Back to top

Pages


A. McCoy's House Village Green
Signed on the lower right corner, "W.F. Vache 71." On the back is an inscription, "A. McCoy's House Village [Green?], W.F. Vache 1871."

Abraham Lincoln
The piece is signed in the weaving: "S. Chevre 1861" and "Isaac Dreyfus Sons Basle." It consists of a portrait of Lincoln in an oval frame of flowers. At the top of the Oval is a shield with an eagle bearing a banner in its beak that says Union For Ever.


Adonis
Bequest of Dr. James Rush, 1869., Exhibited in the Library Company's exhibition, Fine Feathered Friends (1994).

Air Pump Case
John Penn sent the Library Company an air pump in 1738, and this case was built to house it. It is the earliest surviving piece of American architectural furniture in the Palladian style., Ordered by Benjamin Franklin and Hugh Roberts about May 15, 1738 to house the air pump given by John Penn. Delivered in 1739 to the home of William Parsons., Exhibited in: Library Company's exhibition, Quarter of a Millennium (1981).

Anti-slavery Token
Reads, "Am I Not A Woman & A Sister 1838." The back reads, "United States of America." Picture of a wreath with "Liberty 1838" within it., These tokens were sold at antislavery fairs organized by abolitionist women to raise money for the cause. In this example, to avoid charges of counterfeiting, the N in United States is reversed., Gift of Chris McCauley, 1996., Exhibited in the Heritage Center at the Union League of Philadelphia exhibition, Philadelphia 1861: The Coming Storm (2011).

Apollo
Bequest of Dr. James Rush, 1869.

Badges for the 1883 German American Bicentennial
Three badges for the Bi-Centennial Parade, 1683-1883. 1. Deutsch Amerikanischer Verein (blue and gold). 2. German American Bi-Centennial Executive Committee (red and gold). 3. German American Bi-Centennial Parade (blue and gold)., Gift of Don Yoder and William Woys Weaver, (Roughwood Collection), 2000., Exhibited in Good Bye Bayern- Grüb Gott America at the Center for Bavarian History, Augsburg Museum “Alte Schranne” in Nördlingen (Bavaria) (2004).

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Commemorative Medal
Inscription reads, “The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company 1827-1927; Peter Cooper’s Tom Thumb.”, A card accompanying the medal reads, “This medal is issued on the one hundredth birthday of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company to commemorate not merely the important milestone in its own history but the rounding out of a century of a definite American Railroad achievement. The Baltimore and Ohio was the first American railroad to operate its line for the public handling of passengers and freight. This was early in 1830. In all the one hundred years of its life it has changed neither its corporate name, its charter nor its fundamental organization. The obverse of the medal depicts one of the most modern trains of the Baltimore and Ohio—The Capital Limited or The National Limited—drawn by one of the largest and most modern passenger locomotives built. The spirit of Transportation guides the locomotive on its onward flight. The reverse shows the Tom Thumb, designed by Alderman Peter Cooper of New York and the first steam locomotive to be built in the United States even though it was never put into practical service. Mr. Hans Schuler, director of the Maryland Institute in Baltimore, is the sculptor who designed the medal and it was reproduced direct from his models by the Medallic Art Company of New York City.”, Gift of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, 1927.


Batac near Cairo
Bequest of Dr. James Rush, 1869.

Benjamin Franklin
Larger-than-life statue of Franklin originally placed in a niche over the entrance to Library Hall at Fifth Street in 1792., Universal Asylum and Columbian Magazine, April 11, 1792, p. 284: "The statue of Dr. Franklin was last Saturday fixed in its niche over the front door of the new library in fifth-street----Francois Lazzarini is the sculptor, and Carrara the name of the place where it was executed. If the intrinsic merit of this master-piece of art did not speak its value, the name of the artist, where he is known, would evince it. Here perhaps price may give the best idea of its worth. We have heard that it cost above 500 guineas.----The statue of Dr. Franklin is a full length figure, erect, clad with a Roman toga--the position easy and graceful--in the right hand is a scepter reversed, the elbow resting on books placed on a pedestal--the left hand, a little extended, holds a scroll. This elegant piece of sculpture is executed in the finest white marble, and is the donation of William Bingham esq. of this city, to the library-company.", Several newspapers reported the arrival of the statue. See Object file for the list., Gift of William Bingham, 1792., LCP Minutes vol. 3, various entries from Aug. 6, 1789-May 3, 1792. See Object file for transcriptions.

Benjamin Franklin
In the late spring of 1777, Caffieri completed a terra cotta bust of Franklin from life. It was said to be the best likeness of Franklin. Thereafter, the sculptor made a number of casts., LCP Minutes vol. 4, Jan. 17, 1805, p. 186: "A bust of Dr. Benjamin Franklin was presented to the Company by Walter Franklin, Esquire.", Gift of Walter Franklin, 1805., Exhibited in the Library Company's exhibitions, Quarter of a Millennium (1981) and Benjamin Franklin: Writer and Printer (2006)., Photograph courtesy of Linda Lennon Objects Conservation.

Benjamin Franklin
The Lambdin portrait is a copy of an original painted by David Martin in 1766., Purchased by the Library Company, 1880., LCP Minutes vol. 8, April 1, 1880, p. 311: "A letter was recd from JR Lambdin offering for sale a portrait of Dr. Franklin, which was declined, the price being $200." Vol. 8, November 11, 1880, p. 343: "On motion it was decided to purchase from Mr. J.R. Lambdin a portrait of Dr. Franklin, provided it could be obtained for $150.00." Vol. 8, December 3, 1880, p. 352: "The following orders were drawn upon the Treasurer... No. 527, JR. Lambdin. Portrait of Dr. Franklin 150.00."

Benjamin Franklin
Anne Leslie was the sister of Eliza Leslie and Charles Robert Leslie. She was a portrait painter and copyist. Written on the back of the canvas, “Benjamin Franklin a copy by Miss Anne Leslie from the original by the French artist J.S. Duplessis when Franklin was in Paris. The first proprietor of Gruese’s picture of Franklin was Thomas Jefferson, by whose grand-daughter, Mrs. Coolidge, it was presented to the Boston Athenaeum.”, LCP Minutes vol. 7, April 29, 1858, p. 121: “A letter was received from Mrs. Haven stating that she had authority from Major Leslie to say that a portrait in oil of Dr. Franklin copied by Anna Leslie from the original by Greuze in the Boston Athenaeum and deposited by the late Miss Eliza Leslie in this Library was intended by Miss Leslie as a gift to this Institution. The Librarian was directed to return thanks.”, Gift of Eliza Leslie, c. 1858.

Benjamin Franklin 200th Year Anniversary Commemorative Medal
Inscription on the front reads, “Benjamin Franklin Printer Philosopher Scientist Statesman Diplomat.” The back reads, “Struck by an Act of Congress of the United States History Literature Science Philosophy To Commemorate Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Birth of Benjamin Franklin MCMVI.” A profile of Franklin’s head appears on the medal with the dates, “1706-1790.”, Gift of the American Philosophical Society.

Benjamin Franklin figurine.
Staffordshire figurine of Benjamin Franklin wearing a blue jacket, vest with floral decoration, gold-striped breeches, and black shoes carrying a tricorn hat in his left hand and a newspaper in his right hand. Gilded decoration and “Franklin” at the base in gilt. No maker’s marks. Firing hole at the bottom of the base., Gift of Beatrice Garvan, 2015.

Benjamin Franklin portrait miniature pendant
Portrait of Benjamin Franklin set into a gold frame with ribbon surmount, the foliate pierced and enameled border set with enameled urns and basket decorated with seed pearls, the reverse glazed to reveal the counter-enamel. The portrait is one of five extant versions and the jeweled setting is most likely contemporary and commissioned so that the image could be worn as a pendant. Weyler painted this portrait as a part of a series of miniatures he called “Panthéon Iconographique,” which included famous men he wanted to preserve for posterity in enamel. Franklin was the most popular of the series’ subjects. The original portrait for which the enamel was based on has not been traced, but it is believed to be a pastel taken from life., See accession file for more information about provenance., Purchase of the Library Company, 2013.

Benjamin R. Morgan
Benjamin Morgan was a prominent Philadelphia lawyer. Admitted to the bar in 1785, he became one of the judges of the District Court in 1821, and, previous to this, one of the founders of the Penna. Academy of the Fine Arts in 1805. Morgan was Secretary of the Library Company from 1792-1825 and one of its directors, 1825-1840., LCP Minutes vol. 9, April 4, 1889, p. 158: “A vote of thanks was directed to be sent to Mrs. Robert W. Leaming for her gift of a portrait of Benjamin R. Morgan.”, Gift of Mrs. Robert W. Leaming, 1889.

Benjamin Rush
Printed on silk with MS (paper) label., Bequest of Dr. James Rush, 1869.

Pages