Collection of over 2500 glass and film negatives, photographic prints, and lantern slides taken by amateur Philadelphia photographer Marriott C. Morris (1863-1948). A member of a prominent Quaker family descended from Philadelphia merchant Anthony Morris, Morris was also a philanthropist, executor and trustee of estates, and founder of the Germantown Boys’ Club. Images include formal and candid portraits of the extended Morris family and friends, views from family travels to Bermuda, the Poconos, and the family summer homes "Avocado" and “Cedar Mer” in Sea Girt, New Jersey. The collection also features numerous photographs of Germantown, including several depicting the exterior and interior of the family residence the Deshler-Morris House (5442 Germantown Ave) and Boys’ Parlor building and excursions.
Other images depict Philadelphia and the nearby area, including Haverford College, Pelham (Philadelphia, Pa.), Cedar Grove (Montgomery County, Pa.), Delaware Water Gap, and Olney, Pa.; Haddonfield, N.J., Wilmington, De.; Catskills; the coast of Maine; Lake Hopatcong, N.J.; the Natural Bridge, Va.; Baltimore, Md.; West Point, N.Y.; the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893; views of railroad excursions, including the Catawissa Railroad and Shenandoah Valley Railroad; and Pennsylvania and New Jersey Friends’ meeting houses. Also contains a small number of negatives photographed by the photographer’s mother Martha Canby Morris, and his brother Samuel Canby Morris.