in two stages between ca. 1741 and 1805. The Wister Family purchased the property in 1812 and John Wister, president of Duncannon Iron Co., lived in the house until shortly before his death in 1900. Housed Germantown Branch of the Free Library 1898- 1907 and the Site and Relic Society (Germantown Historical Society) 1907-1927., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Very old house, date unknown. Was used as home of sexton of St. Michaels Lutheran Church. 6669 Main St.
Exterior view of west front of the Beggarstown one-room school house on the property of St. Michael's Lutheran Church. Built circa 1740 and restored in 1915. Also identified as the dwelling of a sexton of St. Michael's at one time., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Wagner House, 4840 Main St., built 1747, hospital in Battle of Germantown.
Exterior view of front facade and south side. Built in 1747 by John Zachary at the southwest corner of Germantown Avenue and West Logan Street. Zachary sold the property to Samuel Mechlin and the property descended to George Mechlin Wagner. Demolished in 1915., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Mechlin-Wagner House.

Wakefield, home of Thos. & Sarah Fisher. Built about 1795.
Exterior view of southeast front of dwelling built circa 1795 for Thomas and Sarah Fisher. Thomas Fisher founded the Westtown School and managed Pennsylvania Hospital., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wakefield, home of Thos. & Sarah Fisher. Built about 1795.
Exterior view of southeast front of dwelling built circa 1795 for Thomas and Sarah Fisher. Thomas Fisher founded the Westtown School and managed Pennsylvania Hospital. His son, William Logan Fisher established the Wakefield Mills not far from the house., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wakefield Mills, Fisher's Lane. Built by Wm. Logan Fisher.
Depicts four children playing along a road flanked by factory buildings and small parcels of land subdivided by shoddy wooden fences. Discarded lumber, carts and other random objects are piled in the foreground. The mills were established by William Logan Fisher., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wanamakers, 5 mo. 1899. Market St. Front.
Exterior view looking southeast at the Market Street front of John Wanamaker's dry goods store, the Grand Depot, opened in former Pennsylvania Railroad sheds in 1876. Also depicts a busy street scene showing pedestrians walking on the sidewalk and in the street near several trolley cars travelling west., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Warner houses, 6021 & 6023 Main St.
Exterior view of west fronts of dwellings constructed and occupied by the Warner (or Warmer) family since Christian Warmer the elder purchased tracts of land above and below the Pastorius homestead. Christian Warmer the younger resided here with Dr. Christopher Witt. Demolished in 1930 when the old Green Tree Tavern was moved north. Includes male pedestrians and a partial view of the property to the north., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Washington Inn, Washtn. Lane & Main St., known as Washington Tavern, 1793.
Exterior view of west front and south flank of tavern known as Washington Tavern since 1793. Also used as a market house in the 19th century. Includes a partial view of the entrance and storefront of the store located south of the tavern on Germantown Avenue., Slide number 74., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Where Wissahickon Drive joins E. Park Drive.
A large unidentified building sits amidst many tall trees in early leaf., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Window in Bartram House.
Exterior detail of first floor window in the Bartram House. Includes an inscription on the stone window sill above the window depicted: "It is God alone Almyty Lord, The Holy One by me ador'd. John Bartram. 1770.", Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Dwelling built 1730-1731 and altered in 1770 by botanist John Bartram.

Wyck.
Exterior detail of entrance near French doors of house. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wyck, front bedroom.
Interior view of bedroom, showing a four poster bed, two clothes chests and chairs lining the wall. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Wyck, front door.
Exterior detail of front doorway flanked by ivy. Earliest section of the house built circa 1690 by Hans Milan. Center section and alterations were designed and completed by William Strickland in 1824. For nine generations belonged to the Wistar-Haines family., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Pages