© Copyright 2025 - The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. TEL (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
For inquiries, please contact our IT Department
Pages
-
- 130. City Hall, Philadelphia, Pa., Masonic Temple in left foreground [graphic].
- Postcard depicting a view of North Broad Street, Philadelphia showing City Hall built 1871-1901 after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. and the Masonic Temple built 1868-1873 after the designs of James Hamilton Windrim. In the left, shows a partial view of Arch Street Methodist Episcopal Church built 1869 to 1870 after the designs of Addison Hutton. Numerous pedestrians walk along the sidewalks and across the street., Title from item., Date from the publication series number., Series number printed in right corner on recto: 3A-H575., Divided back., Gift of David Doret, 2019., Curt Teich (1877-1974) founded the Curt Teich Company in Chicago in 1898 and began producing linen postcards in the 1930s.
-
- 250th anniversary of the settlement of Germantown : under the auspices of the Germantown historical society, Germantown, Philadelphia, Pa. / Friday, October 20, annual meeting of the Pennsylvania German society ; Saturday, October 21, Germantown's communi
- "The historical text ... is by Edward W. Hocker, librarian of the Germantown historical society.", Gift of David Doret, 2019., Library copy in printed paper wrappers., Library copy has insertion of broadside titled, "The First protest against slavery, Germantown, 1688," compliments of Howard T. Landes, Pastor Germantown Mennonite Church since 1928.
-
- A. Fiot publisher of music, importer of musical merchandize [sic]. Wholesale & retail, No. 196 Chestnut Street Philadelphia. [graphic] : Piano, harps, guitars, violins, flutes, brass instruments, Italian strings. &c. &c. / H. Dacre, del.
- Advertisement containing a whimsical view surrounded by an ornamental border to promote the music store of Augustus Fiot. View shows cherubs playing and surrounded by instruments, including a cello, harp, trumpet, flute, guitar, and organ. Scene also includes sheet music resting on the floor and propped on a stand. The ornamental border includes a vignette, cherubs playing instruments (harp, cymbals, trumpet, flute), vinery, and floral details. Vignette shows a woman at a piano and a boy playing the flute at a recital in front of a small audience. Fiot began to publish music in 1835 with partner Leopold Meignan. The partnership operated until 1839. Fiot continued to operate a music store until 1855., Title from item., Date inferred from the content., Gift of David Doret., Philadelphia on Stone, POSP 1, Copy printed in red ink at Free Library of Philadelphia: Jackson Collection of Early Lithographs - J 60, Digital image of Free Library of Philadelphia copy included in Philadelphia on Stone Digital Catalog.
-
- Agriculture and domestic manufactures [graphic] : Be it known that [blank] of the [blank] of [blank] was on the [blank] day of [blank] 18 [blank] admitted a member of the [blank] Society for promoting Agriculture and Domestic Manufactures and is entitled
- Blank membership certificate containing an allegorical scene bordered by graphic elements representing agriculture and industry. Scene depicts two women allegorical figures, with upswept hair, and in Roman garb, as well as a nude, cherubic figure attired in a cape covering his shoulders and swept over his waist in a a bucolic setting. The central female figure, stands, her right arm bent and with her right hand above her head. She holds a long staff with a flame in in her left hand. To her right is the cherubic figure who holds up a sheaf of wheat in her direction with his left hand. A bundle of wheat lies near his feet. To her left is the other allegorical female figure who is seated in a gazebo. She holds up a swath of cloth in her extended left hand. She holds the other end of it with her right hand as it drapes across her lap. A spindle sits to her left. The top of the gazebo is covered in vinery. In the background are groves of bushes, a bee hive, the peering head of a horned cow, trees, and a small building. Pictorial elements to the right symbolize industry and depict an eagle, crates, a barrel, anchor, and ships sailing on the ocean. Pictorial elements to the left symbolize agriculture and depict a sickle, parts of a plow, a cornucopia, a tree, and bushes. In 1819 the New York legislature appropriated $20,000 over two years for the promotion of agriculture and family domestic manufactures to the county agricultural societies of the state., Signed [E. Gillet], Secrety. and [M. Vling?] Presidt., Title from item., Date inferred from New York 1819 funding initiatives for state agricultural societies., Gift of David Doret., Ralph Rawdon, an engraver, located to Albany, N.Y. in 1816. In 1817 his partnership with engraver Asaph Willard dissolved. He later partnered in the bank note companies Balch, Rawdon & Co. in the 1820s and Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Co. in 1832.
-
- Album of Pennsylvania R. R. scenery [graphic].
- Souvenir viewbook containing twelve captioned views of prominent sites and landmarks of and along the Pennsylvania Railroad in the Mid-Atlantic. Includes "Pennsylvania R. R. Station, Jersey City, Showing Birds eye View of the Hudson River, New York City Etc."; "Pennsylvania R. R. Ferries Plying Between Jersey City & New York"; "New Brunswick N. J. Penna. R. R. Bridge Crossing the Raritan River"; "Broad St. Station Penna. R. R. Co. Philadelphia. Grandest R. R. Depot in America" with inset showing Independence Hall"; "New Public Building, Philadelphia Cor. Broad & Market Streets. Built of Marble & Granite. Grandest Single Structure in the World. Cost Already Over $15,000,000. View at Left, U. S. Mint. View on the Right, Penna. R. R. Depot."; "Views at Bryn Mawr, 10 miles West of Philadelphia: Bryn Mawr Hotel. Bryn Mawr Station. Residences."; "Penn. R.R. Bridge Crossing the Susquehanna River 6 Miles West of Harrisbugh PA"; "Lewiston Narrows"; "Jacks Narrows, From Mapleton"; "Along Jack Narrows"; "The Horse Shoe Curve, Pennsylvania Railroad"; "Near Bolivar on the Conemaugh with inset showing "Scene at Allegrippus"; "In the Pack Saddle, On the Conemaugh/Spruce Creek Tunnel"; "Penna. R. R. Co’s Depot, Pittsburgh Pa."; View of Pittsburgh & Allegheny City Pa. with inset showing "Iron Works South Side." Views also show American's first immigration center Castlegarden (i.e., Castle Clinton, Battery Park, N.Y.), traveling trains, piers, factories, pedestrian and street traffic, and landscapes, including mountains, valleys, and creeks. Some inset images also designed as trompe l'oeil., Publication information from copyright statement., Title from embossed brown morocco binding, front cover stamped: Album of Pennsylvania R. R. Scenery., Prints connected by accordion folds., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Housed in phase box., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Alterations & additions to Messrs. Strawbridge & Clothiers store on 8th & Market Sts. [graphic].
- Architectural drawing for renovations to the Strawbridge & Clothier department store (established 1868) on the 800 block of Market Street. Shows "Elevation on Market St." (building section at corner of Eighth & Market) and details of "Elevation of Cornice on Eighth St."; "Part Elevation of Cornice"; and "Increased Projection of 3 [in.] at Pediments." Details show close-ups of the roof of the building section, including cornices, windows, and pediments. Sections of the drawing are annotated in watercolor or with printed notes indicating dividing partitions between buildings; structural elements; and their spacing. The expanded Strawbridge & Clothier building was completed circa 1897 after the designs of Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton. Builders Stacy Reeves & Sons worked on additions and alterations to the building through the early 1900s. Justus Clayton Strawbridge (1838–1911) and Isaac Hallowell Clothier (1837–1921) founded Strawbridge & CLothier in Philadelphia in 1868., Title from item., Date inferred from manuscript note: This drawing belongs to Stacy Reeves & Sons and was [used?] from them Aug. 26, 1891., Includes: Scale 1/8 [in.] = 1 foot, Includes: Scale for details 3/4 [in.] = 1 foot, Includes printed notes: Equal Space; Bracket over [?]; Dotted lines show outline of large end brackets; Party Line; Center Line; and Large Bracket terminating cornice., Includes annotations in red ink for dimensions of sections of the "Elevation on Market Street" view., Includes pencil annotations: 11-9 Floor Co. joints; B of J., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Ancient chart. [graphic] : copied from the original brought from "Jerusalem" now in the possession of Brother Colonel Wilkins Philadelphia.
- Print depicting ruins and an open grave. In the left, shows a human skull and bones beside an open grave. Tools lie near a square stone, including a shovel, a spade, and a triangle. A snake slithers away. In the right, a man, attired in a robe leans on a broken column. A dog stands among stones and pieces of columns. Plants grow on top of part of the building left standing. In the background, a group of men holding sticks, walks down a path toward the sea. One man, holding a stick, climbs up a hill towards a circular, columned building, possibly a temple. Palm trees grow., Title from image., Date inferred from active dates of the printer., Copyright statement on recto: Entered for the Proprietor according to act of Congress by Brother W.H. Holbrooke, New York., Gift of David Doret, 2011.
-
- [Architectural drawing of the front elevation of Strawbridge & Clothier, 8th and Market Streets, Philadelphia] [graphic].
- Shows the five-story, multi-section front facade of the department store (established in 1868) at the northwest corner of 8th and Market Streets. Sign at the top reads, "Strawbridge & Clothier." The expanded Strawbridge & Clothier building was completed circa 1897 after the designs of Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton. Justus Clayton Strawbridge (1838–1911) and Isaac Hallowell Clothier (1837–1921) founded Strawbridge & CLothier in Philadelphia in 1868., Title supplied by cataloger., Date inferred from manuscript note on related print. See related print **Architectural Drawings - unid. - Strawbridge [P.2010.35.9], Gift of David Doret.
-
- At the direction of [Alice] we have entered your name upon our list for a year’s subscription to Ladies’ Home Journal [graphic] : We trust that the copies we shall have the pleasure of sending will prove to be pleasant reminders of the friend who sends to
- Subscription certificate for the Ladies’ Home Journal containing images of a stained glass work depicting knights (recto) and a medieval royal court scene with white figures (verso). Stained glass illustration shows white men knights, attired in armor and holding a sword and a lance, flanking a shield containing the text of the certificate. Royal court scene after artist John R. Peirce depicts a king, queen, and other guests seated and dining at a long dining table. A woman walks behind the table while carrying a steaming plate of food. In the right, a lutist and a harpist, slouching on a chair, play music near two dogs standing on all fours. In the left, a princess, holding hands with a knight seated behind her, sits on a wooden bench and watches the musicians. In the background is a Christmas tree., Title from item., Date inferred from content., Name of publisher from copyright statement: c. by C.P. Co., Gift of David Doret., Pennsylvania artist John R. Peirce (1900-1970) was a commercial illustrator and also painted landscapes and portraits. He graduated from the Philadelphia School of Industrial Art.
-
- Draught, Dauphin County, Frederick Lubold, 48 acres 56 perches strictmeasure [cartographic material] / Drawn by John Paul, Junr. Monroe Garden, Mifflin Township, Dauphin County, and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Gilbert.
- Manuscript property map with printed illustration showing landowner’s names, land patents, and acreage of properties in Lykens, Pa. Properties listed include: Frederick Lubold, Frederick Harner, Jr., George Hoffman, John Gerger, George Rissinger, George Mayer, and Theodor Gratz. Also contains an illustration engraved by George Gilbert in the top center and depicting a crest with a ship, a plow, and sheaves of wheat. Above the crest is an eagle with outstretched wings and that is flanked by two horses on each side. Illustration also includes a banner reading “Virtue, Liberty, & Independence” that spans the bottom edge of the image., Title and date from item., Manuscript written on recto: Resurveyed and Divided formerly for Frederick Lubold, on the Twentythird Day of November, Anno Domini, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fortythree. The above Described tract of Land, Situate in Lykens Township, in the County of Dauphin, and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: Containing Fortyeight Acres and Fiftysix Perches of Land, Strictmeasures. Which being part of a larger tract of Land. John Paul, Jun’r., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Below Lewistown, Pa. [graphic].
- Lithograph showing a view of a river. On the left is a rocky outcropping covered in foliage. On the right the river curves and disappears into the background while two men push a canoe away from shore., Printed lower left: 2., Title from inscription lower right., Date based on publication date of series: North American Foliage and Trees., First word in title on print in lower case: below., Gift of David Doret., See Nicholas B. Wainwright, "Augustus Kollner, Artist" in Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 84 (1960) 325-351.
-
- Benjamin Franklin [graphic].
- Embossed, bust-length, left-profile portrait of Benjamin Franklin, in white, placed against a black, buckeye leather background., Title from item., Date inferred from duplicate copies and active dates of the publisher., Text printed on recto: Embossed on buckeye cover., Gift of David Doret, 2019., See related invitations to Ferdinand J. Dreer [P.2019.64.7-14].
-
- Birds-eye view of Andersonville Prison from the south-east [graphic].
- Birds-eye view of Andersonville Prison, a Confederate prisoner-of-war-camp in Georgia, with the vast prison area surrounded by stockade fences. In the center are numerous prisoners and their hand-made housing, consisting of various fabrics and mounds of dirt. Guard towers surround the fence and guards, on foot, horseback, and in horse-drawn carts patrol. In the right, men, many of whom use canes or crutches and have amputated legs sit, lie down, or walk in a separate fenced area that has tents. Two cannon emplacements with soldiers are visible in the foreground. Several buildings and a train traveling down the railroad tracks are visible in the background. The prison operated from February 1864 until April 1865. It housed up to 45,000 Union prisoners in overcrowded conditions and had the highest death rate of all the Civil War prisons., Title from item., Date from copyright statement: Copyright, 1890 by J.W. Morton, Jr., Gift of David Doret, 2011.
-
- Bird's eye view of Philadelphia, east from State House steeple.
- Cityscape view looking northeast from State House (520 Chestnut) showing the north side of the 400 block of Chestnut Street before construction began on the Provident Life & Trust Company building (401-411 Chestnut) in 1876. Includes Peoples Bank (433-437 Chestnut, i.e., Girard Building, built ca. 1874); Pennsylvania Company for Insurances on Lives & Granting Annuities (431 Chestnut, built 1871-73, Addison Hutton, architect); Farmers' & Mechanics' Bank (425-429 Chestnut, built 1854-55, John M. Gries, architect); Philadelphia National Bank (419-423 Chestnut, built 1857-59, John M. Gries, architect); and the Philadelphia Trust, Safe Deposit & Insurance Co. (413-417 Chestnut, built 1873-74, James H. Windrim, architect). Also shows surrounding buildings including the steeple of Christ Church (22-34 North Second Street)., Title printed on mount and in manuscript note on verso of P.2010.6.2., Alternate title on negative of P.9168.17: "East from Sixth and Chestnut"., Photographer's imprint on mounts; in black text on P.2010.6.2 and red text on P.9168.17., Explicative paragraph of text providing brief history of the city entitled, "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania," printed on verso of P.2010.6.2. Text surmounted by vignette of state seal of Pennsylvania and surrounded by decorative border., Yellow mounts with rounded corners., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., One of the images gift of David Doret (P.2010.6.2).
-
- The bloomer schottisch. Dedicated to Mrs. Bloomer and the ladies in favor of the Bloomer costume. [graphic] / composed for the piano forte by Wm. Dressler.
- Sheet music cover depicting a white woman attired in bloomers. In the center, the woman stands, wearing her hair parted in the middle and attired in a bonnet, a long-sleeved white shirt, a purple dress with blue tiers, and white bloomers. She holds her hands together and juts her left foot out. Image is surrounded by an ornamental scroll border, labeled "Autumn dress" at the bottom., Title from item., Text printed on recto: 25 cts. Nett., Date from copyright statement: Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1851 by W. Hall & Son in the Clerk's Office of the Disct Court of Southern Dist of N.Y., Library Company copy has front cover only., Gift of David Doret, 2011.
-
- Boehm’s Reformed Church, founded Feb. 3, 1747, Boehm’s manse, the Kirkview, Edgar Vincent Loucks, minister. [graphic].
- Postcard depicting a vignette portrait of the church’s minister Edgar Vincent Loucks between views of Boehm’s Church constructed in 1818 at 571 Penllyn Blue Bell Pike and the parsonage, Kirkview, in Blue Bell, Pa. In the left, shows the front façade of the stone church with stained glass windows and a spire. A wrought iron fence surrounds the building. In the center is a forward-facing portrait of Loucks, attired in spectacles, a white collared shirt, a tie, and a jacket. In the right is the three-story parsonage with a covered porch. The Church was founded by John Philip Boehm in 1740 and a building was erected in 1747 in Blue Bell, Pa. A new building was erected on the foundation of the older building in 1818. Extensive renovations, including the addition of the eighty-foot high spire with bell were completed in 1870., Title from item., Date inferred from content., Series number printed in left corner on verso: 66296., Divided back., Gift of David Doret, 2019.
-
- Bowling Green [graphic] / Lith of Chs. Magnus.
- Street level view of fenced-in park containing trees and large fountain surrounded by streets lined with rowhouses. In the center is a building labeled, Washington. Also includes heavy street with men on horseback, horse-drawn carts, and a horse-drawn omnibus. Men, women, and children pedestrians crowd the sidewalks and streets. Bowling Green Park in lower Manhattan is New York City's oldest park., Gift of David Doret.
-
- [Bunch, the horse, pulling William W. Cutair's West Philadelphia express wagon] [graphic] / G. D. DiFazio Art Studio, 906 So. 8th St. Phila.
- Shows Bunch the horse harnessed to a wagon on a dirt road. A young man, attired in a collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up, suspenders, tie, pants, and boots, is seated in the driver's seat and holds the reins. Three children sit in the vehicle and look at the viewer. Another man, attired in a collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up, suspenders, pants, and boots, stands next to the wagon with his left hand holding the side of the vehicle., Title supplied by cataloger., Date from manuscript note written on verso: Taken Sept. 1908 on 66th St. north of Haverford Av. Bunch (horse) bought Jan. 4, 1907, the day Frances was born., Photographer's imprint stamped in lower right corner., Gift of David Doret.
-
- [Bust-length portrait of Horace Greeley] [graphic].
- Proof of a bust-length portrait of the New York abolitionist, newspaper editor, and politician. Greeley wears a chin beard and is attired in spectacles, a white collared shirt, a black waistcoat with a gold pocket watch chain, and a black jacket., Title supplied by cataloger., Date and publication information supplied from duplicate in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Capitol Washington. [graphic] : Declaration of Independance [sic] at Philadelphia. July 4. 1776. (Thomas Jefferson supposed to be the author.) The fourth of July is the day of national rejoicing, for on that day, the Declaration of Independance [sic] that
- Postcard depicting the view after the circa 1819 Trumbull painting showing members of the Second Continental Congress gathered in the East Room of Independence Hall signing the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. John Adams, Robert Sherman, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin stand before John Hancock, the President of the Continental Congress in the foreground. In the left, the Liberty Bell is depicted ringing and with the inscription, “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.”, Title from item., Date inferred from content., Publisher from copyright statement on recto: Copyrighted No. 8090 Am. Hist. Art Publ. Co. New York City 111 E. 14 Str. St. Louis, Mo. 813 Chestnut Str., Name of distributor printed in lower left on recto: C.L. Traver, 108 S. Broad St., Trenton, N.J., Series no. printed in lower right on recto: Colonial heroes, no. 20., Expository text printed on recto: In the steeple of the state-house was a bell, imported twenty-three years previously from London by the Provincial Assembly of Pennsylvania. A joyous peal from that bell gave notice that the bill had been passed. It was the knell of British domination., Gift of David Doret, 2019.
-
- The Central High School of Philadelphia, the controllers of the public schools of the first school district of Pennsylvania, by authority of the Commonwealth granted April 9th, 1849, have this day conferred the degree of Master of Arts. [graphic].
- Diploma from Central High School of Philadelphia completed to William Stephens for Master of Arts, Feb. 10, 1853 and depicting three vignettes at the top. In the left, shows an allegorical scene with a white woman, attired in a laurel crown, sketching on a pad; an older, white man seated and holding calipers; and three young, white boys looking through a telescope, moving a globe, and sketching or writing on a pad. In the center, shows an exterior view of Central High School at Juniper Street. In the foreground, a white man sits beneath a tree and sketches a statue of Liberty holding a cap and pole. A paint palette and brushes are beside him. Pedestrians walk on the sidewalk in front of the school. In the right, depicts the coat of arms of Pennsylvania with two horses flanking a crest and an eagle at the top. Central High School was founded in 1836. In 1838, the school building opened at Juniper below Market Street., Title and date from item., Text written on recto: Upon [William Stephens] a graduate of the class of [July 1845] of the Central High School of Philadelphia in consideration of his maintaining an unblemished reputation and of his continued devotion to liberal pursuits since the time of his graduation. In testimony whereof this Diploma has been granted duly by the corporate seal of the Controllers and by the signatures of the President and other officers of the Board and of the Principal and Professors of the School Date Philadelphia [Feb 10th] 18[53]., Signed and witnessed by several individuals, including: D.S Beideman, President; N. Nathans, T.G. Hollingsworth, Harlan Ingram, T.K. Collins, Committee of Controllers; R.J. Hemphill, Secretary; John S. Hart, LLD, Principal; and thirteen professors., Accompanied by a ribbon embossed with the seal of the Controllers of the Public Schools of the First School District [of Philadelphia]., Gift of David Doret.
-
- [Christina Livingston Macomb] [graphic] / St. Memin, No. 27 Pine St., N. York.
- Photographic reproduction of the 1797 portrait engraving made by St. Memin of Christina Livingston Macomb. Bust-length, left profile portrait of Macomb wearing her curly hair up with a headband and attired in a dress with a ruffled collar. Christina Livingston Macomb was the daughter of Philip P. and Sarah Johnson Livingston of New York. She married merchant John Navarre Maccomb (1774-1810) in 1797., Title from manuscript note written under image: Identified. Mrs. John Navane Maccomb [sic]., Date inferred from photographic medium., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Church, Broad & Arch Sts., Phila. (Methodist) New Masonic Temple in the background.
- View looking southeast at the Methodist Episcopal church constructed 1869-70 after designs by Addison Hutton. Shows the west front of the adjacent Masonic Temple built 1868-1873 after the designs of James H. Windrim, a coach parked in the right foreground, and the liquor store operated by Charles P. Collins at the northeast corner of Broad and Arch Streets., Title from two different manuscript notes on verso., Photographer's imprint stamped on verso., Yellow mount with rounded corners., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Gift of David Doret.
-
- City Hall, Philadelphia, Pa. [graphic].
- Postcard depicting exterior view of City Hall constructed 1871 to 1901 after designs by John McArthur Jr. at 1 Penn Square, Philadelphia. Pedestrians walk on the sidewalk in front of the building., Title from item., Date inferred from content., Gift of David Doret, 2019.
-
- [Collection of engraved printing plates] [graphic].
- Collection of printing plates, including several with a Philadelphia provenance and a number with engraved marks on the recto and verso. Designs include calling cards, scientific illustrations, border specimens, and the frontispiece in "Count Roderic's Castle, or, Gothic Times" (Philadelphia, 1795) illustrated with a swordfighting scene. Engraved marks depict birds, floral imagery, filigree, mathematical and anatomical diagrams, and geometric details. One plate also used as a trial plate and contains a montage of details, including a shield, sickle, female allegorical figure, a female figure leaning on a horse and with a basket at her feet, the monogram “CPH,” and strings of letters. Collection also includes two envelopes with inscriptions about their content and two type blocks containing marks depicting monograms. One type design also includes a woodpecker., Names on calling cards include Jabez Maud Fisher; Mr. J. F. Fisher; The Misses Fisher, Alverthorpe; Mr. George Harrison; William Bradford, 319 S. Fifteenth St., and Mr. Harrison., Engravers include John Vallance, E. Trenchard, and Dreka., Plate makers include J. B. Keim., Gift of David Doret., Housed in a phase box., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Louis Dreka was first listed as an engraver in Philadelphia city directories in 1863.
-
- [Country place of worship] [graphic] / Drawn & lithd. at Kollners Lithy. Philada.
- Genre scene from a children's moral instruction book showing a man, children, and horses at leisure outside of a small church building within a grove of trees. In the right foreground, an African American man lies against a log, arms crossed, head down, and dozes near three, saddled horses bridled to a tree. Behind him, two white boys sit in the grass beside a dog and look over a book. In the right background, two, saddled horses are bridled to a tree near two white boys and a girl in conversation. In the left background, three, saddled horses are bridled within a cluster of trees. Scene also includes a small turtle passing the horses in the foreground. One appears to watch it. A white man stands near the church in the center background. Pastureland is visible in the distant, right background. All the male figures are attired in hats, jackets, and pants. The girl wears a bonnet and dress., Title from manuscript note on recto., Date from date of publication in which print is included., Published in Common sights on land and water (Philadelphia: American Sunday-School Union, 1852)., Gift of David Doret., Description revised 2022., Access points revised 2022.
-
- Custom House, Phila.
- Rooftop view looking east showing the government building at 420 Chestnut Street. Originally built as the Second Bank of the United States 1819-1824 after the designs of Philadelphia architect William Strickland, the building served as the U.S. Custom House from 1845 to 1935. Also includes the Philadelphia Bank Building built 1836 after designs by William Strickland at 400-408 Chestnut Street. Several individuals sit and stand on the steps of the customhouse., Title written in manuscript note on verso., Photographer's imprint on label pasted on verso., Yellow mount with rounded corners., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Gift of David Doret., Robert Newell's son Henry entered the business in 1872 and the name changed to "R. Newell & Son".
-
- [Deeds of sale for Samuel Carpenter and Samuel Rhoads] [graphic].
- Title supplied by cataloger., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Deutsche Ev: Luth: Zions Kirche. (gegrundt 1766.) = The German Lutheran Zion Church. (founded 1766.)
- View of the Zion Lutheran Church, also known as the New Lutheran Church, rebuilt 1794-1796 at Cherry and North Fourth streets following a fire in 1794. Church originally built 1766-1769 after the designs of Robert Smith. Also shows a partial view of neighboring buildings and pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians include a boy, and women carrying parasols and baskets., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 181, Gift of David Doret.
-
- Distinguished Americans, at a meeting of the New York Historical Society [graphic] : To whom this plate is by permission respectfully dedicated by Doney & Gollmann Designed and drawn from life by J. Gollmann; Engraved by T. Doney.
- Group portrait of forty nine Americans gathered together at a meeting of the New York Historical Society in the University Chapel. Seen in the foreground, from left to right, are: George W. Bethune, Zadock Pratt, Francis L. Hawks, John E. Wool, Horatio Seymour, John W. Francis, Hamilton Fish, Winfield Scott, Jonathan M Wainwright, Daniel Webster, Samuel Jones, Franklin Pierce, William C. Bryant, Henry Clay, Edward Everett, Fred de Peyster, Luther Bradish, Martin Van Buren, George Bancroft, John Van Buren, William L. Marcy, and Lewis Cass. Another twenty seven men are seen in the background, including: Millard Fillmore, William H. Seward, John C. Calhoun and Valentine Mott. Each man wears a dark suit with a light shirt and tie. The men face in all directions; some look out toward the viewer and others turn to the side with no interaction among each other. Sitters portraits after painted portraits provided to the artist., Entered according to Act of Congress in the Year 1854 by Doney & Gollmann in the Clerk’s Office of the District Court for the Southern District of New York., Gift of David Doret., LCP copy variant from copies at Library of Congress and American Antiquarian Society. Imprint varies and image does not include sitter Archbishop John Hughes., See David McNeely Stauffer, American engravers upon copper and steel, Vol. 1 (New York, 1907), 66., A key and description of the plate is included in the New York Historical Society Quarterly 38, 1954 , 458-459. Copy included with print. Description references Hughes missing from key, but not the image., Thomas Doney came to Canada from France, worked in Illinois and Ohio, and finally established himself in New York in 1845.
-
- Dr. Alex C. Hart [graphic] / Husted.
- Half-length portrait of Alexander C. Hart. Hart, wearing a beard and his hair parted to the right and attired in a white collared shirt, tie, and jacket, looks right. Alexander Chambers Hart (1811-1884) was a physician and surgeon. He helped found the Charity Hospital of Philadelphia and served during the Civil War., Title from manuscript note on recto., Date inferred from dates of operation of the photographer and attire of the sitter., Photographer's imprint on recto: Husted, Philadelphia., Photographer's imprint on verso: Husted, Ridge Ave. and Wallace St., Philadelphia., Gift of David Doret, 2017., Joseph Husted was listed in the Philadelphia directory as a photographer beginning in 1863. His brother William and sister Anne were listed in the Philadelphia directory as photographers beginning in 1880.
-
- [Edward William Laight] [graphic] / St. Memin, No. 27 Pine St., N. York.
- Photographic reproduction of the 1797 portrait engraving made by St. Memin of Edward William Laight. Bust-length, left profile portrait of Laight wearing his hair tied back in a bow and attired in a neckerchief and jacket. Edward William Laight graduated from Columbia University and studied law in the office of Aaron Burr. He served as a Major General in the New York militia and was president of the Eagle Fire Insurance Company., Title supplied by cataloger based on entry in Mile. St. Memin. (Washington, D.C.: National Portrait Gallery, 1994)., Date inferred from photographic medium., Gift of David Doret.
-
- [Edwin McMasters Stanton] [graphic].
- Half-length portrait of Edward Stanton, wearing a beard and attired in spectacles, a white collared shirt, waistcoat, and jacket. Stanton served as Secretary of War between 1862 and 1868., Title supplied by cataloger., Date from copyright statement: Entered according to act of Congress A.D. 1863 by M.B. Brady in the clerk's office of the District Court of the U.S. for the So. District of New York., Text on verso reads in part: From photographic negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery., Manuscript text on verso reads: Stanton., Gift of David Doret.
-
- Tredegar. Residence of C.W. Morgan, esqr. Germantown. Sidney & Neff, archts. : Frame. Cost $3,000 [graphic] / Sidney & Neff, 80, Walnut St. Philada.
- Exterior view showing the two-story residence with an extension, gable roof, covered porch, and steps to the entrance as well as surrounding grounds. A pathway leads to the house. Trees line the fenced property which is also landscaped with a few plants and shrubs. In the right, a shed between two trees and near the edge of a pond is visible C.W. Morgan is possibly the Charles W. Morgan listed in the 1850 census as a resident of Germantown and an oil merchant in the fuel and ice retailing industry., Title and date from item., Printed in upper right corner: Plate 11., Probably published in J.C. Sidney's American cottage and villa architecture : a series of views and plans ... (New York: Appleton & Co., 1850). The book was to be issued in ten parts, monthly, beginning in July, 1850. The series was never completed and 4-5 parts containing a total of 22 plates by various Northeastern architects are known., Philadelphia on Stone, POSP 298
-
- [Eighty-fourth] Regiment of the militia, of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in the [second] brigade, Of the first division, compound of the militia of the city and county of Philadelphia:... [graphic].
- Membership certificate appointing Dr. Alexander C. Hart as a surgeon in the 84th regiment of the Pennsylvania militia in 1842. Alexander Chambers Hart (1811-1884) was a physician and surgeon. He helped found the Charity Hospital of Philadelphia and served during the Civil War., Title and date from item., Text printed on recto: To have and to hold this commission, exercising all the powers and discharging all the duties thereunto lawfully belonging and attached, until the third day of August, one thousand eight hundred and forty-nine, if you shall so long behave your sold well, and perform the duties required by law [unless sooner removed by the commanding officer of said regiment] In testimony whereof, I have set my hand, and caused the less seal of the state to be affixed to these presents, at Harrisburg, dated agreeably to law, the [third] day of [August] in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and forty [two] and of the commonwealth, the sixty [seventh] By the Governor: [Chas. McClure] Secretary of the Commonwealth., Gift of David Doret, 2017.
-
- Elevation of the eastern front of the Capitol of the United States [graphic] / drawn by Wm. A. Pratt, Rural Architt. & Surveyor; lithographed by Chas. Fenderich, Washn. City.
- Exterior view of the east front of the U.S. Capitol building with landscaped lawn in the foreground. Shows the neoclassical-style building with decorative columns and a pediment with sculptures. Two American flags fly atop the building on flagpoles. People walk on the staircase leading to the entrance. In the foreground is a manicured lawn with walkways lined with trees. Men, women, children, and several dogs walk the grounds., Title from item., Date from copyright statement: Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1839 by William Fischer, in the Clerk's office of the District Court of the Eastern Distt. of Pa., Attributed to P.S. Duval based on similar print in the collection of the Library of Congress., Gift of David Doret., Lib. Company. Annual Report, 2009, p. 51-2.
-
- Elisabeth Grace and Rachel Martin (South Carolina) : Elisabeth Grace (Caroline Du Sud) [graphic] / Composed and drawn by Darley; lithographed by Régnier.
- Genre print illustrating an account from Elizabeth F. Ellet's 1848 book that honored the Revolutionary wartime experiences of 150 women. Depicts the tale of southern sister-in-laws Elizabeth Grace and Rachel Martin and their successful interception of a British dispatch while disguised in their husband's clothing. On a rugged dirt path, the Martin women hold pistols and the reigns of two of the three agitated horses that carry the soldiers and the plain-clothed messenger. The messenger clutches the dispatch to his chest and the soldiers look in disdain and surprise. Also contains several lines of text in English and French below the image explicating the scene as well as citing the source "(Mrs. Ellet, the Women of American Revolution, vol. 1. P. 274.)"., Title from item., Date from copyright statement: Entered according to act of Congress in the year 1853 by M. Knoedler, in the clerk's office of the district court of the United States for the souther district of New York., Printed above the image: Annals of the United States illustrated. The Women of the Revolution. Pl. 1., Gift of David Doret.
-
- [Emma Louisa Gutekunst as the "Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe"] [graphic] / F. Gutekunst, Philadelphia.
- Full-length portrait of Emma Louisa Gutekunst depicted as the Mother Goose character, the old woman who lived in a shoe. She wears her hair in bangs and is attired in a long-sleeved dress with a white collar and cuffs. She stands inside an oversized shoe and holds a doll in her right hand. A variety of different sized dolls are all over the shoe and also on the floor, including two African American dolls., Title supplied by cataloger., Date inferred from active dates of the photographer at the address and depicted age of the sitter., Photographer's imprint on verso: F. Gutekunst, 712 Arch St., Philadelphia., Manuscript note written on verso: F. Gutekunst's daughter as the "Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe" (photo he gave me, together with childhood picture of Adelina Patti)., Gift of David Doret, 2017.
-
- [Engineer drawings published in the Water Supply of the City of Philadelphia by a Proposed Aqueduct from the Norristown Dam and the Acquisitions of the Works of the Schuylkill Navigation Company, 1891] [graphic].
- Collection of thirteen drawings and one blueprint showing the proposed route by the Schuylkill Navigation Company (E. F. Smith, C.E.) for an aqueduct running from the Norristown Dam to the Schuylkill River. Drawings include: "1. Map of the Drainage Area of the Schuylkill River Showing the Location of Pools and Canals of the Schuylkill Navigation" depicting mountains, creeks, drainage areas, canals, and dams between Broad Mountain and Philadelphia; "3. Profile and Details of the Proposed Aqueduct to Convey the Water of the Schuylkill River from the Norristown Dam to the Pumping Station of the City of Philadelphia" showing cross-sections of creek crossings, conduits, tunnel grades, shaft locations, and “Section through Centre of Arch River Crossing”; "4. Plan Elevation and Section of Schuylkill River Bridge Near Belmont and other Crossings on line of Proposed Aqueduct from Norristown Dam to the Pumping Stations of the City of Philadelphia" showing the bridge elevation, cross-sections of the bridge (e.g. “Buckle Plate Floor and Asphalt Pavement”), map of the area near the Schuylkill River, East Park Reservoir, Thirty-third , Diamond, and Oxford Streets, and “Culvert of Ravine at Edgley, East Park; "Plans and Elevations of Inlet and Gate Houses on the Line of a Proposed Aqueduct for the Water Supply of the City of Philadelphia" showing ground plans and gate house sections and not the elevations” by Furness, Evans & Co., Architects”; "Map of the Valley of Tumbling Run Showing the Lands of the Schuylkill Navigation Co. with the Existing and Proposed Reservoirs Therein and its Drainage Area" showing the area between the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, Sharp Mountain (East Norwegian Township), Second Mountain (Manheim Township), and containing notes about right of way, existing and proposed reservoirs, distances and widths;, "I. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Tumbling Run to head of Lord’s Dam No. 14" showing landforms, Schuylkill River, the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroad, dams and towns along the river, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "II. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation, from Head of Lords Dam No. 14 to Red Hill Shoemakersville" showing Schuylkill and Berks Counties, Blue Mountains, Schuylkill River and dams along it, Stony Creek and Lands, insets of sites along the river, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "III. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Red Hill Shoemakersville to Felix’s Dam No. 19" showing the Schuylkill River, Berks County, dams, creeks, the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "IV. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Felix’s Dam No. 19 to Big Reading Dam No. 24" showing the Schuylkill River and dams along it, the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, Berks County, Reading, Neversink, Flying Hill, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "V. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from the Big Reading Dam No. 24 to Sixpenny Creek" showing the Schuylkill River, Berks County, Wilmington and Pennsylvania Northern Railroad, Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, Birdsboro, Monocacy, Girard Canal, creeks, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "VI. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Sixpenny Creek to Fricks Locks" showing Berks, Montgomery and Chester Counties, Monocacy, the Schuylkill River, Pottstown, Pennsylvania Railroad, Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, creeks, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers;, "VII. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Fricks Locks to Mouth of Perkiomen" showing Montgomery and Chester Counties, the Schuylkill River and dams along it, Girard Canal, Black Rock Hills, Phoenixville, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; "VIII. Plan of Property and Works of the Schuylkill Navigation from Mouth of Perkiomen to Norristown" showing Chester and Montgomery Counties, Schuylkill River and dams along it, Philadelphia and Reading Railroad, Chester Valley Railroad, Valley Hills, Barbadoes Island, Norristown, Bridgeport, and notes about property lines, right of way, and schedule numbers; and an untitled, unattributed, and undated drawing showing dam capacities (Black Rock, Pawlings, Catfish, Norristown) water depths, and nineteen points (towns, creek mouths, inlets, furnaces, gate houses, pumping stations) between Black Rock Dam and Fairmount. The aqueduct was to facilitate an improvement to the quality of drinking water for the city. The supply was becoming increasingly polluted through the manufacturing districts surrounding the Fairmount Park pumping stations and the nearby Schuylkill Valley. The project was under the direction of E. F. Smith, engineer and superintendent of the Schuylkill Navigation Co. which was originally chartered in 1815 to make the Schuylkill River navigable., Title supplied by cataloger., Drawings dated by artist May 1891., Majority of drawings numbered in upper right corner with a Roman numeral or Arabic number: 0-1; 3-4; I-VIII., Majority of drawings signed in lower left corner: Emil L. Nuebling, Del., Plan Elevation and Section of Schuylkill River Bridge Near Belmont and other Crossings on line of Proposed Aqueduct from Norristown Dam to the Pumping Stations of the City of Philadelphia (P.2008.12) signed lower left corner: W. S. Davis, Del., Drawings include horizontal and/or vertical scales., Many of the drawings include “Schedule Numbers.”, Some of the drawings include compasses., Some of the drawings vary from their published versions including 1. Map of the Drainage Area ... which does not include a “Table” (P.2008.13.10) and Plans and Elevations of Inlet and Gate Houses ... which does not include “Elevation” views., Manuscript note on verso of P.2008.13.10: Map of the Drainage Area of the Schuylkill River. Showing locations of Pools and Canals., Stamped on verso of P.2008.13.10: Case 4; Box I-5; No. 6238., Gift of David Doret., Emil L. Nuebling, a Reading, Pa. native and civil engineer, trained in Reading and Newark, N.J. before receiving by 1891 an appointment under E. F. Smith of the Schuylkill Navigation Co. He also worked for the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad before becoming engineer and superintendent of the Reading Water Works in 1895. He worked as Reading's water engineer through the early 20th century.
-
- Ercildowne, Wissinoming. Philadelphia. [graphic]
- View showing the estate of the Philadelphia industrialist, Matthias W. Baldwin, located at Comly and State roads in the Wissinoming section of Philadelphia. Trees surround a three story Italianate-style residence with an open verandah extending along the entire front facade. The estate was originally built as a country residence for Baldwinin the 1850s. After his death, the building served as a mental hospital and later as a residential institution for elderly women. The building was destroyed in a 1954 fire., Gift of David Doret., Philadelphia on Stone, POS 874
