Back to top


Swanwick Street
Depicts a narrow residential alleyway with a man pushing a cart in the foreground and other pedestrians walking in the street., Taylor Catalog Number: 19

Swept from the Parkway Vista
Panoramic view of the Ben Franklin Parkway in 1917. Factories can be seen in the middle ground and buildings in Center City in the background, including a silhouette of City Hall on the left side of the drawing., The view south-eastward from Fairmount, in the fall of 1917, stirkingly resembles war scenes in Belgium. A long-busy manufacturing section is being swept from the path of the Parkway. The important structures thus removed include one public school, located at Twenty-third and Shamokin streets, and the plants of Charles N. Harder, Erben Harding, the Jones box factory and the large mill of S.B. & B.W. Fleisher, beside scores of lesser industries and numerous houses., Taylor Catalog Number: 110

The Tabernacle, Broad and South Penn Square
Depicts a Presbyterian church built in the style of a Classical temple., The congregation of the Seventh Presbyterian Church was organized in 1804 under the title of the Independent Tabernacle, having its place of worship in Ranstead Court, west of Fourth Street. For a short period, following 1816, it was identified with the reformed Dutch denomination. The Sixth Church was organized in 1814 in Independence Hall. The first-named church merged with the Sixth in 1819. The progressive element in this dual congregation built the much-admired Grecian temple here illustrated in 1842. It was usually known as the "Penn Square Church," and often as "Dr. McCook's Church." The Rev. Henry C. McCook was the last of a series of pastors who preached in the structure. He was installed in 1870. His final sermon here was delivered on June 30th, 1884. Soon afterward the building was removed and the Bets Building erected on the site. The congregation removed to its present location, at Thirty-seventh and Chestnut Streets, in October of that year., Taylor Catalog Number: 150

"The Cherry Tree"
View of a small wooden hotel on a cobblestone street with a wraparound porch. Men stand outside and a horse-drawn carriage waits in the street., One of the best known of the many small "inns" strewn along the old highways leading outward from the city was the "Cherry Tree Hotel," which swung its welcoming sign upon Baltimore Road at Forty-seventh Street, "holding the fort" there until the spread of modern residential operations engulfed it and it was replaced by a modern tavern, which preserves the old name, although the famous old tree no longer yields its luscious burden of fruit. This drawing has been made from a sketch providently pencilled by its neighbor, the present artist, when its destruction impended some fifteen years ago., Taylor Catalog Number: 28

"The Oldest House in Philadelphia"
Shows the building on the corner of two narrow cobblestone streets. A horse-drawn carriage waits outside., For the accuracy of the above title the "Founders' Week Committee," charged with the duty of marking historical places within the city, made itself responsible when it so marked the ancient house hidden away within the block east from Third Street and south from Chestnut Street; to be more exact, at the southwest corner of Carter's Alley (now Ionic Street) and Exchange Place. For many years past a saloon has occupied the structure, upon the northern wall of which there is a marble Keystone bearing the date of its erection in 1692. There are external evidences that the original front faced southward, probably upon a garden space sloping downward to Dock Creek. The heavy timbering of the house is well preserved. No research among early historical works of local limitations has uncovered any credible traditions concerning its builder or those who, in the course of its two and a quarter centuries of existence, lived within its walls. Here is a tempting nut for later delvers to crack., Taylor Catalog Number: 164

The Russian Shoe
Reproduction of a drawing of a market night scene. The area under the awning is lit, and there are shoppers and a cart in the foreground., The above term was used by a neighboring saloon-keeper in reply to a question and it seems to well-fit the distinely foreign aspect of this scene which any delver may discover beneath the frontage of the old Union Market on Second Street north of Callowhill Street. The "high cost of living" has not reached this humblr mart, in the matter of shoes of every sort to suit the lean purse of teh Saturday night patron. Here is the southern outpost of a retail section along old Second Street, which remains, despite all competition the shopping district for a great population in the Eleventh Ward and beyond its confines., Taylor Catalog Number: 187

Third Street Hall
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a five story building at an intersection. The building has a sign that reads "Third Street Hall," and there are both pedestrians on the porch of thebuilding and horse drawn carriages in the street., This once popular hotel, located at the corner of Third and Willow Streets, enjoyed prosperity in the early days of rail and canal travel from the fact that it was the starting point for the cars of the Peoples' Line, connecting through to Pittsburgh, and also for vehicles carrying passengers to the depot of the Philadelphia & Trenton Railroad, in Kensington. The structure was built in 1833 by Enoch Middleton. It contained above 100 rooms for lodgers. When, in the summer of 1840, an effort was made to lay tracks fro Kensington along Front Street to Willow Street and so reach the company's headquarters in the hotel, a fierce riot ensued and the project was abandoned. In addition to the passenger trains starting by horse-power, from Third Street and over the "Western Railroad," the Willow Street tracks were used by a line of pleasure cars which ran hourly, to and from Fairmount, at a fare of twenty-five cents. This line of cars was operated by an Italian confectioner named Lucian. The first locomotive ever operated in Philadelphia was moved over the Willow Street route in September, 1832, this beign so recorded by Scharf & Westcott. Thebasis of this drawing was a wood cut of 1840, at which time Joseph Hall conducted the hotel and the depot of the "Eastern and Western" Railroad lines was in the building to the right of the view., Taylor Catalog Number: 188

Those Troublesome Old Toll Houses
Shows sketches of five different toll houses from the Philadelphia area, labeled according to their location., These several typical toll-houses will be remembered by every cyclist of days gone by. They were survivals of a system of highways leading outward from the city which were extended and maintained by private corporations which provided the capital State of local authorities were unable to do. Some of these "stand and deliver" stations are still doing business (in 1918), but they are gradually disappearing after a long time of prosperity by reason of the purchase of the turnpike franchises with public money., Taylor Catalog Number: 144

The Tiger Inn, Fourth Street and Old York Road
Depicts the inn and surrounding buildings at the intersection of Fourth Street and York Road, including the flag pole., At the junction of a section of Old York road which remains and Fourth Street stood, until 1921, the picturesque remnant of the Tiger Inn. A century ago it was a station where the hurrying stages, en route to New York, took on uptown passengers. There is record that from the balcony of this little tavern, Lafayette addressed the people when last visiting America. The flag staff seen in this picture was originally raised in 1810 by James MItchell, a neary-by merchant. An effigy of the Indian, at its top, serves to keep alive the tradition that here the last council of the Indians was held prior to their removal from the town. This drawing was made in 1921., Taylor Catalog Number: 286

The Tun Tavern
Depicts the Tun Tavern and adjacent buildings. Men stand on the front porch and pedestrians stroll down the sidewalk in front of the building., This quaint inn of the Colonial days was situated in Water Street, its exact location being now a matter of some doubt. That it was a resort of good repute is proven by the fact that the Masonic Grand Lodge covened here between the years 1732 and 1735, and that Lodge No. 3, which gathered beneath its roof from 1749 to 1755, was known as the "Tun Lodge.", Taylor Catalog Number: 350

The Turmoil of
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a busy day on Dock Street with buildings fronted by awnings as well as pedestrians, horses, a truck, and a streetcar. There are multiple pedestrians in the foreground, including a policeman and two men talking by a barrel., From the early days of the city those who prospered began to build spacious houses along the nether shores of Dock Creek where its twin affluents, winding through wildwood groves, met and formed a haven. Their gardens were spread along its slopes, gracing a scene of sylvan beauty, but there came a time whenpestilence spread from the polluted stream and, at great cost, Dock Creek was roofed by a pavement and this broad winding space became and has since remained our greatest provision mart, affording busy and always picturesque vistas of which this scene is typical. Dock Street is an arena of the never-ending battle between plenty and hunger. The vital business of fetching and distribution is Dock Street's one big occupation by night and day. If Dock Street ever sleeps it is just for a few hours on a Sunday., Taylor Catalog Number: 200

The Twaddell Homestead
View of a large residence surrounded by trees. The image is labeled, "The Twaddell Homestead, Forty Sixth Street and Baltimore Ave.," in the bottom left corner., Baltimore Avenue's most interesting home seems destined to pass from existence soon before the inroads of the operative builders. This fine example of colonial architecture occupies the centre of the block between Forty-fourth and Forty-fifth Streets northwest from Baltimore Avenue. Old-time gardens grace the frontage of the house, shaded by the century-old trees. The rear portion of the house used as a kitchen was orignially the home of a Swedish settler and is counted as one of the first five habitations built west of the Schuylkill River., Taylor Catalog Number: 185

Two Historic Chestnut Street Houses and the Brown Building
Shows a row of buildings on the corner of Fifth and Chestnut Streets with stores of various types on the first floor., A pair of fine old Colonial structures stood for the greater part of a century at Fifth and Chestnut streets. One of them, upon the northeast corner, held for a number of years, prior to 1800, the offices of the Secretary of War and of the Postmaster-General. In the house adjoining, upon the east, Joseph Hopkinson, who wrote the inspiring words of "Hail, Columbia!" had his law office. In later times the stores of Frederick Brown, druggist, and Pepper & Son, jewelers, were upon the street floor of the corner house, and the adjoining structure had become the Rubicam saloon (originally upon Sixth street, near Jayne street). This establishment was afterward locally noted as the Cafe Tortoni. In 1854 Mr. Brown covered these sites with his large five-story iron building, the upper floors of which contained the publishing business of Evans' Gift Emporium and suites of offices for many tennants. Two properties now covered by the Lafayette Building, were acquired by Stephen Girard in 1827 and 1828. They were situated on Fifth street, above Chestnut street, and were purchased from Joseph Hopkinson and Thomas Fletcher. In 1872 the city of Philadelphia, as Trustee of the Girard Estate, acquired from Mrs. Elzabeth Blake the Fifth street building, formerly containing Blake's music store. The Frederick Brown building was bought by the city upon account of the Girard Estate in 1903. The Lafayette Building was erected in 1907, when the Board of City Trusts established its offices here., Taylor Catalog Number: 82

Two Old Timers in Juniper Street
Shows two sketches. The top sketch depicts a residence on Juniper Street, which is a remaining dwelling from a previous suburban community depicted in the bottom sketch., The two neatly-kept little dwellings in Juniper Street, north from Locust Street and in the rear of the Philadelphia Library, are surviving reminders of "the village," an early suburban settlement, mainly of wooden construction, which once covered this square, and which included a tavern, at the corner of Broad and Locust Streets, and a police station adjoining, behind which a fire-bell tower rose above the trees. The general view of the village has been made from a small but interesting contemporary sketch painted by the father of Mr. Newman F. McGirr, the book dealer. It may be seen at the above named library., Taylor Catalog Number: 257

Two Walnut Street Homes Now Gone
Contains two sketches of residences on Walnut Street. The top sketch depicts a residence at the corner of Sixteenth and Walnut Streets, which has since been replaced by the Medical Arts Building. The lower sketch shows a residence at the corner of Eighteenth and Walnut Streets that was the former home of Alexander J. Drexel and later William Warren Gibbs., These spacious homes, not long ago notable features of a seemingly well-entrenched and exclusive residential section, are no longer. The upper residence, at the northwest corner of Walnut and Sixteenth streets, was, in turn, the home of Dr. D. Hayes Agnew, Dr. De Forrest Willard and George Albert Huhn. The site is now covered by the Medical Arts Building, erected in 1917. The lower sketch depicts the former residence of Alexander J. Drexel. For some years it was occupied by William Warren Gibbs, the site at the northeast corner of Walnut and Eighteenth streets is now that of a lofty but nameless apartment structure., Taylor Catalog Number: 118

Venerable Neighbors of Independece Hall
View of the Philadelphia Library, Mercantile Library, and Philadelphia Dispensary near Independence Hall., The Philadelphia Library, the Mercantile Library, and Philadelphia Dispensary buildings formed a notable trio of dignified examples of the old-time architecture of the city. The first-named was removed to make room for the Drexel building about 1880. The others are still in situ. When the Library Company of Philadelphia was organized by Benjamin Franklin and some of his fellow bibliophiles in 1731, it was content with humble quarters but, at the age of fifty-nine years, it was able to erect the fine building here depicted. It became the custodian of the priceless Loganian Library. The system of loaning books without charge originated with this institution. The library is now located upon Locust Street east of Broad Street. The costly building and collection of rare books bequeathed by Dr. James Rush is administered as the Ridgway Branch. The Mercantile Library Company was founded in 1820. The building, in the centre of this group, was erected in 1845. The Library removed, in 1868, to the more spacious structure on Tenth Street below Market Street, which had been built some years before by the Franklin Market Company. The beneficent little Dispensary, built in 1801, still remains to minister freely to sick and injured applicants of the poor, the oldest and one of the most worthy charities of its kind in the United States., Taylor Catalog Number: 191

A Vista of Old Front Street
Depicts the busy intersection near 11th and Chestnut surrounded by residences and tall commercial buildings. The street is filled with pedestrians, as well as an early automobile and a horse-drawn carriage., This sketch, from a contemporary photograph, depicts a central section of old Front Street in the period when a once popular residential district had been invaded by business and those then living were crowded into the upper floors. Behind many of these dingy fronts yet remain the cluttered apartments - once ornate parlors and banquet halls wherein vanished generations of the socially elect held carnival, youth made love and portly merchants talked of growling trade and fruitful ventures in far lands. Front Street, in these modern days is crowded with the clutter of such a business as those old timers never visioned., Taylor Catalog Number: 149

The Walnut Street Theatre
View of the Walnut Street Theatre at about 1830., The Walnut, America's oldest existing theatre, was built for circus purposes, in 1808, but soon afterward was adapted to the presentation of plays. The original walls are still in place, but many changes of both interior and exterior have been made. First called "The New Circus," it became the "Olympic," but gained its present name in the days of Forrest and Kean. It was briefly called, in 1834, "The American." It was bought in 1865 by John S. Clarke and Edwin Booth. Ten years later it was taken over by George K. Goodwin and has since had many lessees and owners. It is said to hold the record of never missing a season in its long history as a popular place of entertainment. At one time or another nearly every noted actor and actress of the American Stage has appeared upon its stage. The illustration depicts its appearance about the period of 1830., Taylor Catalog Number: 208

Water Street Warehouses
Reproduction of a drawing of a series of warehouses, with signs reading "Wise & Co. Pipe Makers" and "Delaware House." Pedestrians and horse-drawn wagons are in the street while pedestrians interact at the warehouse enterances., These quaint old warehouses, which were photographed in 1861 by Amos Bonsall, stood upon Water street, between Dock and Spruce streets. The site is now, in 1918, covered by the rear building of teh Delaware Market. The original structure located here was a fish market, built by the city in 1764. A belfry surmounted the roof, the bell being rung to notify house-wives of the arrival of sloops bringing fish. At that time Water street bore the name of King street. Two bridges, just north of the market, spanned Dock Creek. The building was altered, about 1830, into stores, as shown in the drawing. One or both of them were occupied afterward by John Watt, a dealer in corn., Taylor Catalog Number: 128

The Wedge - Philadelphia's Smallest Apartment Building
Depicts a row of buildings on a cobblestone street, focused on the one-story apartment building to the left., This odd bit of real estate exists upon Buttonwood Street between American and Second Streets. It stands upon an acute triangle, which includes the narrow three-floor building in the background. The property is a part of the estate of J.B. Arbuckle. The average depth of the three one-story "apartments" is about four and a half feet. The latest tenants of these little rooms were a shoe repairer and a plumber. The drawing was made from a photo taken in 1918 by Mr. Albert E. Sloan., Taylor Catalog Number: 143

Westward Along Quiet Locust Street
Shows buildings on the 1300 block of Locust Street looking westward. The present building for the Pennsylvania Historical Society can be seen on the left side of the image closest to the viewer., Only those who look upward take artistic note of the light that plays upon lofty casements above the shadows of lesser things. This glimpse, westward from Thirteenth Street, along Locust, "The Street of Libraries," is an instance in point. Vistas such as this embody the spirit of "ever-changing Philadelphia," telling the story, as they do, of a city rebuilding for a greater future, yet rich in the dignity of quiet byways where bookish men and women may stand and loiter and admire, impeding none who hurry., Taylor Catalog Number: 29

Westward of Centre Square
Busy intersection lined with both commercial and residential buildings. Horse-drawn carriages and trolleys are in the street and pedestrians move down the sidewalk., Taylor Catalog Number: 3

When the Liberty Bell
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a lit window and open door at night. A backlit crane is lowering a bell into the doorway in front of a large crowd holding flags., Safely back from the acclaim of patriotic millions, loath to say "Good-bye!", the tired old Bell came, at last, to its home portal at nightfall upon Thanksgiving day, 1915. Welcomed by all Philadelphia, it had moved slowly, flower decked, with soldiery and music through the crowded streets to old Independence Hall. The gently creaking cordage swung it clear of its chariot; it was lowered upon the waiting pedestal; the lashings were loosed and the journey was done. The most thankful person in Philadelphia that night were, doubtless, those city officals and members of the police force who were especially entrusted with the safe handling and guarding of the priceless relic during this, the latest and longest journey to which it has been subjected., Taylor Catalog Number: 39

Where American Paper Was First Made
View of a brick farm house and outbuilding next to a creek. There is a path leading to a bridge over the creek., One of the most treasured of the colonial homes now within Fairmount Park is a quaint little home upon the Wissahickon stream neaer Valley Green. It was here that William Rittenhouse, a German immigrant, built and operated in 1690, the first paper mill in America. This mill, no longer existent, stood just across the small run, opposite the house, within which David Rittenhouse, scientist and astronomer was born in 1732. A second paper mill was built, by William Dewees, brother-in-law of William Rittenhouse, in 1710, on the Wissahickon above the original mill., Taylor Catalog Number: 264

Where Franklin Sleeps
View of Benjamin Franklin's grave, looking from the graveyard to the row of buildings across the street., The graves of Benjamin and Deborah, his wife, are covered by a marble slab close to the railed opening in the wall of Christ Church Cemetery at Arch and Fifth streets. The larger building shown in the drawing, located on the north side of Arch street, at the present number 429, was erected by Benjamin Franklin upon ground bought by him in 1741, and which extended northward to Appletree alley. In Franklin's written instructions, preserved by the Philosophical Society, he states that he intended this building to serve as a model for a type of home suitable for families of moderate means. The fact that the plan included an office below the main floor suggests the possibility that the rear building may have been used as a printery, although no evidence of such use has been discovered by the writer., Taylor Catalog Number: 89

Where Old Philadelphia Still Clings to the Soil
Sketch of the rooftops of a cluster of crowded homes., Taylor Catalog Number: 4

Where Our Fathers and Mothers Laughed Their Troubles Away
View of a theatre at night where people gather in front of the building. Signs on the building read, "Dumont's Minstrels.", This long-noted temple of laughter, located on the east side of Eleventh Street just south of the Bingham House, was built upon the site of an old church. It was opened on December 4th, 1854, by H.S. Cartee as a "Lyceum." In the following year it was leased by Cotton & Dixie, under the title of "Eleventh Street Opera House." Very soon afterward it became the "New American Opera House," under management of Samuel S. Sanford. Then it was taken over by Carncross and Dixie, who made fun, fame and fortune here for more than a generation. The last combination to occupy the old home of minstrelsy before the foot-lights were forever extinguished was the Dumont troupe. The building was removed in 1912 to made room for a "Horn & Hardart" restaurant., Taylor Catalog Number: 36

Where Robert Morris Closed His Eventful Life
Depicts a row of townhomes on South Twelfth Street, one of which was the house where Robert Morris died., The residence, No. 32 South Twelfth Street, was located upon the site now covered, in part, by the building of the Commonwealth Title and Trust Company. It was the home of Henry Nixon, a son of Col. John Nixon, second President of the Bank of North America, and who first read in public, on July 8th, 1776, the Declaration of Independence. Henry Nixon married Maria, youngest daughter of Robert Morris, and it was here, in her home, that the aged financier found refuge after his long imprisonment for debt, and here he died, on May 7th, 1806., Taylor Catalog Number: 32

Where Sky-Scrapers Now Rise
Shows the corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets. Pedestrians and vehicles are in the street., Not so long ago the space upon which the Real Estate Trust Building and the North American Building now rise held the structures here portrayed. At the corner of Chestnut and Broad streets there yet remained the large mansion wherein Harmer served good dinners to particular people, where the Pennsylvania Railroad Company sold tickets and where Benjamin Franklin (not the philosopher, mind you!) kept his sleuths where they were not on the track of evil-doers. Just below, on neighborly terms with other residences. Hallowell & Son sold choice fruits, and, at the corner of George street, the old Independent Church still recalled the eloquence of Dr. Chambers., Taylor Catalog Number: 43

Where Sky-Scrapers Now Rise
Shows the corner of Broad and Chestnut Streets. Signs are visible on buildings for B. Franklin's Detective Agency, Pennsylvania Railroad, and Henry M. Hallowell & Son Fruits., Not so long ago the space upon which the Real Estate Trust Building and the North American Building now rise held the structures here portrayed. At the corner of Chestnut and Broad streets there yet remained the large mansion wherein Harmer served good dinners to particular people, where the Pennsylvania Railroad Company sold tickets and where Benjamin Franklin (not the philospher, mind you!) kept his sleuths when they were not on the track of evil-doers. Just below, on neighborly terms with other residences. Hallowell & Son sold choice fruits, and, at the corner of George street, the old Independent Church still recalled the eloquence of Dr. Chambers., Taylor Catalog Number: 44

Where the Civil War was Financed
View of a five-story office building and an adjacent classical-style building on a busy street., Jay Cooke was a young banker from Ohio connected, in 1861, with a prominent banking house in Philadelphia. When the national government required vast sums to put and keep the Union forces in the field, he was among the first to respond. He located in the building upon Third Street, adjoining the Girard Bank, and organized the greatest advertising campaign ever known. Throughout the war his agents scoured the entire north. He was able to supply the Federal cause, through those historic years, with money to the total of $1,500,000,000, at the rate of four and one-half per cent. interest. For this service his firm was paid about one-sixteenth of one per cent., Taylor Catalog Number: 348

Where the Mercantile Library Now Stands
Row of wooden commercial buildings with signs advertising the businesses., This group of wooden structures, survivals of the period when Tenth street was still a suburban road, were removed in 1859 to make room for the Franklin Market House, which, a few years later, was bought and occupied by the Mercantile Library Company., Taylor Catalog Number: 45

Where Thomas Jefferson Wrote the Declaration of American Independence
Large four-story building where businesses are housed. Identified as being the place where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence., For many years local historians were at odds concerning the location of the house in which he maintained his lodging in 1776 and where he penned the immortal document which is the basis of our national freedom from foreign control. Nearly half a century after the signing of this Declaration by those assembled at Philadelphia upon behalf of the thirteen States then existent, Jefferson wrote from his home at Monticello stating that his rooms, in 1776, were in a house owned by a young married man named Graff. This property, at the southwest corner of High and Seventh streets, was purchased in the following year by Jacob Hiltzheimer, the diarist, who kept store here until his death, of yellow fever, in 1801. The building was then bought by Simon Gratz. An examination of the records cleared the doubt and, although the old structure housed many small industries in later times, it stood high among the historical assets of the city and nation. The drawing herewith was made from a photograph, taken in 1859, just prior to the removal of the market houses. The old relic was torn down in 1882, being replaced by the present modern building of the Penn National Bank, upon the front of which a bronze tablet is affixed, testifying to the historical connection of the site with the genesis of our National Independence., Taylor Catalog Number: 61

The Whitall House, Red Bank, N.J.
Side view of a stone farm house near the Delaware River. People stand on the front porch while a man stand with a cart in the foreground of the image., This picturesque Colonial house stands close to the shore of the Delaware River, just below the historic earthwork known as Fort Mercer, the scene of the Revolutionalry battle of Red Bank, N.J. It was the farm house of James and Ann Whitall. Although alone in the house upon the day of the attack upon the American force by the Hessian troops, the courageous Quaker matron remained in her home placidly engaged in domestic duties, despite the fierce conflict close by. After the defeat of the Hessians their commander, Count Donop, was among the wounded to whom she ministered. This young officer was afterward removed to another house and died at the end of a week. The total loss of the invaders was about 600, including many officers. The fort was defended by Col. Christoper Greene, of Rhode Island. The battle was fought upon October 22nd, 1777. The Whitall property is now a part of the Red Bank National Park and is maintained as a museum under the charge of the Board of Freeholders of Gloucester County. Near the house is a stately monument erected by the Commonwealth to mark the site of the old fort, in 1906. A small monument erected in 1829 is still preserved., Taylor Catalog Number: 137

The William Penn Hotel
View of the four-story William Penn Hotel and adjacent horse market., This ancient hostelry has been a cheery feature of Market Street beyond the Schuylkill River from the days when that busy highway was a country road and Thirty-ninth Street just west of it, was "William" Street. It is closed at last. It was a favorite resort of generations of horse-dealers, a vocation now passing out. From this old tavern stages departed via the "permanent" bridge for the city, and westward out the West Chester pike. One day, some twenty years ago, the last stage ever leaving Philadelphia made its final trip from here to Newton Square., Taylor Catalog Number: 196

The Woodlands and Bartram's Mansion
Contains two panels of country mansions. The top panel depicts a home with a neo-classical porch, identified as having been owned by Andrew Hamilton. The bottom panel depicts a home covered in ivy and surrounded by trees and identifired as having been built by John and Mary Bartram., There was a time when the unpolluted tide-water Schuylkill River was bordered by fine country seats and the embowered road leading from the town down the George Gray's ferry was a populat drive. The two well-preserved examples of COlonial homes here shown are the Woodlands and Bartram's Mansion. The first-named was established by Andrew Hamilton, an eminent jurist, in 1735, devised to his son, Andrew, designer of the State House, in 1741, and then passed to a grandson, William, in 1747. The latter erected the existing mansion about the time of the Revolution. The property covered 356 acres. It was devoted to cemetery purposes in 1835. Bartram's Mansion and garden are now city property. The interesting stone house was built by John and Mary Bartram in 1731, and, in time, the botanist and his rare garden became famous. The children of the worthy couple maintained the garden beyond a century. It then became the property of Andrew Eastwick, whose large residence formerly stood nearby. The Bartram Association of Descendants meet, here, annually., Taylor Catalog Number: 99

The Yellow City
Aerial view of a mansion featuring columns in the front and a large garden behind it. Pedestrians stand outside on the sidewalk near a busy, tree-lined intersection., Taylor Catalog Number: