||In 1916, when the photograph from which this drawing has been made was taken, the once famous "model school" building was
still existent upon Darien (formally Chester) street, north of Race street. This was the first public school established,
under the act of 1818, in the city. It was opened in that year as a school of instruction for female teachers. In the interval
between the sale of the "Boys' High School," on Juniper street below Market street, in 1853, and the completion of the new
High School, at the southeast corner of Broad and Green streets, the Chester street building was used for that purpose. When,
in the same year, the Normal School building was erected on Sergeant (now Spring) street, east of Tenth street, the "model
school" was placed in the elementary class. For a long period this forgotten school, now a dingy factory in decadent surroundings,
was a show place among educators. The property was sold by the city in 1878, to Charles S. Caffrey.