||This sturdy farm house, upon Carpenter's Island, where Eagle Creek winds through the lowland to the Delaware River, is seen
just south of the Penrose ferry road. The stray shot which gave it fame was fired from Fort Mifflin by the heroic garrison
during the blockade of the river by the British fleet in October, 1777. The building was the home of the Bleakly family.
Near the house, upon a knoll now marked by a little family burial ground, a party of grenadiers, under Captain Montressor,
had established, over night, a battery intended to enfilade Fort Mifflin in the rear. The shot sent by American gunners was
a notice to the enemy to vacate the house, which they proceeded to do. Considerable fighting occured here and at another
redoubt placed by the enemy at the Ferry Tavern near by.