Back to top

Pages


American, Hawaian, Cuban flags displayed on Market St. at the outbreak of Spanish War.
Depicts two men in caps talking to each other on the sidewalk. A gentleman in a bowler walks past them on the left. To the right is a partial view of a trolley-car. Both sides of the street are visible in the background. American and Cuban flags are displayed on both sides of the street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Among the Berkshire Hills.
Among the Berkshire Hills.
Depicts a man driving a buggy with two horses down a very narrow dirt road, surrounded by unspoiled verdant countryside., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Label on mount reads: Loaned to the Photographic Society of Philadelphia.

Battle of Germantown Monument, Vernon Park.
Depicts the monument commemorating the Battle of Germantown in Vernon Park, flanked by benches and an old willow in the background, looking toward Germantown Avenue. Horse-carts, automobiles and pedestrians line the street., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

A Berkshire road. 1888.
A Berkshire road. 1888.
Depicts a slender young woman, her sleeves rolled up, wearing an apron over her long skirt and a bonnet, carrying a spray of flowers in her left hand and a basket over her right arm. She stands in a narrow dirt road., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Billmyer House, 1727, N.E. Main & Upsal Sts.
Exterior view of south side and front elevation of house built in 1727 for the Deshler family. In 1788 German printer, Michael Billmyer, bought the property and continued his printing trade from the dwelling., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Birthplace of David Rittenhouse, born 1732. On Lincoln Drive, Germantown.
Exterior view of the residence from Lincoln Drive. David Rittenhouse was born in this house in 1732. Built circa 1770 by William Rittenhouse as part of a complex occupied by the first paper making business in the colonies., Slide number 123., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Blair House, 6043 Main St. First 3 story house, 1775. In 1851 owned by Charlotte Cushman the actress.
Exterior view of west front of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University, also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Blair House, Main & Walnut Ln. Built 1775 by Dr. Wm. Shippen, occupied also by his son in law. Rev. Saml. Blair afterward President of Princeton University.
Exterior view of west front and south side of house built circa 1750 and purchased by Dr. William Shippen as a summer residence in 1775. Dr. Samuel Blair, Shippen's son-in-law and president of Princeton University , also lived here. House was later occupied by the Pennsylvania Manual Labor School under the direction of Dr. George Junkin. Also owned by actress Charlotte Cushman., Slide number 66., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as The Laurens.

Branchtown Hotel, York Road and Church Lane. Built by Joseph Spencer 1790.
Exterior view of the Branchtown Hotel built by Joseph Spencer in 1790, opposite the dwelling built by him in 1748., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Broad St. looking N. from Filbert, showing the four churches on 4 corners of Arch St.
Depicts men walking and bicycling along North Broad Street, near Arch Street. The four churches near the intersection of Broad and Arch Streets are visible, including the Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church, First Baptist Church, Lutheran Church of the Holy Communion and the Masonic Temple. Includes the Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance Company building in the background., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Building in rear of the Johnson house, Washington Lane.
Exterior view of ivy-covered, stone outbuilding in the rear of the Johnson house, showing two four story, brick apartment buildings in the background. Divided from the Johnson homestead by a stone wall., Slide number 77., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount., Johnson house built 1765-1768 by master builder Jacob Knor and occupied by John Johnson during the Battle of Germantown. The house sustained damage in the battle, including a hole in the parlor door caused by a cannon ball and a chipped corner of the house above the fence. Served as a station on the Underground Railroad.

Built by Jos. Spencer 1746. N. side Old York Road opposite Church Lane. Sold to Dr. Benneville in 1758 & named Silver Farm.
Exterior view of dilapidated dwelling, surrounded by weeds at the northeast corner of Old York Road and Church Lane. Built in 1746 by Joseph Spencer, purchased by Dr. Benneville in 1758 and named "Silver Pine Farm" by Benneville's son., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Canal near Bridgeport below Norristown, Pa.
Depicts large industrial buildings with smoke stacks on the opposite bank of the canal near Bridgeport, below Norristown, Pennsylvania. Telegraph poles line the canal in the distance and trees and shrubs are in leaf in the foreground., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Capt. Barrow's House, 5106 Main St.
Exterior view of front facade and north side, including a man walking in front of the house. For sale sign posted underneath first floor window. Built 1794-1803 and occupied by Commodore James Barron from 1839 to 1845 while he was in command of the Philadelphia Naval Yard., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Carlton, from the east. Washington's Headquarters 1777.
Exterior view of the north front of the Carlton Mansion, taken from the east. Purportedly named after an English castle inhabited by Queen Elizabeth I. The original house was destroyed by the British in 1777 but rebuilt in 1780 by Isaac Tustin. Served as Washington's Headquarters for a few weeks before and after the Battle of Brandywine. Purchased by Cornelius S. Smith in May of 1840 and later bequeathed to his children., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Carlton-Smith Mansion.

Carlton, north side, near Midvale Ave. Washington's Headquarters 1777.
Exterior view of the north front of the Carlton Mansion, taken from the west. Purportedly named after an English castle inhabited by Queen Elizabeth I. The original house was destroyed by the British in 1777 but rebuilt in 1780 by Isaac Tustin. Served as Washington's Headquarters for a few weeks before and after the Battle of Brandywine. Purchased by Cornelius S. Smith in May of 1840 and later bequeathed to his children., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount., Also known as the Carlton-Smith Mansion.

[[The]] Castle. Built 1812 [sic]. State in Schuylkill fish house below Graysferry. Old fishing club. Founded 1732.
Exterior view of the clubhouse known as The Castle of the Fishing Company of the State in Schuylkill, erected in 1732. Association formed for hunting and fishing, purportedly on the old estate of William Warner on the western bank of the Schuylkill River, below Gray's Ferry. Construction of the Fairmount Dam circa 1880 forced the clubhouse to find another home across the river on Rambo's Rock., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Chelten Ave. Station P.R.R. Just before it was raised [sic] 1-1916.
Exterior view of the Pennsylvania Railroad's original Chelten Avenue Station looking north along the tracks. Includes two men working on the tracks. Image taken before the old station was razed in 1916., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Chew House, Germantown, Pa.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew. Fortified by British troops commanded by Colonel Musgrave during the Battle of Germantown. Site of the turning point in the battle. Chew family residence until 1972 when acquired by National Trust for Historic Preservation., Slide number 92., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title given in manuscript on mount.

Chew House, Main & Johnson Sts.
Exterior view of west front of Cliveden, including an addition in the background. Dwelling built 1763-1767 after designs by Jacob Knor for Benjamin Chew., Photographer's imprint printed on mount., Title and date given in manuscript on mount.

Pages