Back to top

[Mennonite meeting house with view of cemetery grounds, Germantown] [graphic].
Lantern slide showing a stone Mennonite meeting house at 6119 Germantown Avenue standing next to a cemetary surrounded by a metal fence. Trolley tracks run through the center of the street. A tree grows to the left of the meeting house and other buildings are visible in the background. A Mennonite meeting house was originally built on Main Street in 1705. The stone building replaced the wooden structure in 1770. The meeting house had one addition in 1908, and was restored to its colonial appearance in 1952., Signed: Morris. Cracked. In envelope with ms notes: John Wanamaker 13th Street Chestnut to Market of Philadelphia; No. 20, 5 mo. 1884, Old horse chestnut tree, tulip bed & looking down., Digitization and cataloging has been made possible through the generosity of David Marriott Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, and William Perot Morris in memory of Marriott Canby Morris and his children: Elliston Perot Morris, Marriott Canby Morris Jr., and Janet Morris and in acknowledgment of his grandchildren: William Perot Morris, Eleanor Rhoads Morris Cox, Jonathan White Morris, and David Marriott Morris., Edited.