© Copyright 2020 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
- Album containing 27 photographs showing the grounds and residence of the estate in Radnor Township, later Wayne, Pa. Includes No. 1 the Wayne Pennsylvania Rail Road station; No. 2 "mansion as seen from the S.W."; No. 3 the "north side of Mansion"; No. 4 "Entire northern side of Mansion"; No. 5 "Full front view taken from the South, and as fronting on "The Pike," i.e, Lancaster Pike; No. 6 "Main Entrance and Vestibule, taken from the interior"; No. 7 "Scenery and Grounds, and Summer House, east of Dwelling"; No. 8 and No. 9 "South view" and North view of "late residence," known formerly as the 'Old Maule Manor House'"; No. 10 'View from the S.S.W. showing Lawn, Flower Garden, etc.; No. 11 "Partial view of the old and principal Barn and Implement House"; No. 12 "South View of the Main Barn and Granary, Stables for pleasure horses, and coach house"; No. 13 "Meadow north of the Pike"; No. 14 "Principal Spring and Dairy Houses"; No. 15 the public, lecture and library hall "'Wayne Hall' as seen from the S.W."; No. 16 "Modernized dwelling, formerly known as the "Old Barber Farm House"; No. 17 "Spring House," etc. belonging to the Barber Farm"; No. 18 "Cottage at the extreme eastern boundary of the 'Louella Farm' "; No. 19 "View from the N.W. of the old 'Jno. Richards Manor House,' built in 1792"; No. 20 "Northern view of the Sheep Houses, Fold, etc."; No. 21 "Two cottages "built on a hill," south of the Pike, on line with the Mansion"; No. 22 "The New Reservoir, (covered), with scenery to the East" at Wayne and Bloomingdale avenues; No. 23 "Meadow south of the Pike"; No. 24 "Wheel House"; No. 25 "The Riding horse 'Frank'"; No. 26 horse 'Billy Button' "; and No. 27 'Elizabeth' our favorite, a thorough-bred Guernsey cow." Views also show the cottage of Jane Kissick (widow of Center Square Water Works engineer John Kissick) attached to the Wayne train station; members of the Askin family, and their grounds keepers., Brown leather binding, grained., Contains lithographed title page and Table of "Contents" with a numbered and explanatory list of the photographs. Photographs listed as No. 1 - No. 27., Insert: Loose albumen print showing an oblique view of the mansion. Members of the Askin family sit on the porch. The landscaped estate lawn is partially visible in the foreground., Album pages contain lithographed decorative borders, tinted with one stone., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., LCP AR [Annual Report] 2002, p. 62., Variant copies held in the collections of William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan and the University of Delware Special Collections., Housed in red-clothed clamshell box., Louella, the estate of successful Philadelphia real estate broker and banker J. Henry Askin, was built in 1867 on hundreds of acres of land along the Lancaster Pike and the Pennsylvania Railroad in Wayne, Pa. The residence contained eighty rooms, was powered with gas retorts, and received water from a reservoir erected on a neighboring hill. The estate also sustained a green house; conservatory; farm; a public lecture hall, library, and place of worship; as well as landscaped lawns and flower gardens. In 1880, Askin sold the property to Philadelphia editor George Childs and banker Anthony J. Drexel for development into the Wayne Estates. The Louella residence was later used as a summer resort hotel, school for girls, and apartments.