Back to top

Bingham House Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View looking east from Eleventh Street showing the hotel at 1026-1044 Market Street. The hotel, established in 1867 on the former site of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Depot, was named after freight and express agent John Bingham. Building remodeled and expanded in 1890 and demolished in 1926. Also shows a horse-drawn carriage and partial views of adjacent storefronts and a freight car in the street, Photographer's imprint embossed on mount., Title from manuscript note on mount., Yellow paper mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Broad Street Presbyterian Church, Broad Street below Spruce Street, Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith.
Exterior view showing the third building of the First Reformed Presbyterian Church (i.e. Wylie Memorial Church) erected in 1854 on the 300 block of Broad Street after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. Includes partial view of adjacent building. Congregation organized in 1798. Church renamed in the early 1890s for long-term pastors T.W.J. Wylie and Samuel Wylie., Photographers' imprint embossed on mount., Title from manuscript note on mount: Broad St. Pres. Church Broad St. bel. Spruce Philada., Yellow paper mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Carpenters' Hall, rear of 322 Chestnut Street. [graphic].
View of front facade of hall from Carpenter's Court built 1770-1774 by the builders association, Carpenters' Company of the City and County of Philadelphia, after designs by member Robert Smith. Shows a man attired in a suit, top hat, and cane standing in front of the building. The Carpenter's Company, organized 1724, was formed to provide instruction in the science of architecture and financial assistance to members and members' families in need., Title and brief history of the hall from photographer's printed label accompanying print., Yellow paper mount with square corners., HSP copy bears photographer's imprint: Photographed by Bartlett & Smith., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited.

Chestnut St. Bridge, Philada. [graphic].
Views showing the iron arch bridge built over the Schuylkill River between 1861-1866 after the designs of Strickland Kneass. Also shows a sailing ship with her masts down, a pier loaded with lumber, a reinforced ditch filled with water, and cityscape in the background. The bridge, partially funded and utilized by the Chestnut and Walnut Streets Passenger Railway Company, was demolished in 1958., Stereograph on yellow mount with square corners., Title from manuscript note on on mount., One of images originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Continental Hotel Philada. [graphic].
View looking east from above Ninth Street showing the luxury hotel at the southeast corner of Ninth and Chestnut streets (824-838 Chestnut). Completed in 1860 after the designs of John McArthur Jr., the hotel contained several businesses in its lower level including "Charles Oakford & Son" hat shop. View also shows adjacent businesses including publishers and booksellers Porter & Coates operating from the former building of J.E. Caldwell & Co. built 1858 after the designs of McArthur. (822 Chestnut); John Wanamaker & Co., luxury clothing store, established 1869 (818 Chestnut); James S. Earle, looking glasses and picture frame manufactory (816 Chestnut), and John W. Scott, shirt manufactory (814 Chestnut). Includes horse-drawn wagons travelling the street and a partial view of the north side of the block., Title from manuscript note on mount., Yellow mount with square corners., Attributed to Bartlett & Smith., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Custom House Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
Exterior view showing the United States Custom House at 420 Chestnut Street, formerly the Second Bank of the United States (1816-1836), built in 1824 after the designs of Philadelphia architect William Strickland. U.S. Custom House occupied the site from 1845 to 1935. Includes pedestrian traffic and a partial view of a street vendor's stand near a gate., Title from manuscript note on mount., Photographer's imprint embossed on mount., Yellow mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Eleventh St. Opera House Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View from Girard Street (i.e., Ludlow Street) looking east at the front facade of the theater at the southeast corner of Eleventh and Marble Streets (i.e., Ludlow Street). The front facade of St. Stephen's Protestant Episcopal Church (19 South Tenth Street) is partially visible in the left background and the corner dwelling at the southwest corner of Eleventh and Girard Streets is visible in the foreground. A horse stands unhitched on the side of the road. The opera house opened as "The Lyceum" by H.S. Cartee in 1854 in the building constructed for the First Reformed Presbyterian Church in 1818 and altered to a theater ca. 1854. Cotton & Dixey succeeded Cartee after one season and called the theater the "Eleventh Street Opera House." Ownership changed again the following season in 1856 to Samuel S. Sanford, who renamed it the "New American Opera House" and remained for several years until the theater was leased to Carncross & Dixey, who managed it at the time of this photograph. Theater building demolished ca. 1911., Title from pencil inscription note on mount., Photographer's imprint from embossed stamp on recto., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[First National Bank] [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View of the First National Bank building located at 315 Chestnut Street, designed by Philadelphia architect John McArthur, built 1865-67. Shows Chestnut Street between 3rd and 4th, north side, looking east. Includes the printing offices of Stein & Jones lithographers at 321 Chestnut., Photographer's imprint stamped on recto., Yellow mount with square corners., Manuscript note on mount: First National Bank., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Girard's Bank, Third Street at Dock Street, Philadelphia] [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View of the Girard's Bank at 116-120 S. 3rd Street. Designed by amateur architect Samuel Blodget as the First Bank of the United States, built 1795-97, and sold to Stephen Girard in 1812. View shows the west side of Third Street at Dock looking north, and includes the offices of the National Travellers Insurance Company., Photographer's imprint stamped on recto., Yellow mount with square corners., Manuscript note on mount: Girard Bank Philada., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

The Jayne Building, 7th & Chestnut Sts. Philada. [graphic]
View looking west showing the north side of the 600 block of Chestnut Street depicting two office buildings constructed for patent medicine manufacturer Dr. David Jayne. Image includes Jayne's Marble Building (615-619 Chestnut Street), constructed 1860 and tenanted by Atwood, Ralston & Co.; Yard, Gilmore & Co., silk goods; Furness, Brinley & Co.; and M.L. Hallowell & Co.; and Jayne's Hall (625-631 Chestnut), constructed 1856., Title from manuscript note on mount of stereograph., Stereograph on yellow mount with square corners., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

The Jayne Building, 7th & Chestnut Sts. Philada. [graphic]
View looking east showing the north side of the 600 block of Chestnut Street depicting Jayne's Marble Building (615-619 Chestnut), an office buildings constructed in 1860 for patent medicine manufacturer Dr. David Jayne and tenanted by Atwood, Ralston & Co.; Yard, Gilmore & Co., silk goods; Furness, Brinley & Co.; and M.L. Hallowell & Co.. Also includes adjoining businesses to the east., Yellow paper mount., Title from pencil inscription on mount., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[The Jayne Building, 7th & Chestnut Sts. Philada.] [graphic]
View looking east showing the north side of the 600 block of Chestnut Street depicting Jayne's Marble Building (615-619 Chestnut), an office buildings constructed in 1860 for patent medicine manufacturer Dr. David Jayne and tenanted by Atwood, Ralston & Co.; Yard, Gilmore & Co., silk goods; Furness, Brinley & Co.; and M.L. Hallowell & Co.. Also includes adjoining businesses to the east and street railroad tracks., Pale yellow paper mount., Title from duplicate (8)1322.F.25b., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

La Pierre House Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View from above Chestnut Street showing the hotel at Broad and Sansom streets opened by George W. and J.G. Edwards in 1853. The hotel built after the designs of John McArthur, Jr. was expanded and renamed the Lafayette Hotel in 1876. View also depicts adjacent buildings, including the Academy of Natural Sciences and the Union League; parked horse-drawn carriages; and broadsides pasted on a brick wall., Title from manuscript note on mount., Photographer's imprint embossed on mount., Yellow mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Post Office. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, Photographers.
View of the U.S. Post Office and U.S. Courts building at the southwest corner of Chestnut and 5th Streets. Opened February 23, 1863, the building was used as a post office until 1884. View also shows commercial buildings on the south side of Chestnut., Photographer's imprint stamped on recto., Yellow mount with square corners., Manuscript note on mount: Post Office. Chestnut St. above 4th Street., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

State House and Independence Hall. [graphic].
Rooftop view looking southwest showing the State House at 520 Chestnut Street built 1732-1748 after the designs of Andrew Hamilton and Edmund Woolley. Also shows the old City Hall built 1790-1791 after the designs of David Evans, Jr. adorned with lettering reading "Mayors Office" (500 Chestnut) and a partial view of Congress Hall built 1787-1789 (540-558 Chestnut). Includes minor pedestrian traffic and a partial view of a horse-drawn carriage., Title from manuscript note on mount., Photographer's imprint embossed on mount., Yellow paper mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

State House and Independence Hall, Phila. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
Rooftop view looking southwest showing the State House at 520 Chestnut Street built 1732-1748 after the designs of Andrew Hamilton and Edmund Woolley. Also shows the old City Hall built 1790-1791 after the designs of David Evans, Jr. adorned with lettering reading "Mayors Office" (500 Chestnut) and a partial view of Congress Hall built 1787-1789 (540-558 Chestnut). View includes pedestrian traffic., Title from accompanying label., Photographer's imprint partially embossed on mount., Yellow paper mount with square corners., Paper backing pasted on verso., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Union League, Broad St. below Chestnut, south side. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View from southeast of brick and brownstone building constructed 1864-1865 based on designs by Philadelphia architect John Fraser. View includes street lamp and fire hydrant. Union League established to raise funds and recruits for the Union cause., Title from manuscript note on recto., Photographer's imprint from embossed stamp on recto., Pale green mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of McAllister scrapbooks of views relating to Philadelphia., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

Union League north side Philada. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View from northeast of brick and brownstone building constructed 1864-1865 based on designs by Philadelphia architect John Fraser. View includes streetlights. Union League established to raise funds and recruits for the Union cause., Title from manuscript on recto., Photographer's imprint from embossed stamp on recto., Yellow mount with square corners., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of McAllister scrapbook of views relating to Philadelphia., Cataloging funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

View on the Wissahickon above toll house. [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View showing a stretch of Lincoln Drive including Maple Spring Hotel, the roadhouse and picnic resort established around 1865. The hotel was known for proprietor Joseph Smith's prominently displayed hand-carved curios created from laurel root that he gathered along the Wissahickon Creek. The hotel fell into ruin following the loss of its liquor privileges and was razed in the late 19th century. A horse-drawn carriage travels down the wooded road., Title from accompanying label., Photographer's imprint embossed on accompanying label., Trimmed orange mount with square corners., Paper backing pasted on verso., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook of views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.

[Wissahickon Creek near Wissahickon Hall, Philadelphia] [graphic] / Bartlett & Smith, photographers.
View showing Wissahickon Creek near the Wissahickon Hall erected circa 1849 by Harry Lippen at Wissahickon Drive (i.e., Lincoln Drive) below Gypsy Lane. Hotel only partially visible., Title supplied by cataloguer., Photographer's imprint embossed on mount., Yellow mount with square corners., Paper backing pasted on verso., Retrospective conversion record: original entry, edited., Originally part of a McAllister scrapbook views of Philadelphia., Digitization funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities (PW-506-19-10), 2010-2012.