Back to top


On the Edge of Society Hill
Depicts the corner of a well-kept residential street. The building on the corner is identified as St. Peter's House, an Episcopal charity., Standing here at the intersection of Pine and Front Streets we are upon the border of a once exclusive residential section. St. Peter's House, a beneficent outpost of the Episcopal Church, is one of comparatively modern build, dating from the centennial period. On this corner formerly stood the home of Bishop White. The houses beyond were, in the time of the Revolution, popular quarters for discriminating British officers of high degree, and more than one of them have been heard and seen even near to the present time, clad in brilliant uniforms, stalking in upper rooms and clanking down dark stairways to the affright of children and servants. This is, however, a matter to be whispered and not asserted when skeptics are near., Taylor Catalog Number: 41

Once a Fashionable Hotel
Depicts a row of residences on the corner of Seventh and Walnut Streets. People stand on the corner, and a horse-drawn carriage waits in the street., The fine, typical old residence here depicted was built about he year 1807 at the southwest corner of Walnut and Seventh Streets (once known as Columbian Avenue). It was erected by Captain John Meany, and in the sixty years of its existence housed a numhber of notable families, and was also famed as a fashionable restaurant and hotel. Some of those who lived here were Mr. Parish, merchant and importer; Lonard Keocker; Dr. John Syng Dorsey (who died here); Dr. George McClellan, father of Gen. George B. McClellan, who was born in this house. Joseph Head opened the residence in 1824 as a "gentlemen's restaurant and club house." It was in fact, a predecessor of Mr. Boldt's "Bellevue" of recent memory. In the same year of the "First Troop" tendered a dinner of historic renown at "Head's" to Gen. Lafayette. A later occupant was Josiah Randall, Esq., who was resident here when D.J. Kennedy and E.H. Klemroth made the drawings from which this present picture had been painted. The site is now covered by the building of the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society., Taylor Catalog Number: 57

The Original Occupant of the Union League Site
View of a building on a cobblestone street corner. The building has signs that read, "Plumbing & Gas Fitting, Furnaces, Cooking Ranges," and frieght train cars wait on the track in the foreground., Round about this structure, lined up boldly beside the solemn old home of the Academy of Natural Sciences, soldiery camped, barracked and drilled in Civil War days. Broad street, in front, was but little more than a cobble strewn freight yard where, also, market wagons were parked at nightfall. Then, in 1864, the Union League cleared the ground for its new building, which was completed and occupied in may, 1865, just in time to fittingly celebrate the triumphant close of the great war which led to the formation, in 1863, of this patriotic body of citizens., Taylor Catalog Number: 47

Oxford Trinity Church
Depicts a church surrounded by a graveyard. Two people stand at the entrance., Once a remote outpost of the Protestant Episcopal Church, this "meeting house" of a congregation well beyond its second century remains devoted to its original service. It was built by Welsh settlers in Oxford Township "nine miles form Philadelphia," as a mission of the English CHurch. The present building replaced a former structure burned in 1762. The tower was built in 1839. Its field of graves holds the dust of very many of the once prominent people of the section., Taylor Catalog Number: 359

The Parkway Fountain
Sketch of the fountain in Logan Square. Automobiles drive around while a caretaker and child walk along a path. City Hall can be seen in the background., Of the several public spaces provided in the survey of the original city of Philadelphia, Logan Square, has been subject to the most change. As a feature of the broad plan for linking up the centre of the city with Fairmount Park, it is an impressive and beautiful forecast of an avenue of great splendor. Where these waters now arise and flowers adorn the borders the great fair of the Sanitary Commisson was held in the early Summer of 1863., Taylor Catalog Number: 288

The Passing Windmere
View of a hotel slated for demolition near the intersection of Broad and Locust Streets. The building in the background, formerly the Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, is currently the Hyatt at the Bellevue hotel on Broad Street., The Windmere Hotel, here depicted: a glimpse of the towering Bellevue-Stratford rising above; fairly typifies the old as compared witht hte modern, in our local hotels. At this writing, in 1922, it is marked for removal. Originally a group of private residences, the Windmere as long served as a quiet family hotel, of the sort much in favor with the many who care for central locations. Its site, at Broad and Locust Streets, will doubtless soon be covered by something in the shape of a hive of business offices., Taylor Catalog Number: 261

A Patriotic Shrine
View of a large church on a cobblestone street corner, built in 1796., Zion Church, built by the second congregation of the German Lutherans in Philadelphia in the year 1766, was located at the southeastern corner of Fourth and Cherry Streets. The original structure was burned in 1794 and rebuilt, two years later, as shown in the drawing. It was considered to have been the largest and finest church in America. Like a number of other of the city churches, Zion was occupied in 1777-8, as a hospital, by the British Army. At the close of the Revolution, Congress met here in a service of thanksgiving for the surrender of Lord Cornwallis, and, in the restored building, Congress again assembled to mourn the death of Washington. It was upon this occation that General Henry Lee gave the nation the immortal tribute to the father of his counry in the words, "First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen!" Zion congregation removed to their new church on Franklin Street above Race Street in 1870., Taylor Catalog Number: 75

A Peep at Humble Homes
Depicts a narrow cobblestone alley of homes slated for demolition in 1922 for the construction of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge., One of almost countless hid-away nooks of the city, squalid, perhaps, but yet "sweet home" to somebody, is this brief court, opening upon Florist Street, to the northward. It had, when snap-shotted, in 1922, just before it was swept out of the way of the bridge approach, that saving-grace of the picturesque which is so well worth depiction; so appropriate for preservation in any scrapbook scenes in gone or passing Philadelphia., Taylor Catalog Number: 256

The Prune Street Theatre
Shows a three-story brick building on a cobblestone street identified as the Prune Street Theatre., In a lower section of Locust street, a step eastward from Washington Square, this aged building, now of the past, was notable. Orignially a warehouse, it was converted into a playhouse in 1820, as the Winter Tivoli Theatre. Edwin Forrest was, for a time, its manager. Three years later it was reopened as the City Theatre. Incident to the production at this time of John Howard Payne's melodrama, "Clare, the Maid of Milan," on October 29th, 1823, Mrs. H.A. Williams, wife of the manager, sang, "Home, Sweet Home," this being the first time it was hear in America. The song, which has touched the hearts of millions of wanderers, was written by Payne, an American, then residing in Egypt. The music was composed by Sir Henry Bishop. In 1825 the Jefferson Medical College occupied the building, removing therefrom in 1829. Through the greater part of a century the old structure was utilized for manufacturing purposes., Taylor Catalog Number: 115

The Randolph House on North Second Street in 1923
Depicts a small corner home on North Second Street, marked for removal due to the construction of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge., An interesting survival of the old days is the building at 212 North Second Street which was the home of Edward Randolph, and which, being within the area of the Delaware river bridge approach, will soon be removed. Mr. Richard P. Tatum has directed attention to this sturdy old mansion which, in 1786, was bought by Mr. Randolph from Charles Julian De Longchamps together with an addition owned by Benjamin Mershon., Taylor Catalog Number: 385

Randolph Street
Depicts a long strip of row houses on a narrow cobblestone street. A man in the foreground carries a basket of produce while two women push a baby carriage., This brief by-way, extending a half square south from Vine Street, in the square east from Sixth Street, will be removed, in common with all structures within that square, to make room for the terminal approach to the Delaware River Bridge. It is typical, in its general appearance, of a decadent section which, long ago, was considered a desirable residential district. It remains, in 1923, at least, a picturesque survival of Old Philadelphia's architecture. It has been called "the street of fourteen chimneys.", Taylor Catalog Number: 266

The Red Lion Inn
Depicts the busy intersection near 11th and Chestnut surrounded by residences and tall commercial buildings. The street is filled with pedestrians, as well as an early automobile and a horse-drawn carriage., Travelers in the era of stage-coaches knew the good fare of the Red Lion Inn, in the valley of Poquessing Creek, near Torresdale. It was, from 1730, a noted stopping point on the Old York Road route. In that year a license was granted to Philip Amos. Seventeen years later it was conducted by his widow. A tablet in the wall records that in 1774 the Massachusetts delegates to the first Continental Congress dined here. Indeed, the list of notables of our colonial and national history who sat at its tables would make an impressive showing. Generations of artists have found this ancient hostelry a favority subject. In 1919, when this drawing was made, it still ministered to the wants of "man and beast.", Taylor Catalog Number: 178

A Revolutionary Shrine at Haddonfield
Sketch of a three-story tavern shaded by trees with a large porch and produce stand in the front., The historic Indian King Tavern, at Haddonfield, N.J., is locally known as the "New Jersey Independence Hall." It was here that, upon March 18th, 1777, the Council of Safety for New Jersey met and where, also, in the following September, the Legislature formally created the state. The building was erected in 1750. In recent years the property was bought by the state and is now maintained, in charge of a commission, as a depository of Revolutionary relics and documents. This drawing was copied from a sketch made before the restorations were undertaken by the state authorities., Taylor Catalog Number: 50

Rittenhouse Square
View of Rittenhouse Square near the fountain where people partake in leisure activities. A church tower can be seen over the trees in the background., Taylor Catalog Number: 8

The Roberts Mansion
Depicts a three-story home on the corner of Walnut and Nineteenth Streets. It is identified as being built by Dr. Philip Syng Physick and later owned by Algernon Sidney Roberts., The fine old homestead at the northwest corner of Walnut and Nineteenth Streets was built, some eighty years ago, by Dr. Philip Syng Physick, of distinguished memory, whose descendants inter-married with several of our most exclusive families. The property was bought in 1864 by Algernon Sidney Roberts, whose daughters occupied it until recent years. At the date of this sketch (in 1918), the house has been loaned as headquarters of the French War Relief Committee in Pennsylvania, in charge of a group of patriotic ladies., Taylor Catalog Number: 155

Roberts' Mill, Germantown
Sketch of a mill next to a creek where a horse-drawn cart is being loaded and a woman stands nearby with a dog., Roberts' Mill, the second grist mill built within Philadelphia County, was erected in 1683 by Richard Townsend, one of the passengers who came upon the ship "Welcome" with William Penn. It stood near the point where Mill Street (now Church Lane) crossed the Wingohocking Creek beyond the intersection of Stenton Avenue. Townsend sold his mill to the Lucan (or Lukens) family and its is so called upon the maps of the Revolutionary period. Early in the Nineteenth Century it was acquired by Hugh Roberts. It figures in the story of the battle of Germantown as marking the point, upon the Mill Road, of the British right wing. The mill remained as an interesting landmark until about 1873., Taylor Catalog Number: 173

The Rock House
View of two modest wooden houses in Germantown, Pa. Laundry hangs out to dry and a child and dog stand in the yard., Historians of Germantown describe, at some length, this yet well-preserved relic of the early days. It is located, upon the remnants of its rock, on Penn Street, formerly Shoemaker's Lane, near Wingohocking Station. The drawing has been made from a photo taken in 1924 by Mr. John C. Trautwine, Jr., Taylor Catalog Number: 332

Sculptures Once Locally Familiar
Two panels depicting architectural reliefs. The top panel shows cherubs with a harp and book. The bottom shows two cherubs with comedy and drama masks., These decorative lunettes were chiselled by Guiseppe Jardella, who was brought to America to design and execute ornamentation for the ambitious residence planned as a home for Robert Morris and generally known as "the Folly." The historian, Watson, states that these stones were intended for that structure. Eventually, however, they were secured by Latrobe, the architect, and used to ornament the first and second theatres located from 1793 to 1820, and from that date to 1855, respectively, upon Chestnut street, north side, west of Sixth street. After many years of obscurity in a marble yard they were purchased by the Rev. and Mrs. Louis F. Benson, and now embellish the interior of their residence at 2014 De Lancey Place., Taylor Catalog Number: 113

The Second Chestnut street Theatre, 1822-1855
View of the Old Chestnut Street Theatre., The original theatre of the name was built just went of Sixth Street upon the north side of Chestnut Street, in 1794, by Wegnell and Reinagle. At a later time it was conducted by Warren and Wood. It was destroyed by fire in 1820 and a larger theatre which is shown in this drawing, was built by the stockholders and opened on Decenber 2d, 1822. Under various managements it was in business to 1855, being then replaced by other structures. It should be noted that the two carved lunettes upon its front were saved from the orginal theatre. They were cut of stone by an Italian sculptor for use upon the Morris "folly." These artistic works are now interior decorations of aaresidence in Delancey Street., Taylor Catalog Number: 269

Sixty Years Ago at Fourth and Walnut Streets
View of residences on the corner of Sixth and Walnut Streets in 1854, which were replaced by the Fire Association in 1910., This glimpse of by-gone Philadelphia dwellings has been sketched from a painting made in 1854, which is treasured by the Fire Association, whose splendid modern building at the northwest corner of Fourth and Walnut streets now covers the site. At the period when the original picture was made these houses were still residential, finding room, however, for some of the then numerous, but now long forgotten, railway, canal and mining companies, then active. The brownstone building which was subsequently built here was replaced by the Fire Association in 1910., Taylor Catalog Number: 59

Small Houses of
Pen and ink drawing; 15 x 11.5 in (38 x 29.5 cm), Depicts a building with two doors and multiple signs next to a walled garden. Two figures stand in front of one of the doors, and an automobile is parked across the street from the entrance. Building is possibly the Centaur Bookshop owned by Harold T. Mason during the 1920s and early 1930s., See photograph showing Centaur Bookshop in the LCP Photo Archives, Print Department, Folder Philadelphia. Library Company. Centaur Books and Records, South Juniper St.

Some Franklin Relics
Sketches of objects owned by Benjamin Franklin., A number of visible evidence of Benjamin Franklin's ingenuity are preserved in local libraries and museums. Some of the more important of these are here grouped. Nos. 1 and 4, electrical generators, are owned by the Franklin Institute. No. 3, a combination chair and step-ladder, and 5, the model of a stove, are treasured at the rooms of the Philosophical Society, of which Franklin was a founder. No. 2, an insulated stool, and 6, a beautifully made air-pump, may be seen in the museum of Independence Hall. Nos. 7 and 8, a china punch keg and wine glass are exhibited in the collection of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. These were presented to Franklin in Paris by the Count d'Artois. Nos. 9, a wooden flat-iron holder, and 10, a burning glass, are also at the last-named institution. The Library Company of Philadelphia has a duplicate of No. 1. A priceless collection of Franklin papers possessed by the Philosophical Society have been cataloged in a series of painstaking volumes, by Dr. I. Minis Hays, the Librarian., Taylor Catalog Number: 86

Some Second Street Stores
Row of shops on a cobblestone street, displaying goods and advertisements., Second Street was once accounted "the longest business street in the world." Its retail shops, of which this group are typical examples, extended for miles above and below Market Street. Its modern traffic, however, is dependent largely upon the city's foreign elements which now people this crowded river-front quarter of the old city., Taylor Catalog Number: 322

Some Spring Street Homes
Depicts a row of small townhouses on a cobblestone street slated for demolition in 1923 to build the Benjamin Franklin Bridge., The tripods of the Delaware River bridge engineers have been set up in Spring Street, a little home thoroughfare leading west from Front Street and this group of old-time homes is marked for removal. Just beyond them in an angle are two other relics of colonial days also awaiting, in 1923, early destruction. One of these, according to tradition, is the house which was the first home, in Philadelphia, of the Boston boy, Benjamin Franklin., Taylor Catalog Number: 307

The "Sorrel Horse" and the "Rising Sun"
Image of an old three-story building surrounded by a picket fence. A caption in the bottom left corner reads, "Sorrel Horse Hotel, Fifty First St. and Woodland Ave. The upper floor is of modern construction. Original part was built in 1800.", Just southwestward of the old Darby Road Toll-gate at Forty-ninth Street there yet remain two time-worn structures once popular with speeders on their way to or returning from Suffolk Driving Park. The first, known as the "Sorrel Horse," is at Greenway lane, just beyond Fifty-first Street. It bears the date of 1800. Some owner, in the time of its decadence, has removed its dornered roof and built above the old walls a third floor as a place of teh storage of odds and ends of many sorts. The other, famed as the "Rising Sun," probably dates from colonial days. Not since the era when "two-forty on the plank road" was the nation-wide synonym of speed records have these old-timers known the prosperity of the crowded stable yards and equally crowded tap rooms. They linger as reminders of days and ways long gone of interest chiefly to the passing artist and the oldest inhabitant., Taylor Catalog Number: 183

The "Sorrel Horse" and the "Rising Sun"
View of a stone and lumber building with a sign that labels it "David F. Ferguson Storage." A caption in the bottom left corner of the image reads, " Rising Sun Hotel, Woodland Ave. below 54th St.", Just southwestward of the old Darby Road toll-gate at Forty-ninth Street there yet remain two time-worn structures once popular with speeders on their way to or returning from Suffolk Driving Park. The first, known as the "Sorrel Horse," is at Greenway lane, just beyond Fifty-first Street. It bears the date of 1800. Some owner, in the time of its decadence, has removed its dormed roof and built above the old walls a third floor as a place of the storage of odds and ends of many sorts. The other, famed as the "Rising Sun," probably dates from colonial days. Not since the ears when "two-forty on the plank road" was the nation-wide synonym of speed records have these old-timers known the prosperity of crowded stable yards and equally crowded tap rooms. They linger as reminders of days and ways long gone of interest chiefly to the passing artist and the oldest inhabitant., Taylor Catalog Number: 181

South Broad Street in 1915
Aerial view of South Broad Street. A parade with men on horseback and a marching band fills the street while onlookers line the sidewalk., Taylor Catalog Number: 11

South of Rittenhouse Square
View of Rittenhouse Square and apartment buildings surrounding it., These notable residences of South Rittenhouse Square are now, in 1923, marked for removal to make space for another lofty apartment building. Their history is well recorded in an excellent book of the old square prepared by Mr. Charles J. Cohen to which those who are interested in the identity of their successive occupants are referred. The buildings date from the decade following 1850., Taylor Catalog Number: 303

Southeast from Logan Square
View of a shady park path with buildings in the background. A woman and small girl stand in the foreground on the path., Taylor Catalog Number: 15

Southward from Ninth and Market Streets in 1870
View of Ninth and Market Streets in the 1870s lined with trees and filled with pedestrians. Two businesses display signs saying, "Cooper and Conard" and "John E. Burke Gents' Furnishing Goods.", This drawing portrays the appearance of Ninth Street prior to 1874 when the old college buildings, vacated by the University of Pennsylvania two years before, were removed and work on the present Federal building was commenced. In the early days of the Republic (1798) the State of Pennsylvania caused the erection, on this site, of a spacious residence for the President, but it was not so occupied. The structure was replaced in 1829 by the U. of P. The Gimbel store now includes the site of Cooper & Conard store at the left., Taylor Catalog Number: 189

Southwest from Washington Square
View of a rainy street where pedestrians walk by with umbrellas. Carriages are also present., Taylor Catalog Number: 18

Sparks' Shot Tower
Depicts a narrow residential street with a corner store in the foreground and a large cyllindrical tower looming in the background., The long-discussed Sparks' shot tower remains a dominant feature of Southwark. It stands just west from Front Street and north from John or Carpenter Street. It was built in 1808 by Bishop & Sparks for the production of shot for sportsmen. In 1812, when the firm was called upon for shot to be used in the war, Bishop, being a Friend, withdrew from the business. It was continued by Sparks for many years. In the rear of the tower a small cemetery existed. This space and that upon which the tower stands have been taken by the city as a public playground., Taylor Catalog Number: 166

St. George's Hall
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a building at the corner of an intersection, with an inscription on the front that reads "St George's Hall." Pedestrians stand on the steps of the building or walk by, and a horse-drawn streetcar travels in the street., A century since there was, among the array of shops along then fashionable Second Street, a retail dry goods store conducted by an energetic young citized named Matthew Newkirk, who so prospered that he was voted, twenty years later, to the presidency of a group of transportation enterprises which he presently welded into the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, in testimony of which there yet stands, near the site of the once famous "Newkirk Viaduct," at Gray's Ferry, a neglected monument. Out of the profits of this and other achievements he built this palatial home, in 1837, at the southwestern corner of Thirteenth and Arch streets. Mr. Newkirk resided here about thirty years. He died in 1868. Just prior to the Centennial period the Society of the Sons of St. George bought the property and made extensive alterations. The long-familiar bronze of "St. George and the dragon," which surmounted the building, was cast in England. When the Society removed, not long ago, to its new home at Nineteenth and Arch streets, the bronze was taken along. The site of the mansion is now occupied by the "St. George Building," a business structure., Taylor Catalog Number: 69

St. George's Methodist Church
Depicts a large white building shaded by trees and identified as being the birthplace of Methodism., This venerated structure, upon Fourth Street above Race Street, narrowly escaped removal to make way for the approach of the Delaware River bridge. This is the birth place of Methodism, which dates from 1773. The first Missionary Society was organized here as well as the great Methodist Book Concern., Taylor Catalog Number: 316

St. John's English Lutheran Church
Front view of a church with stained-glass windows and wrought iron fence. People walk out of the entrance and wait outside of the gate., The beautiful portal of old St. John's, which still dignifies the block upon Race Street east of Sixth Street, quite justified the popular opinion of old residents that it was the finest in the city. St. John's was built in 1808 by the English-speaking element of the older Zion and St. Michael's Churches in which the German language was used. It is surrounded by the graves of many who worshipped here. Immediately in front of the doorway is a tomb wherein rest the bodies of Bohl Bohlen and his distinguished son, Gen. W. Henry C. Bohlen. The former coming from Germany became a prominent mercant of the city and the founder of the Philadelphia branch of the Bohlens. Gen. Henry Bohlen, as he preferred to be called, was the ideal soldier among his local compatriots. Having served in the Crimean and Mexican Wars, he became the logical colonel of the Seventy-fifth Regiment of Pennsylvania Vols. in 1862, which was composed of German citizens. Soon after attaining the rank of Brig. General, he was kiled, on August 22nd, 1862, at Freeman's Ford, Va. His widow was a member of the Borie family. Their grandson, Dr. Gustave von Bohlen and Halbach, is the husband of Bertha Krupp, of Essen, Germany., Taylor Catalog Number: 159

St. Joseph's Historic Church
Shows a Catholic church and attached school, featuring large panels of stained-glass windows., Known to few others than the devout old St. Joseph's Catholic Church is accessible only by way of Jesuits coming from Maryland. The present building dates from 1838. It is recorded that the dominant Quakers of the period were tolerant of these strangers, who, in time, also built St. Mary's Church upon Fourth Street. They also contributed to the building of St. Augustine's Church. A tablet set in the wall of St. Joseph's preserves the memory of Rev. Joseph Greaton. A school is connected with this institution., Taylor Catalog Number: 355

Stephen Girard's Farm House
Shows an ivy-covered farmhouse, identified as having been owned by Stephen Girard., Possibly as a diversion from his thronging business cares, Stephen Girard bought seventy-five acres of ground in Passyunk in the year 1797, and there established a model farm. The location was "three miles from Philadelphia upon the Fort Mifflin road." The residence he there erected is still preserved as is the property of the city. The drawing has been made from photos taken before modern changes were made. Doubtless the financier and merchant lived here at times, finding delight in his choice cattle and sheep and in his productive fields up to the period of his death, at the end of the year 1830., Taylor Catalog Number: 153

A Study of Chimneys
Study of the skyline on Locust street., This casual grouping of walls, roof expanses and chimneys may be enjoyed through a window of the Philadelphia Library building at Locust and Juniper Streets. Arrayed along a bit of morning sky those towering shafts, rising from broad fire-places, seem to proclaim a plenty of interior comfort of the old sort which still holds so many of our "best families" close to the heart of the old town., Taylor Catalog Number: 292

A Survival of the Stone Age
View of a stone residence with columns across the front porch. A man and dog stand in the foreground of the image., In the course of one of its migrations the City History Society came upon this venerable habitation, yet occupied, when sketched, in 1923, as a dwelling. It is located near Twenty-fourth Street and north from Hunting Park Avenue. Its walls are built of rough field-stone, now adorned with a sturdy growth of ivy. It stands upon the margin of dwelling and factory extension. Research and inquiry upon the part of the artist, have failed to discover the story of its erection or of those by whom it was built., Taylor Catalog Number: 339

Swaim's Laboratory and Baths
Shows commercial buildings on the corner of Seventh and Sansom Streets. Shops are on the first floor and pedestrians stand on the corner., The venerable buildings yet standing (in 1916) at the northeastern corner of Seventh and Sansom Streets, were erected nearly a century ago by William Swaim for the manufacture of his once famous "Panacea." In connection with them he established a bathing establishment, a long popular predecessor of the modern Turkish baths of the city. These structures are upon ground once part of the gardens in the rear of the Waln Mansion upon Chestnut street. At one time a tavern was located here. A variety of small industries, offices and stores give the old group an air of some remaining activity. When passing, please note the picturesque little fruit store at the corner., Taylor Catalog Number: 79