Back to top


The Academy in Locust Street
Depicts a very large four-story brick building on Locust Street, home of the Academy of the Protestant Episcopal Church., The Academy of the Protestant Episcopal Church was founded in 1785 through the efforts of the Rev. William White D.D., first bishop of Pennsylvania. Its early trustees included many distinguished citizens. The Academy first occupied the dwelling which had been the home, in Franklin Court, of Benjamin Franklin. The institution was chartered in 1787. After several removals it established its home, in 1849, here upon Locust Street east of Broad Street. The original structure at this site was subsequently enlarged and a gymnasium was built in the rear. The Academy abandoned its historic location in 1921 for a more spacious home in Merion beyond the City line., Taylor Catalog Number: 258

Academy of Fine Arts on Chestnut Street
Busy street scene in front of the Academy of Fine Arts on Chestnut Street., When the artists and other interested citizens who were the fathers of the first American art institution built their structure, in 1805, upon the north side of Chestnut Street, west of Tenth Street, it was environed by a pleasant garden space. The original structure was burned in 1845. It was rebuilt and, as the encroachments of business forced economics of space, stores were erected in front. The old academy was the alma mater of many artists of note and the repository of a valuable collection of art works. The building was vacated in 1870 and later became "Fox's Varieties," destroyed by fire in 1877. The site is now covered by the Chestnut Street Opera House., Taylor Catalog Number: 40

All aboard for
Reproduction of a drawing of a mid 19th-century scene showing mules pulling a flatbed containing a sectional packet boat bound for Pittsburgh via railroad, canal, and river. Depicts the ferry "Sarah Jane," teeming with passengers, awaiting departure from in front of the Merchants' Exchange. Surrounding the boat section are a crowd of well-wishers and passer-bys, including an African American man carrying a trunk., The efforts of Pennsylvania to develop traffic and travel between the seaboard and the interior of the country resulted in the last century in a vast expenditure of public and corporate money upon canals and rail lines which have long since ceased their functions. A picturesque feature of travel to the West, in the early forties, is shown in this drawing, which is based upon the recollections of old citizens. While the point of departure for the sectional packets was, generally, from Broad and Vine streets, it is stated that both freight and passenger boats were hauled by mules from Dock street, being upon eight-wheeled rail-cars, and taken to the foot of Belmont incline, via High, Broad and Willow streets to Fairmount and Columbia Bridge. Raised upon inclined plane by stream, they were placed, near Belmont, upon the State Railroad and pilled by horse-power to Columbia. Here the sections of the boats were united and proceeded via the Susquehanna and Juniata canals to Hollidaysburg. Thence the sections were transported over the mountains by the once famous Portage inclines. From Johnstown the journey to Pittsburgh was via the Conemaugh and Alleghany rivers. The through trip occupied four and a half days., Taylor Catalog Number: 132

Along Lower Chestnut Street - 1845
Cobblestone street lined with stores and residences. Horse-drawn carriages and pedestrians populate the street., A sixty-year-old daguerreotype was the basis of this drawing portraying the quaint jumble of buildings facing southward upon Chestnut street eastward from Second street. Note how the determined, yes, indignant little houses of an earlier era are being elbowed by heartless warehouses. Note, also, the then typical wooden awning posts and the quaint street lamp of the time. When Mason, with his camera, saved this bit of old Philadelphia for us he did a good day's work., Taylor Catalog Number: 404

Along Lower Chestnut Street - 1853
Depicts a row of large commercial buildings. Pedestrians stand on the sidewalk and buy items from a stand., Taylor Catalog Number: 66

Along Old Pear Street
Depicts a commercial street with pedestrians and two horse-drawn carriages. The buildings, from left to right, are identified as "Bushnell & Tull: Manufacturers of velocipedes, propellers, children's gigs, cabs, coaches, hobby-borses, etc.," "Lager Beer Hall," and "Steam Saw Mill & Mahogany Yard.", This drawing, from a photograph made in 1861, portrays a bit of old Pear Street, now called "Chancellor," which extends westward from Dock to Third Street. The central feature shows the historic Anthony Morris brew-house, built in 1867, a part of which was occupied in more modern times by the Eisenbrey saw mill and mahogany business. The first of the long-popular Atlantic City rolling-chairs were made in the toy vehicle factory shown at the left. The old Upton tavern was famed among our grandfathers for its brew of Rodman ales. A part, at least, of the residence at the right was long tenanted by John King, a gold-beater., Taylor Catalog Number: 127

The Amateur Drawing Room
Depicts a building on a street corner identified by a sign that reads, "Frank P. Mellen: Hay Straw and Oats." A horse and cart wait outside., If the gift of eloquence "runs in your family" mayhap it should be attributed to that Philadelphia grandfather who, in his aspiring youth, was a shining light in some one of the once-numerous dramatic coteries of the old town. This building, depicted in its day of humiliation as a storehouse of trade, was known to society as the Amateur Drawing Room. Its site is now occupied by the branch post office upon Seventeenth street, above Chestnut street. It was originally an Episcopal church structure. The Wheatley Dramatic Association, which had long held forth at Fifth and Gaskill streets, removed here in 1865, a period when the stress of war had put an end to other organizations of the kind, and this cosey little theatre was occupied by the "Wheatleys" until they, too, disappeared from the stage in 1881. The "Drawing Room" was much in favor, for a long time, for general entertainment., Taylor Catalog Number: 120

Another Passing Rialto
View of a row of commercial buildings on a busy street displaying advertisements., This last group of once well-kept residential properties forms all that is left of the cordon of homes, long ago the domiciles of many of our "best families," which once surrounded the centre squares. These old timers, gaudy with the lure of signboards, are awaiting the inevitable. Since old John Barleycorn went out of business all hope has flown. No doubt somewhere somebody is, even now, putting another "skyscraper" on paper which, in the fulness of time, will rise triumphant on this spot and even the name of Harry Edwards will become a fading memory., Taylor Catalog Number: 206

Around the Head
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a series of hotels, including the Exchange Hotel. There are pedestrians and horse drawn carriages in the street, and the end of a freight train in the foreground., In the forties and long afterward upper Dock street was the hub of business and social Philadelphia. In the broad space between the Pennsylvania Bank and the imposing building of the Commercial Exchange, built in 1832, was the point of arrival and departure of stages, hacks and in their time horse-cars, which provided much of the transit of their time. Here, also, were freight sidings, the cars from the West being drawn hither by long lines of mules. Round about were the most popular taverns and saloons of the town. One of these, the Exchange Hotel, then numbered 75 and 77 Dock street, managed by Copple and Jones, and at one time was called the "Wisconsin Hotel," was famous for its profuse menu. Masons of high degree banqueted at its table and often. Here in February, 1852, Gen. Louis Kossuth, the Hungarian patriot, with his staff, was entertained by important citizens, an event long remembered among the gustatory triumphs of the period. The old hotel was displaced long ago by a commercial edifice, now numbered 235 Doct Street. The present structure (in 1918) is marked for removal to make room for something still more modern and roomy., Taylor Catalog Number: 121

At Seventh and Chestnut Streets in 1853
Balcony view of Barnum's Museum from across Chestnut Street filled with horse-drawn carriages. A woman in the foreground wearing a ruffled dress looks down on the busy street from the balcony, while a dog rests in the chair next to her., The Waln mansion, one of the city's most pretentious residences, was built in 1807 by William Waln, a son of the more widely known Nicholas Waln, at the southeastern corner of Seventh and Chestnut streets. The owner, having fallen upon evil days, sold the property to William Swaim, whose medical laboratory was located adjoining upon the south. Dr. Swaim's son removed the Waln house in 1848 and built upon the site the structure here depicted. The upper floors were devoted to a large concert hall and exhibition rooms, which were opened in the winter of 1848 as "Silsbee's Atheneum and Museum." A few years later Phineas T. Barnum leased the establishment and conducted it to the delight and instruction of Philadelphia, until it was destroyed by fire on the night of December 30, 1859. The drawing is made from a lithograph printed in 1853., Taylor Catalog Number: 76

At Six O'Clock
View of the Philadelphia skyline at night in 1916. City Hall is clearly visible to the left of the image., The heart of the city presents, on a winter evening, a wonderful picture of towering office buildings aglow with lights from a thousand windows. This sketch, made from the roof of the new Bell Telephone Building, suggests the power and ambitions fo the new Philadelphia, which has, within a few years, so shut in a dwarfed our once dominant City Hall., Taylor Catalog Number: 52

At Sixth and Sansom Streets
Cobblestone street view of the corner of Sansom and Sixth streets. Shows residential buildings as well as pedestrianas and horse-drawn carriages., Several survivals of the array of residential buildings which once fronted Independence Square, along Sixth Street. still remain (in 1916). These roomy structures were the homes, a century ago, of affluent families. That one at the corner of Sansom (formerly George) Street was the birthplace of John Welsh. a notable citizen, best remembered as the leader of the group of distinguished citizens who organized, financed and carried to the success the memorable Centennial Exhibition. The Wetherill House, on Sansom Street, shown in the drawing, was a favorite place for military meetings in the early months of the Civil War. The old Washington Grays organized here, the members of the First Regiment Gray Reserves and a part of the Seventeenth Regiment of the Three Months' Campaign. The building upon the southwestern corner was long occupied by the Board of Health. Later it was replaced by a structure of the Fire Department service., Taylor Catalog Number: 42

At Sixth and Walnut Streets
Street view of the corner of Sixth and Walnut Streets. Pedestrians, a trolley, and an early automobile populate the street, while the corner building reads, "Union Casualty Insurance Company.", Taylor Catalog Number: 17

At the Corner of Pewter Platter Alley
Depicts a narrow street corner with residences and pedestrians., Local historians disagree concerning the location of the early tavern which gave its name to Pewter Platter alley, which was, still earlier, called Jones alley, in deference to the property holdings of Griffith Jones, once Mayor (and an unwilling one) of Philadelphia. This narrow throroughfare is found immediately opposite Christ Church, extending eastward to Front Street. It is now designated, much to the regret of historic delvers, "Church street." Several ancient houses in this artery of traffic still remain. The home of the Parrish family, at the northeastern corner of Second street and the alley, is most interesting. Here lived Isaac Parrish, merchant, and Sarah his wife, daughter of Abraham Mitchell, through sixty-six years. Of their eight children born here two sons died in the yellow fever plague of 1793. It was doubtless as a result of the distress of that sad time that Ann Parrish and other formed the "Female Society for the Employment of the Poor," the first organization of the kind in the city. Dr. Joseph Parrish placed his "shingle" upon the house, as a physician, in 1806. He became noted among the medical leaders of his time., Taylor Catalog Number: 95

At the Foot of South Street
Shows a busy pier near South Street bustling with the activity of carriages and locomotives. A schooner rests in the water., Old-timers of the river wards yet recall the days when the Delaware River front was fringed with a forest of loft spars and intricate cordage; when the jib-booms and bow hamper of ships-of-sail projected far inshore from every wharf. This scene, drawn at the foot of South Street, hints of the survival, in the battle with steam, of the hardy schooner type of sea-going craft, a fine example of which has poked its nose in among iron treighters, demanding a share of the business with which fussy locomotives, drays and motors constantly clutter piers., Taylor Catalog Number: 35

At the Four Corners
Depicts the busy intersection between Broad and Chestnut Streets surrounded by tall commercial buildings. The street is filled with pedestrians, as well as an early automobile and a horse-drawn carriage. A part of City Hall can be seen on the far right of the image., Taylor Catalog Number: 7

The Athenian Buildings
Depicts a four-story publishing building with signs advertising the company and the books it sells., This structure, once the hive of a group of printing and publishing concerns, was located on the west side of Franklin Court, now South Orianna Street. The rear of the banking building of E.W. Clark & Co. occupies a part of the site, which also covers at least a part of the "mansion house" built under the direction of Madame Franklin in 1756 while Benjamin Franklin was in Europe, a spacious house, fully described in Watson's Annals. It is said that James Wilson, grandfather of President Wilson, edited the "Aurora" here, and it was in this building also that an aggressive young Scotchman, James Gordon Bennett, published the "Daily Courier," which, afterward, purchased by Jasper Harding, became the "Inquirer." "Godey's Lady's Book" was another once popular publication put forth here., Taylor Catalog Number: 136

The "Bell"
View of a small, cramped tavern on a cobblestone alleyway. Two people stand at the entrance., This tavern, familiar to bibulous citizens as the "Bell," was long located at 48 South Eighth Street. It was built prior to 1828, at which time it was conducted by Hines Causland. In 1845, it was managed by James Boylen. The daguerreotype from which this drawing was taken was made at that period. It was always a favorite rendezvous for certain politicians. The original other half, at No. 26, was the home of Robert Bogle, a well-known negro caterer, who is said to have been the last tenant. Half buildings of this sort were once common in the city and a few examples still exist., Taylor Catalog Number: 67

A Benton Street Group
Depicts a street corner of townhomes, businesses, and an office building that dominates the background. People converse on the sidewalk., In the heart of the square West from Fifteenth Street and South from Market Street, these time-worn little homes and shops yet remain (in 1923) to afford a striking contrast with the lofty office structure rising behind them. The drawing aptly typifies the Philadelphia of the past and of the era of the "sky-scraper.", Taylor Catalog Number: 305

The Big Red House
View of a large four-story home with a walled-in garden on a busy street. Pedestrians are on the sidewalk, and early automobiles and a horse-drawn carriage are present in the street. The silhouette of City Hall can be seen on the far right of the image., Taylor Catalog Number:

The Bijou, Pioneer "Movie" Theatre
View of the Bijou Theatre. The building has an ornate facade and a sign saying, "B.F. Keith's Bijou Theatre.", This handsome vaudeville house of the Keith circuit, located upon Eighth street north of Race, is notable in the fact that it was the first play-house in this city, and the second in the United States, to exhibit "motion pictures." This novelty was introduced by the Keiths about 1892. From this experimental effort, which attracted at the time but scant public notice, has developed the immense and profitable business of the modern "movie.", Taylor Catalog Number: 81

Billy Wigglesworth's Toy Shop
Depicts a corner shop with a sign displayed over the door that says, "Wigglesworth - Toys.", Here, along about the year 1790, was the home of Santa Claus. It stood at the northeast corner of Second and Chestnut Streets, a joy to the children, generations of them, from the near-by homes of our "first families" who lived in Front Street. The site is now covered by the modern building of the Corn Exchange National Bank. This drawing has been made from a contemporary sketch by an unidentified artist., Taylor Catalog Number: 356

A Birthplace of Notables
Shows a residence on the corner of Sixth and Spruce Streets where Joseph Jefferson and E.T. Stotesbury were born., This drawing, made from a photo taken in 1923, by Mr. John C. Trautwine, Jr., depicts the dwelling, now somewhat changed, located at the Southwest corner of Sixth and Spruce Streets, which was the birthplace of Joseph Jefferson and also of Mr. E.T. Stotesbury., Taylor Catalog Number: 306

A Bit of Old Philadelphia at Seventh and Filbert Streets
Depicts a busy street corner with residences and businesses. The corner store displays a sign that reads, "Frank Melers' Grocery Store.", This quaint huddle of long-ago homes, now marked for removal, is yet existent (in 1916) at the Southwest corner of Seventh and Filbert Streets (which many school children of the sixties recall as Zane Street). Research has failed to discover anything beyond the fact that they were built when this neighborhood was a popular home section of the city. Hidden away behind them one who cares for such survivals may find a still older house which, doubtless, stood there, in its garden. When this was "out of town" and before the United States government bought across the street its first holding of real estate and built upon it the first national mint., Taylor Catalog Number: 56

The Blue Anchor Tavern and Dock Creek
View of the Blue Anchor Tavern and the adjacent creek, as well as a wooden bridge, and small boats., The basis of this drawing is the familiar wood-cut in Watson's Annals, made probably from a description. Minor details are, of course, due to artistic license. The "Blue Anchor," Philadelphia's first public house, was built, wholly or in part in 1862 [sic, i.e., 1682], the site being at the Dock Creek, on the west side of Front street. Beyond it upon the higher ground were scattered some eighty houses. When William Penn arrived Landlord Guests' house was still in the carpenter's hands. It was here, arriving at the public dock, which gave the creek its name, he came ashore with his associates, very likely the first travelers to "register" at a Philadelphia hotel. Guest and his successors as managers of the "Blue Anchor" were all Quakers. They were Reese Price, Peter Howard and Benjamin Humphries. At one period the tavern was named the "Boatswain and Call." The drawbridge superseded a ferry. Seagoing vessels entered the creek to obtain fresh water from excellent springs upon the shores. When the old stream was closed about 1875 an arched causeway was built at Front street., Taylor Catalog Number: 119

Bohl Bohlen, Merchant - His Store and Decendants
Shows a row of townhomes on a cobblestone street. People converse in front of the building and a horse-drawn carriage waits in the street., Bohl Bohlen came to America from Germany in 1790 and advertisted a little later as an importer located at 7 North Water Street, and afterward was located in the large residence upon South Fourth Street, which was removed in 1871 to make room for the building of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company. A son was Gen. W. Henry C. Bohlen, who became colonel of the 75th Regiment P.V., composed of German citizens, in 1861. Genreal Bohlen was killed at Freeman's Ford, in the Shendoah Valley, August 22, 1862. His wife was a Miss Borie. One of two daughters, Sophie, married Baron Brantien of Holland, and, later, wed Gustav Halbach. A son of this couple, Dr. Gustav von Bohlen und Halbach, married Antoinette Bertha Krupp in 1906 and thereby became the head of the great Krupp establishment at Essen, Germany., Taylor Catalog Number: 158

Building the Bridge
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a construction site on the water. Wooden scaffolding holds up cranes, with boats stationed nearby. Two men watch from the foreground., This powerful group of derricks, in use, when sketched, at the foot of Race Street, in the early months of 1923, rise in their strength, as a promise of fulfillment. Guided by the brain and hand of unseen men of skill they are clearing the way and delivering the material wich goes into the making of the great bridge which will soon span the Delaware river and bring millions of people into closer touch at a vast and constant saving of time and money., Taylor Catalog Number: 287

Buildings Once Facing Old Fairmount
View of Landing Avenue, near Fairmount Park, and the buildings that lined the street. Pedestrians are in the park and horse-drawn trollies travel down the avenue., This drawing, copied form a water color of fifty years ago, will recall to older Philadelphians the array of structures which fronted upon Fairmount before the city included the site within the grounds of the Park. The drive between the Park entrance at the monumental Washington group and the Lincoln statue follows nearly the street depicted, which was called Landing avenue., Taylor Catalog Number: 108

The Bull's Head Hotel and First American Rail Track
Contains two panels of locations where the first railway experiments took place. The top image shows front view of a three-story building labeled the Bull's Head Hotel. The bottom image shows a rear view of the same building where workers take care of horses and other animals in the courtyard., In the year 1809, the staid citizens of Philadelphia were agog with curiosity over a strange and mysterious thing upon a vacant tract beside the Bull's Head Tavern upon Second street, near Poplar street, just where there yet remained some remnants of the old line of defenses against teh rebel colonists, which were erected by British troops in 1777. Here a civil engineer named John Thompson, from Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and a Scotch millwright named SOmmerville were busy, during September, constructing a track of wooden rails resting upon sleepers eight feet apart, and having a grade of one and a half inches to the yard. When completed, it extended a hundred and eighty feet. This undertaking was upon the order of Thomas Leiper, a Scotchman, who had come to Philadelphia from Virginia many years before, and was best known as a tobacconist. He was also one of the survivors of those soldiers of the First Troop Philadelphia Cavalry, who had met the British at Princeton. At the time of this experiment, he was sixty-three years old, and had above $100,000 invested in turnpikes and canals in the state. He was also a contractor for stone just north of Chester, by sloops sailing up the Delaware River. When the experimental track was ready, a car with grooved wheels was placed upon it, and it was found that one horse could pull a heavy load upon the rails with more ease than several horses used upon an ordinary road. Thereupon, John Thompson secured a contract to build a similar track from the Leiper quarry to the landing upon Ridley Creek, ten miles down the river, a distance of one mile. This tramway was finished early in the following year. The son of the contracting engineer, John Edgar Thompson, afterward had an important part in the building of the early railroad lines now a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system, and became the President of that great corporation, a position which he held for twenty-seven years. The Leiper quarry tramway upon which horses were the motive power was in use nineteen years, and was teh first practical rail line built in the United States. In 1829, the son of Gen. Leiper completed a canal to the quarry, and the tram line was abandoned. The old Bull's Head Tavern where Leiper's seemingly absurd and costly experiment took place, no longer exists., Taylor Catalog Number: 83

A Busy Corner of Old Down Town
Intersection of Second and Chestnut Streets lined with commercial buildings. Pedestrians walk along the sidewalk while a horse-drawn carriage moves down the street., The story of every old landmark round about Second and Chestnut Streets should antedate the Revolution. The original structure at the northeast corner was very time worn when Billy Wigglesworth had his toy store there in 1790. Since then this and the adjoining property have been repeatedly built over. This corner was always a poptular center of the boot-making industry. Here was gathered, in long-ago times, a variety of retailers, profiting by location at the intersection of the city's two busiest highways. The drawing herewith portrays the buildings as seen in 1857. The Corn Exchange Bank had its first home here, and the successor of that institution, the Corn Exchange National Bank, occupies the handsome modern building which covers the same site., Taylor Catalog Number: 55

Busy Sansom Street
Shows a busy commercial street lined with businesses. The street holds pedestrians, horse-drawn carriages, a trolly, and an early automobile., Taylor Catalog Number: 21

The Cannon Ball House
Shows a farmhouse and a series of low, one-story buidings next to it reflected in the nearby creek. Cows and a horse-drawn wagon are in front., This sturdy farm house, upon Carpenter's Island, where Eagle Creek winds through the lowland to the Delaware River, is seen just south of the Penrose ferry road. The stray shot which gave it fame was fired from Fort Mifflin by the heroic garrison during the blockade of the river by the British fleet in October, 1777. The building was the home of the Bleakly family. Near the house, upon a knoll now marked by a little family burial ground, a party of grenadiers, under Captain Montressor, had established, over night, a battery intended to enfilade Fort Mifflin in the rear. The shot sent by American gunners was a notice to the enemy to vacate the house, which they proceeded to do. Considerable fighting occured here and at another redoubt placed by the enemy at the Ferry Tavern near by., Taylor Catalog Number: 140

Carpenters' Hall
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a building with the sinage "1724 Carpenters' Hall." Figures walk and converse in the courtyard in front of the building., This venerated structure is reached by a brief passageway leading south from Chestnut Street, between Third and Fourth Streets. It is owned by the ancient Carpenters' Company. It was within its walls that, nearly two years prior to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the first Continental Congress, composed of delegates from eleven provinces, adopted measures which advocated and finally led to the War of the Revolution and seperation from the dominion of Great Britain. The building is open to visitors upon weekdays., Taylor Catalog Number: 353

The Caspar Wistar House
Depicts a row of elegant townhomes at the intersection of Fourth and Locust Streets, occupied by Caspar Winstar, John Cadwalader, and Louis Phillippe., Chiefly notable, in its vicinity among the old homes of historic families thereabout, is the residence of Dr. Caspar Wistar, at the southwest corner of Fourth and Locust Streets. This and the house adjoining, upon the south - long the residence of the Hon. John Cadwalader - are now owned by the Mutual Assurance Company and are occupied as offices. The site of these houses was, with other land adjoining, granted by the Penns to Joseph and William Shippen. Dr. Wistar bought the ground and built in 1798, living here to the end of his life, in 1818. Dr. Caspar Wistar was eminent as a scientist and a scholar. He succeeded Thomas Jefferson as president of the American Philosophical Society, the members of which formed the coterie, famous as the "Wistar parties," which met here. Subsequent to the death of Dr. Wistar the house was sold to Job R. Tyson, Esq., and later became the office of James Dundas and of the Pratt estate. The royal exile, Louis Phillippe, lived, for a time, in the house shown upon the right of the picture. This dwelling was removed about 1898., Taylor Catalog Number: 139

A Challenge to Old Mansions!
Shows a row of large residences across the street from a tree-filled park. The wide street is occupied by a trolley, early automobile, and a horseback rider., Taylor Catalog Number:

Chestnut Street Theatre
View of the Chestnut Street Theatre at about 1875., The second Chestnut Street Theatre was built upon the north side of Chestnut street, west of Twelfth street, in 1863, and was opened by William Wheatly on January 26th. The leading star of the occasion was Edwin Forrest. Extensive improvements were made in 1875. The structure had a frontage of 66 feet and extended back to Clover street. In the course of its existence as a popular play-house nearly all of the notables of the American stage, in their time, appeared here. The building, which has been unoccupied for some years, was sold, in 1917, by the Cochrane Estate to Abner H. Mershon. The drawing indicates its appearance in the period of the Centennial., Taylor Catalog Number: 101

Clarke Hall
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a series of buildings on the corner of an intersection. Pedestrians are walking on the sidewalks and conversing, and there is a horse-drawn carriage in the intersection in the foreground., This drawing of a pair of once notable buildings has been copied from a sketch by McAllister, dated 1808. The original structures were built by William Clarke, a wealthy attorney, soon after the year 1700. They were, probably, the first residences erected west of Third Street. In 1704 William Penn, Jr., lived in one of them. Subsequent owners were Andrew Hamilton, attorney general of the Province, and Israel Pemberton, who developed gardens in the rear, extending along Dock Creek. During the decade from 1790 the property was occupied by Alexander Hamilton as offices of the United States Treasury. THe Farmers' & Mechanics' Bank was located here in 1809. In the course of time the old double house was subjected to many changes. For a long period, prior to 1840, it was tenanted by a number of artisans and storekeepers. In that year the building was demolished by Messrs. Swain, Abel & Simmons, who had come here, four years before, from New York and founded the Public Ledger. They erected the brick Ledger building on the site, which is now covered by the Merchant & Mariner office building., Taylor Catalog Number: 160

Clinton Street
View of a tree-lined residential street. Two people converse on the sidewalk while a horse and carriage waits nearby. Part of Pennsylvania Hospital can be seen at the end of the street., Taylor Catalog Number: 12

The College of Pharmacy
Reproduction of a drawing that depicts a building with a sign reading "Philadelphia College of Pharmacy." Pedestrians walk by on the sidewalk and automobiles drive on the street in front., This college, founded in 1821 has always served as an important factor in the medical education of the nation. Among its many activities is the publication of the American Journal of Pharmacy. The building here shown, located at 145 North Tenth Street was erected for the college in 1893. The growth of the institution requires more space and convenience and, to that end, ground has been secured at Woodland Avenue and Forty-Third Street where extensive buildings will, in course of time, be erected., Taylor Catalog Number: 283

The College of Physicians
Reproduction of a drawing of a three-story building covered in ivy at an intersection of two streets. There is a streetcar one street and an automobile on the other, and there is a cluster of pedestrians near the door of the building., This venerable building, best remembered as the home of the College of Physicians, at the north-east corner of Locust and Thirteenth Streets has been occupied for some years, as a branch and adminstrative office of the Free Library System, which will remove in the course of the coming year, 1924, to the new central library building under construction upon the Parkway., Taylor Catalog Number: 295