Back to top

Camp of Germantown Boys Club at Stone Harbor N.J. from July 15 to Aug 5, 1911 [graphic].
Lantern slide showing two images. The top image shows two boys from the Germantown Boys' Club pushing a canoe into the surf. The boy on the right wears a hat and leans against the canoe. The boy on the left sits in the boat with an oar. The lower image shows a group of boys and young men from the Club resting on the beach. Two large houses stand in the background. Founded in 1887, the Boys’ Parlors Association of Germantown served as a safe space for neighborhood children whose parents worked longer hours in an industrializing city. The name changed in 1907 to the Germantown Boys’ Club after joining ranks with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. Marriott Canby Morris served as the president of the club in the first decade of the 1900s., Contains MCM stamp., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.

E[lliston] P[erot] M[orris] Jr. at Sea Girt [graphic].
Lantern slide showing Marriott C. Morris' son Elliston Perot Morris Jr. as a baby in bloomers, a ruffled shirt, and a wide brimmed hat. He stands next to a wooden bench, holding a set of wooden blocks., Contains MCM stamp., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.

Fording to the Island. Boys Parlors Asso[ciation] first camp, Upper Delaware R[iver] [graphic].
Lantern slide showing a group of men and boys from the Germantown Boys' Club crowded onto a horse-drawn cart. The cart travels through shallow water with trees growing in the background. Founded in 1887, the Boys’ Parlors Association of Germantown served as a safe space for neighborhood children whose parents worked longer hours in an industrializing city. The name changed in 1907 to the Germantown Boys’ Club after joining ranks with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. Marriott Canby Morris served as the president of the club in the first decade of the 1900s., Contains MCM stamp. MCM, president of Assoc. See research file., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.

Little lily vendor at [Avocado], Sea Girt, N.J. [graphic].
Lantern slide showing a boy seated on the front steps of the Morris family home Avocado. He is barefoot but wears a straw hat and a flower in his buttonhole. Elliston Perot Morris bought property in Sea Girt, N.J. in 1875, where he built the summer home Avocado after designs by Quaker architect Hibberd Yarnall. Morris left Avocado, named after a Perot family estate in Bermuda, to his daughter Elizabeth Canby Morris in his will. It was sold in 1947 after her death. By 1958 the house had been demolished., See neg. P.9895.306 Signed by MCM., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.

View at Seal Harbor, Mt. Desert [Island], Maine [graphic].
Lantern slide showing a view of Seal Harbor with rocky shallows and a grassy island in the center at Mount Desert Island. A canoe rests on the island and a girl wearing a lace collar and a hat stands in the grass. Mount Desert Island, the largest island off the coast of Maine, was popularized in the mid-19th century by Hudson River School painters as a nature retreat. From the late 19th century to around the 1930s the Island was a tourist destination for the social elite., Contains MCM stamp., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.