||The second Chestnut Street Theatre was built upon the north side of Chestnut street, west of Twelfth street, in 1863, and
was opened by William Wheatly on January 26th. The leading star of the occasion was Edwin Forrest. Extensive improvements
were made in 1875. The structure had a frontage of 66 feet and extended back to Clover street. In the course of its existence
as a popular play-house nearly all of the notables of the American stage, in their time, appeared here. The building, which
has been unoccupied for some years, was sold, in 1917, by the Cochrane Estate to Abner H. Mershon. The drawing indicates
its appearance in the period of the Centennial.