Back to top

[Deshler-Morris House, 5442 Germantown Avenue]
Lantern slide showing the Deshler-Morris House at 5442 Germantown Avenue, a house with two chimneys and ivy climbing the walls. The house is surrounded by trees and a boy rides a bicycle on the sidewalk. The road in front of the house has trolley tracks running down the center. David Deshler built the original four-room summer cottage on this Germantown lot in 1752, adding the three-story front addition in 1772. The house was sold to Col. Isaac Franks in 1792 after Deshler’s death. President George Washington rented the home for the duration of the yellow fever epidemic of 1793 and the summer of 1794. Elliston and John Perot purchased the house in 1804, selling it to Elliston’s son-in-law Samuel B. Morris after his death in 1834. The house stayed in the possession of the Morris family for over a century, when Elliston P. Morris donated the house to the National Parks Service in 1948. The name was officially changed to the Germantown White House in 2009., Contains MCM's stamp. 8 x 10 Negative & Print (P.9895.2135, P.9895.1388), Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.

[Mennonite meeting house with view of cemetery grounds, Germantown] [graphic].
Lantern slide showing a stone Mennonite meeting house at 6119 Germantown Avenue standing next to a cemetary surrounded by a metal fence. Trolley tracks run through the center of the street. A tree grows to the left of the meeting house and other buildings are visible in the background. A Mennonite meeting house was originally built on Main Street in 1705. The stone building replaced the wooden structure in 1770. The meeting house had one addition in 1908, and was restored to its colonial appearance in 1952., Signed: Morris. Cracked. In envelope with ms notes: John Wanamaker 13th Street Chestnut to Market of Philadelphia; No. 20, 5 mo. 1884, Old horse chestnut tree, tulip bed & looking down., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.