Back to top

Centennial Circular 1876.
"Fortieth Illustrated" circular advertisement, probably distributed to retail dealers, for the hat manufacturer established in 1841. Contains captioned images of 66 types of men's and children's hats for the "Spring" season of 1876. Captions detail style, finish, and colors. In tribute to the upcoming Centennial Exhibition, vignettes at top depict Carpenters' Hall, Independence Hall, and a buffalo hunt. Building views include pedestrian traffic. Also contains trademark for the firm with motto "Semper Paratus" (i.e., always prepared). Internal text promotes the quality and styles of hats offered, including fine soft hats, fur and wool hats, harvest hats, mackinaws, and trimmed and untrimmed hats. Text on verso encourages business people to visit Philadelphia prior to the opening of the Exhibition in order to become acquainted with the city and its accommodations, and to purchase spring fashions at the firm., Accompanied by advertising envelope for the firm illustrated with a transfer lithograph of the store at 606 & 608 Market Street. View includes crates being loaded on to a horse-drawn dray parked in front of the store. Addressee is Mr. Minot Riley of Springville, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, a merchant and store owner (POS 91)., Not in Wainwright, Philadelphia on Stone, POS 90, LCP AR [Annual Report] 1999 p. 43-45.

Charles Oakford's hat & cap store, wholesale & retail, No. 104, Chesnut [sic] Street, Philadelphia.
Advertisement containing a view of the exterior of the hat store (300 block Chestnut Street) surrounded by a decorative border comprised of hats and vignettes. Shows the proprietor of the business standing behind the double-sided glass door of his establishment. Displays of hats adorn the showcase windows of the store. Also shows a ribbon hanging from above the entrance, a shadowy figure of a patron, and a basement cellar door. Border includes military hats, boys caps, a Friend's hat, and beaver hat. Vignettes show a military officer on horseback and an outdoor scene with beavers at a tree. Oakford established his business in 1827 and located to 104 Chestnut in 1843 where he began his wholesale trade in 1850. He operated from the address until 1852., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 108, Wainwright retrospective conversion project, edited.

Costume des Quakers
Plate showing a Quaker man outside and a Quaker woman and man within a fence in front of the subscription library, Library Company of Philadelphia, at 5th and Library streets. The men wear broad rimmed hats, long coats, and pantaloons. The woman wears a plain dress, shawl, and bonnet. She holds a basket. The Library Company, established by Benjamin Franklin and his Junto in 1731, occupied the hall built in 1790 after the designs of Dr. William Thornton until 1880. The building was razed in 1887., Published in Édouard de Montulé's Voyage en Amérique, en Italie, en Sicile et en Egypte, pendant les années 1816, 1817, 1818 et 1819 (Paris, Delaunay [etc.], 1821)., Printed in the upper right corner: Pl. 6., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 166

[Fashion print showing a couple attired in Quaker costume]
Fashion print showing a young couple in plain dress on promenade. The man wears a broad-rimmed hat, white cravat, and suit. The woman wears a poke bonnet and a plain dress with a large white collar and puff sleeves. Each holds or wears gloves., Date from manuscript note on recto: Costume 1844., Philadelphia on Stone

Jones & Co. of the crescent one price clothing store, No. 200 Market Street, above 6th Phila.
Advertisement depicting the two-bay, five-story, green building occupied by Owen Jones's clothing store since 1846. White text advertising the business as a cheap, one price clothing store covers the facade. A columned arcade extends along the ground floor of the properties depicted, stopping at the States Union Hotel (right). A sales booth displaying wares is sandwiched between two columns at the street level. Men's vests, pants, and jackets hang under the arcade, as several men, and a couple stroll by on the wide, brick sidewalk., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 413, Wainwright retrospective conversion project, edited.

Oliver Brooks, wholesale and retail, hat, cap & fancy fur warehouse
Advertisement depicting an ornate table with scroll legs covered with a jumbled variety of men's and women's hats in addition to an umbrella (handle visible). Brooks patented an improvement in cassinmere hats in 1842., Date from Poulson inscription on recto: August 1846., Probably printed by John Frampton Watson., Not in Wainwright., Philadelphia on Stone, POSP 158

Philadelphia fashions, spring & summer 1845, by S. A. & A. F. Ward no. 62 Walnut St.
Fashion advertisement containing two paneled scenes of 16 elegantly attired men, women, and boys in a parlor and outdoor setting. Upper panel shows the parlor scene. A couple in bed coats sits on a chaise lounge. The man accompanied by a boy, attired in a military-style suit, talks to another man, wearing a suit with patterned pants. The woman talks with another lady attired in a bonnet, shawl, and full skirt. A third gentleman stands near two columns to the left. He wears a suit with a lavishly patterned vest and striped pants. On the opposite side of the columns, two women in evening dresses sit at a piano. One wears a feather in her hair and the other wears an elaborate up do with ringlettes on the side. Two men in evening suits join them. Furnishings also includes a framed painting and mosaic carpeting. Lower panel shows the outdoor scene. At the banks of a river, possibly the Schuylkill, 5 men, one woman, and a boy are gathered. The woman, at the center of the scene, wears a riding habit and sits side saddle on her horse. Her male companion, in a riding suit, stands next to her, dismounted from his horse. To the left, a man in a hunting outfit and with a dog stands between two men in suits and top hats. To the right, a man attired in an overcoat stands with a boy, attired in a suit. Eac h wears a top hat. All the men wear pants of various patterns and different styles of neckwear. Most carry a cane and the hunter holds a rifle. Most of the depicted men have some facial hair. Key numbered 1-9 and 10-15 printed above and below the image., Not in Wainwright., Philadelphia on Stone, POSP 179

Philadelphia, Paris & New-York fashions, for spring & summer of 1864. Published and sold by F. Mahan, no. 911, Chestnut Street, Philadelphia.
Fashion print containing two rows of full-length models displaying men's and women's indoor and outdoor clothing. Top row features figures posed against a domestic interior featuring a large window overlooking a country landscape and patterned carpeting and drapes. Two female figures in the center of the row display dresses with large hoops. Bottom row features figures dressed in outdoor clothing including two Union generals, Brig. Gen. Henry Morris Naglee and Maj. Gen. Nathanial Prentiss Banks, in military uniforms and two sportsmen carrying hunting rifles posed in front of a military camp., Philadelphia on Stone, POSP 185, LCP AR [Annual Report] 1991, pgs. 48-49.

South view. Looking towards Navy Yard, Southwark and Moyamensing.
Panoramic view looking toward the Delaware River showing cityscape in South Philadelphia. Includes residential buildings, storefronts, factories, warehouses, St. Peter's Church steeple, Sparks Shot tower, and the Navy Yard. Also shows trees in Independence Square in the foreground and maritime traffic on the river in the background., Series title, artist, and date information from complementary prints., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 544c, Trimmed.

Wm. H. Horstmann & Sons No. 51, North Third Street Philadelphia, manufacturers and importers of military goods, coach laces, & fringes, epaulettes, swords, sashes, buttons, laces, chapeaux, pistols, holsters, saddle-cloths, banners, flags, embroideries, &
Advertisement showing the ornately decorated storefront of William H. Horstmann & Sons clothing and military supply store. Patriotic bunting consisting of the names of artists J.H. Otten, carver and J. Gibson, pinxt, and a shield surmounted by an eagle, flags, swords and spears surround a sign that reads, "E Pluribus Unum, Horstmann," above the first level. Drums, military helmets, flags, and swords flank this central display. Laurel wreaths hang above the fasces that form columns on each side of the shop's two doorways and two bay windows. Tassels are visible in the left bay window, while various types of military helmets are displayed in rows in the right window. Shields and crossed arrows adorn the transom lights above the windows and doors. Wm. H. Horstmann & Sons produced and sold their wares at this location between 1830 and 1857, after which time they moved their factory operations to 5th and Cherry Streets, and their storefront to a separate property at 223 Chestnut Street., Date from Poulson inscription on recto: August 1846., On recto: J.H. Otten, carver; J. Gibson, pinxt., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 857, Wainwright retrospective conversion project, edited.