Section through the engine house of the Centre Square Water Works, Philadelphia. [graphic] : Building commenced 1799, commenced erecting the engine February 1800, started the engine to supply the city, January 21, 1801, supply from these works discontinued September 7, 1815, building taken down 1827 / Drawn by Frederic Graff from the original drawings and memoranda in his possession.
Photomechanical reproduction of a mechanical drawing of a cross section of the pumping machinery for the waterworks, including the boiler and reservoirs, which when full were able to hold 17,660 gallons of water. Also includes smaller vignettes in the upper left and right corners showing the elevation and plan of the waterworks. The neo-classical style marble pump house was completed in 1800 after the designs of architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, in the tree-lined public square at High (Market) and Broad streets. The city's first waterworks delivered water from the Schuylkill River to subscribers and city hydrants until 1815, when superseded by the Fairmount Waterworks. The pump house was razed in 1827.