Back to top

Pages


Colonnade Row
View of the Colonnade Hotel on Chestnut Street. Pedestrians are on the sidewalk and ornate carriages pass on the street., Colonnade Row was built upon the south side of Chestnut street, between Fifteenth and Sixteenth streets, in the year 1830. The Epiphany Church, opposite, was erected four years later. The present Colonnade Hotel covers part of the site and derives its name from this group of once modern houses, which were novel in design and one of the earliest residential operations west of Broad Street. They were removed in 1868., Taylor Catalog Number: 107

The Colosseum and Offenbach Auditorium
Image with two panels. The left half contains a view of the Centennial building "The Colosseum" on a busy street corner. The right half shows a market building with a sign that reads, "D.P.S. Nichols' Broad St. Horse & Carriage Bazaar.", These structures were features of Broad Street in the Centennial period. The Colosseum building was located upon the site now covered by the Hotel Walton. It was built by Nixon & Zimmerman, who exhibited a cyclorama of "Paris by Night" within it through 1876. The building on the right was erected at the southeast corner of Broad and Cherry Streets in 1876, as a concert hall for Offenbach's famous French orchestra and comedy company. It stood upon the site of an old market building used, during the Civil War, as an United States Military hospital. Following the close of the Centennial it was utilized as a sales bazaar for vehicles and horses. It was finally removed when, in 1893, work was commenced upon the modern building still generally spoken of as the "Odd Fellows' Temple.", Taylor Catalog Number: 175

The Columbia Bridges
Reproduction of two drawings depicting a bridge over a river. Top image depicts a covered railroad bridge with a train going across, with a horse-drawn covered wagon and a train car pulled by mules in the foreground. The bottom image shows an uncovered bridge with two steam locomotives moving in opposite directions, and two automobiles and horses on the lower bank of the river., The original railroad bridge spanning the Schuylkill River at Belmont was completed in 1834. It was built by the State of Pennsylvania, at a cost of $235,000, to provide connection of the city with the Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad. It was the first railroad bridge built within the State. Cars were drawn to Belmont by mule power and hoisted by steam up the incline at Belmont a distance of 2000 feet. Thence they proceeded to Columbia, at first by horse power, and, after 1836 by small locomotives. Sectional canal boats were transported upon trucks over the same route, these providing means for freightage and passenger travel to and from Pittsburgh. The bridge was bought by the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company after the old State railroad was superseded by the Pennsylvania (central) line. The old bridge was displaced by one of iron in 1889. This second bridge will be removed, in the course of 1920, by a splendid arched bridge of concrete which is, at this time (1919), in course of construction., Taylor Catalog Number: 184

The Continental Hotel
Image of a large hotel on a busy street corner., This long and notable hotel was displaced in 1924 to make room for a modern business structure. It catered to the travelling public through more than sixty years of service. When opened it ranked as one of the four most notable hotels of the nation. The first proprietors were the Kingsleys. The house contained 450 rooms and was conducted upon the "American plan" of a definite daily charge. Its location was due to the burning of the "circus," which had long occupied the site; an event which changed the plans of the Butler Hotel Company, which had intended to build upon the nortwest corner of Chestnut and Eighth Streets. The Continental had the largest bar in the United States., Taylor Catalog Number: 351

The Cope Residence, Lancaster, Pa.
Depicts a two-story brick home in Lancaster, Pa. identified as having been owned by a Quaker family during the Revolutionary War., This typical Colonial homestead, which remained a notable local feature of Lancaster until June, 1904, was the house of Caleb Cope, a member of the Society of Friends, and prior to the Revolution a Burgess of the town. In the fall of 1775 a number of British officers who had been captured by the Americans in the Canadian operations were sent to Lancaster and placed on parole. Among them was Captain John Andre, then twenty-four years old. Having difficulty in securing lodgings, young Andre was invited by Caleb Cope to his home, despite the prejudice of the townspeople. Like a large proportion of the Quakers, the Copes were passively loyalists. Andre and another officer abode here some months, being then removed to Carlisle. Andre, talented and agreeable, gained many friends. He employed his leisure in instructing young Thomas P. Cope in drawing. Two bricks from the wall of the house have been preserved which bear the initals of Andre and his boy associate. After his exchange Andre became Adjutant General of the British force. His death, by execution as a spy, at Tappan on the Hudson, is a tragic memory. The Cope Homestead was bought in 1851 by the Hon. A. Herr Smith, and his daughter, Eliza D. Smith, resided there up to the time of its demolition., Taylor Catalog Number: 125

The Corn Exchange National Bank
Depicts the Corn Exchange National Bank building on the corner of Second and Chestnut Streets., This prominent financial institution was organized in August, 1858, as the Corn Exchange Bank. Its first location was upon Second Street near Walnut Street. The orginal capital was $130,000. It became a national bank in 1864, at which time it occupied the building at the northeast corner of Second and Chestnut Streets, later replaced by the present attractive structure, which yet remains the home of the bank, with central city branch at 1510-12 Chestnut Street., Taylor Catalog Number: 357

The Darby Meeting
Reproduction of a drawing of a scene showing two buildings in a pastoral setting with pedestrians on sidewalks in the foreground. Buildings are seperated by the sidewalk by a picket fence., The Darby "Friends," a group then zealous, if few in numbers, organized a meeting in 1864 and, three years later, built a place of worship of logs. This also served as a town meeting house. The existing buildings were erected in 1805. Most of the members came from the county Derby, England. After considerably more than a century of use the structures, in good repair, and the adjoining burial ground are maintained by the Quaker descendants of the original settlers., Taylor Catalog Number: 309

Delaware River Bridge
Reproduction of a drawing depicting the construction of a bridge tower. Figures work near the scaffolding clustered around the left-hand side of the tower, and automobiles are in the foreground., A sketch of the Delaware River Bridge Tower at the foot of Race Street, Philadelphia, in December, 1923., Taylor Catalog Number: 318

Delaware's Oldest Homestead and Block House
Two-part composition of the oldest buildings in Delaware, just over the state line. The top part of the image shows the homestead of Col. Thomas Robinson, while the lower part shows a Swedish block-house built in 1654., About one mile to the southward of Marcus Hook and just beyond the Delaware State line, where Naaman's Creek is bridged, stands the homestead of Col. Thomas Robinson, an officer of the Revolution, who was born here. Still older, and upon the same property, is a Swedish block-house, a defensive refuge built in 1654 by John Ridsing, Lieutenant Governor under Printz. The soldiers of four successive nations have swarmed around this little structure and at least once it was captured by Indian assailants. Colonel Robinson worked a grist mill upon the creek and there is preserved one of the old mill stones, which was buried at the instance of Washington by General Harry Lee during the Revolution to prevent its use by the British. There is a suggestion of Mount Vernon in the design of the mansion, which is kept in excellent repair and contains much of the original furniture. It is conducted as a tea house by Mrs. Edna A. Robinson. Lately (in 1917) the property has been purchased by the Worth Steel Company. It is hoped that the old structures, soon to be environed by great industries, will be saved from destruction., Taylor Catalog Number: 133

The Dock Street
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a busy market scene. Depicts the Market House with awnings, displays of goods, and horse-drawn delivery trucks. Shoppers populate the stalls and delivery trucks, and there is a mother and daughter walking away from the market in the foreground., At the opening of the year 1924, when this drawing of the market house at Dock and Spruce was made, this busy centre of food retailing, especially in fish, was still open for business, although lately sold. The structure is one of the few of its type yet remaining. It was built by the city and, in 1874, was purchased by William Massey, from whose estate it was bought by John H. Dart, Jr., Taylor Catalog Number: 327

Dooner's Hotel
Sketch of a well-kept hotel on a street corner, which only served men., This hotel, one of the last of its type, in Philadelphia, was opened in 1883, by Thomas Dooner, who had previously conducted a hotel at Chestnut and Eighth Streets. "Dooners" catered to men only and had always a capacity patronage. It has now, at the beginning of 1924, been sold to the Federal Reserve Bank and will soon, it is understood, be replaced by a structure required by the business of that financial corporation. In recent years Dooner's has been conducted by Mr. Thomas F. Dooner, the son of its founder., Taylor Catalog Number: 338

An Early Burlington Printery
View of a printery on a cobblestone street where a horse is tied outside., The seventeen-year boy, Benjamin Franklin, came to Burlington at the end of a fifty-mile tramp across the Jerseys and found there a kindly woman who fed him, and a boatman who gave him passage to Philadelphia. Four years later, in 1727, Franklin again came to Burlington with his first employer, a Jewish printer named Samuel Keimer, to print money for the province of New Jersey. To do this work Franklin built the first copper-plate press used in America, and also engraved the required designs. The printing, which occupied three months, was done in the small building shown in this drawing. Mr. Henry S. Haynes states that the structure antedates 1683, at which time it was occupied by Samuel Jennings, Governor of West Jersey. In this building Smith's History of New Jersey was printed in 1765 and, later, Isaac Collins printed here continental money for the Revolutionists. The State Gazette and New Jersey Gazette were born here. One of many publications produced in this little printery was an edition of the Bible. In modern times tailors, plumbers and other tradesmen occupied the place. It was torn down about 1897., Taylor Catalog Number: 96

The Eastern Market
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a busy market scene. Displays of goods are visible as are banners reading "choice fruit in season" and "Partridges Dining Saloon," with shoppers and horse-drawn delivery trucks. There is a horse-drawn trolley in the foreground., The Eastern Market-house was built in 1859. It extended between Fourth and Fifth streets above Chestnut street. It was the third market building of its class built in Philadelphia. Some old citizens will recall Partridge's lunch counter as a popular feature here, for many years. The Market covered the site of the old Black Bear Inn. It was, in turn, displaced in the year 1900 by the Bourse building., Taylor Catalog Number: 279

The Epiphany Protestant Episcopal Church
View of a neo-classical style church on the busy corner of Fifteenth and Chestnut Streets. Pedestrians and horse-drawn carriages populate the area., Built in 1834, this church continued to be a popular place of worship through more than sixty years. When established, upon the northwest corner of Fifteenth and Chestnut Streets, it was environed by the substantial homes of prominent families, nearly all of which have long been displaced or converted to the uses of business. THe old church building was bought, in 1901, from the congregation by Mr. John Wanamaker, who eventually resold it. The larger portion is now covered by the lofty Pennsylvania Building., Taylor Catalog Number: 25

An Existing "Bonaparte" House
Depicts a large, three-story house shaded by trees. A horse-drawn carriage and two people are in front of the building., The substantial, numbered 260 on South Ninth Street, is one of several in Philadelphia identified with the sojurn here of Joseph Bonaparte, following the downfall of the Emperor, under the title of Count Survilliers, ex-king of Spain. The exact period and duration of the royal sojourn at the house here depicted is not known., Taylor Catalog Number: 100

Exit the Continental
Streetview of a hotel slated for demolition. Pedestrians mill about on the sidewalk., After sixty-three years of service this noted hotel is, at this writing, early in 1923, being scrapped. When the sites of the old circus and the Peale museum were bought by the Butler hotel company and a million dollars devoted to the enterprise the public was amazed. Newspapers predicted disaster. But the big hotel, which was to be called the "Penn Manor," was an immediate success. When this sketch was made the workmen had already attacked the parlor-floor balcony where, upon February 21st, 1861, a tall westerner, Abraham Lincoln, President-elect, first appeared to a Philadelphia crowd and realized its loyalty. Here, in the passing years many another distinguished visitor has looked down upon busy Chestnut street and its surge of life as coming generations will, doubtless, view the scene from the greater hotel which is to replace this old landmark of changing Philadelphia., Taylor Catalog Number: 298

Fair of the U.S. Sanitary Commission in 1864
Aerial view of the U.S. Sanitary Commission Fairgrounds in Logan Square., In the early summer of 1864 the United States Sanitary COmission, devoted to the welfare of the Soldiers and Sailors of the Federal forces held a series of great fairs in thirteen cities. The most important of these events was opened at Logan Square in Philadelphia upon June 7th and continued two weeks. The Art Gallery, filled with a loan collection of notable paintings remianed open to July 6th. The proceeds of the enterprise exceeded $1,000,000. The temporary buildings erected for the exhibition were afterward occupied, for a short time, as barracks for 3000 concalescent soldiers from the military hospitals of the city., Taylor Catalog Number: 293

The Fairmount Market
Reproduction of a drawing depicting a busy market scene. Shoppers are examining goods are displayed under awnings, which have vendor names written on them. There are motor cars, horse-drawn delivery trucks, and a trolley, and two figures are crossing the streetcar tracks in the foreground., This long popular market house, at the southwest corner of Spring Garden and Twenty-second streets, was bought, in 1917, by the trustes of Lu Lu Temple Mystic Shrine, from the estate of Joshua Haines. The space, covering 300 feet by 265 feet upon the two streets, respectively, will be used as the site for an ornate and costly Temple of the Order. This will be undertaken when the return of Peace and normal construction conditions make the improvement timely., Taylor Catalog Number: 111

The Falstaff Hotel
Image of the hotel on the corner of Sixth and Jayne Streets and the adjacent brewery., This quaint hostelry stood, until comparatively recent times, at No. 26 South Sixth Street, at the upper corner of Carpenter Street (now Jayne Street). It was built prior to 1817 and was originally called the "Washington Tavern." It was probably renamed the "Falstaff" in recognition of its popularity among the actors from the Chestnut Street Theatre, long located at Sixth and Chestnut Streets, these Thespians and their friends finding refreshment here after the close of the drama of the evening. Gray's brewery, adjoining upon the north, was, with the exception of the Morris brewery, the oldest in the city. William Gray bought the property in 1772. The main structure was back from the street. The two-story building shown in the drawing was built in front of the brewery about 1820., Taylor Catalog Number: 177

A Famous Church and Noted Tavern
View of a large, neo-classical building and the adjacent small, brick tavern. Pedestrians on the sidewalk wear 18th century-style clothing., White Horse alley, now Bank street, at its conjunction with High street, was flanken, a century ago, by the Frist Presbyterian Church and the Indian King tavern. The former upon the east, a beautiful edifice, was built in 1795 upon the site of the old "Buttonwood Church." The congregation abandoned it in 1822 because of the encroachements of the market traffic, removing to Seventh and Locust streets. The tavern on the western side is much older. It was, in 1735, the meeting-place of the Grand Lodge, F. and A.M., of Pennsylvania, of which, at the time, Benjamin Franklin was the Grand Master. Here also met the brethren of St. John's Lodge, of which Franklin was a member, and who were active in the erection of Independence Hall., Taylor Catalog Number: 87

Farm house, Fifty-first Street and Springfield Avenue
Depicts a farmhouse and barn with cows and people on the property. It is labled as, "The Jones Homestead, 51st St. west of Springfield Ave.," on the bottom right of the image., Taylor Catalog Number: 182

The Farmers' Market
Reproduction of a drawing of the Farmers' Market House and nearby buildings. Awnings cover the ground level of the market, while pedestrians, a horse-drawn streetcar, and two freight cars are in the foreground., The Farmers' Market house, erected upon the north side of Market Street, west from Eleventh Street, was built in 1860 and was one of the first structures of this type which succeeded the old mid-street sheds. Soon afterward the Frankline Market Company, which had previously erected the market building now housing the Mercantile Library, built a large structure adjoining the Farmers' Market upon the west. In 1892 the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company acquired both properties and placed upon the sites the present terminal building. By agreement the market people were given space beneath the terminal track floor which they still occupy. More extended particulars will be found in Mr. Joseph Jackson's comprehensive History of Market Street., Taylor Catalog Number: 132

Filbert Street Houses
View of a busty intersection filled with people, early automobiles, horse-drawn carriages, and a trolley. The streets are lined with residences and businesses displaying a variety of advertisements., Taylor Catalog Number:

The First Photograph Made in America
The image depicts an early street scene showing the State Arsenal, the then new High School and the Horse Market Tavern on Juniper Street, now covered by the Wanamaker building. Views of buildings on Market, Juniper and Filbert streets are seen in the distance., The possibility of obtaining "sun pictures" was known to European scientists in the early period of the eighteenth century, but it remained to Daguerre, one of a group of French experimenters, to produce definite heliographs. When, in 1839, he was pensioned by the French Government, the process was made public and the formula soon reached American scientific bodies. A brief account appeared in the "United States Gazette" of September 25th. Among those few who regarded the discovery seriously was Joseph Saxton, and employee at the Mint upon Chestnut Street. He obtained a small lens and an "exposure" from a rear second-story window of the Mint. This picture, taken upon October 16th, 1839, was the first "heliograph" made in America. He is said, by Dr. Julius Sachse, in his pamphlet report to the Franklin Institute, to have taken other views from the same outlook on the following daw. THis drawaing depicts what the camera "saw," even though but faintly, in those epochal views. Joseph Saxton was an inventor of numerous scientific and mechanical devices. He died at Washington in 1873.

The First Public
Reproduction of a drawing of a former school turned into a factory. The building is at the corner of an intersection, with two horse-drawn wagons going by. A couple is conversing outside a building next door., In 1916, when the photograph from which this drawing has been made was taken, the once famous "model school" building was still existent upon Darien (formally Chester) street, north of Race street. This was the first public school established, under the act of 1818, in the city. It was opened in that year as a school of instruction for female teachers. In the interval between the sale of the "Boys' High School," on Juniper street below Market street, in 1853, and the completion of the new High School, at the southeast corner of Broad and Green streets, the Chester street building was used for that purpose. When, in the same year, the Normal School building was erected on Sergeant (now Spring) street, east of Tenth street, the "model school" was placed in the elementary class. For a long period this forgotten school, now a dingy factory in decadent surroundings, was a show place among educators. The property was sold by the city in 1878, to Charles S. Caffrey., Taylor Catalog Number: 92

The First United States Mint
Depicts the three brick buildings formerly occupied by the United States Mint., The great historical interest relating to the group of old structures upon North Seventh Street (Numbers 37 and 39), which were the first buildings ever erected under authority of Congress for a national purpose and which were used forty years as the first United States Mint, was, fortunately, fully realized by Mr. Frank H. Stewart, who bought them in 1907 and removed them to make room for a modern business edifice in 1911. The Frank H. Stewart Electric Company thus became the third title-holder of the site from the orignial sale by William Penn. This drawing has been made from a painting by Edwin Lamasure, based upon careful research for all exterior details of construction. The middle building, first of the group erected, housed the coinage department. During the incumbency of his friend, David Rittenhouse, 1792-95, the first Director, George Washington was a frequent and enthusiastic visitor. Practically every rare coin bearing the United States stamp was made in this building, including the silver-centre cent of 1792 and the silver dollar of 1804. Steam power was introduced into the Mint in 1816 for heavy work. The treasure vaults were located beneath the front building. The coinage building also contained bullion vaults. The rear building contained the smelting and refining department. In 1832 the Government removed its Mint to the handsome and spacious building then just completed for the purpose at Chestnut and Juniper streets. Thereafter the old buildings were occupied by industrial concerns until secured by the present owner of the site., Taylor Catalog Number: 60

Forty-Fifth and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia
Ink, wash, gouache. 13 x 20 in (33 x 50 cm)., Property possibly part of cluster of buildings located at the opening of Forty-Fourth Street between Walnut and Locust Streets. Possible identification from David J. Kennedy watercolor [V61] in the collections of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania., After sketch by R. Meade Bache., Depicts a farmhouse with two figures on the porch on a small hill with a cluster buildings in the background. A pedestrian and a figure on horseback walk along a road in the foreground.

Fox Chase Hotel
View of a hotel hotel with a wraparound porch and people standing in front, while a horseback rider and a horse-drawn carriage wait outside. A sign above the entrance reads, "Fox Chase Hotel.", This typical example of the once plentiful and profitable road houses of the suburbs was located at Rhawn Street when the northeastern section of the city was still open country and, as its name suggests, the sport of fox hunting was still in vogue. Such of these old hostels as yet remain, although no longer centres of convivial resort, at least provide interesting subjects for the pencil of the artist., Taylor Catalog Number: 329

Francisville
Shows five panels of houses in Francisville, the area bordered by Ridge Ave., Fairmount Avenue, and Nineteenth Street. The house in the center panel is identified as having been owned by Rev. Samuel B. Wylie., The old name "Francisville" is still used to designate a diagonal space extending athwart the triangle bordered by Ridge and Fairmont avenues and Nineteenth street. This tract was planned by Tench Francis, whose father, of the same name, was one of William Penn's associates. The younger Francis had married Ann Willing. The enterprise was inteded to provide a select suburb, beyond the encroachments of the city. The lots were placed on sale in 1770. One of the early houses upon the tract, that of Tench Francis, was burned by the British soldiery in the fall in 1777. Tench Francis was for some years the cashier of the Bank of North America, of which his father-in-law Thomas Willing, was president. The Property called "Bellevue" was built by the Rev. Samuel B. Wylie, in 1825. It remained the family homestead to the end of the century, when it was replaced by the Bellevue Apartments, destroyed by fire some years ago. The site is now within the new Francisville Recreation ground., Taylor Catalog Number: 98

Franklin Court
View of a narrow cobblestone street lined with crowded buildings. A horse-drawn carriage waits in the foreground., This narrow thoroughfare, now called South Orianna street, extending south from Market to Chestnut streets, east of Fourth Street, marks the side of the narrow lane leading back to the home of Benjamin Franklin in his later years, and in which he died in 1790. His "mansion house" was upon the west side about the center of the square. After his death the house was occupied by the Portuguese Minister. In 1801 it was offered by the advertisements as having "five chambers, two parlours, a large kitchen," etc. In that year it was occupied by the Philadelphia Academy. Subsequently it became John Cordner's Coffee House and Hotel. In the Athenian Hall, in this alley, a young Scot, James Gordon Bennett, essayed his first newspaper venture, the Daily Courier, which he afterward sold to Jasper Harding. Here also James Wilson, grandfather of President Wilson, published the Aurora. In Franklin Court one Baker maintained, in 1822, an agency for servants and advertised "Black boys and girls for sale." This was probably one of the latest instances of traffic in modified human slavery in the city., Taylor Catalog Number: 85

The Franklin House, Later the St. Louis Hotel
Image of a large five-story hotel with a second-floor balcony on a busy street. There is a sign above the porch that says, "Franklin House.", Franklin Court was opened through to Chestnut street in 1825. At that period a three-story house stood at the northeast corner of Chestnut street and the Court, in which the Post Office was located. The Franklin House was built upon the ground now covered by the First National Bank, in 1842, by David Winebrenner. It was opened by Joseph M. Sanderson & Son, who formerly managed the Merchants' Coffee House and the City Tavern. It was conducted upon the European plan. The restaurant and an elaborate bar were here in the forwarding letters at 6 1/4 cents postage until suppressed by the Government as illegal. In 1853 the first meeting of citizens was held in the parlor of the hotel for the object of the consolidation of the city. The property was bought in 1860 by Charles Petry, famous among "good livers" of the time, who renamed the house the St. Louis Hotel. Two years later he sold to Henry Neill and James Devoe. The St. Louis Hotel surrendered to finance in 1866, when it was displaced by the modern structure of the First National Bank., Taylor Catalog Number: 123

The Franklin Institute
View of a former home of the Franklin Institute on Seventh Street., This time-honored society is a practical example of local tenacity. Ever since its organization, in 1824, it has held to its original home in Seventh Street, although its removal, at no distant time, is now expected. The activities of the Institute include the encouragement of inventions and the preservation, in a great library collection, of records of scientific research and progress. In 1824 the Institute held, in Carpenters Hall, the first exhibition of American manufacturers. Its semi-centennial exhibition was held, in 1874, upon the site of the present Wanamaker store as a prelude to the Centennial., Taylor Catalog Number: 334

Franklin's First Home in Philadelphia
Depicts two attached brick homes and surrounding alleyways with hanging laundry., Taylor Catalog Number: 22

Franklin's Home in London
Depicts a three-story home on a rainy street in London with a balcony on the second floor., Benjamin Franklin resided in London between the years 1757 and 1762, as a representative of the interests of Pennsylvania and several other colonies. While there he lived in a plain but substantial house at No. 7 Craven street, Strand, W.C. This fact is set forth upon a bronze tablet which is still affixed to the residence, and which bears the following inscription: "Lived Here, Benjamin Franklin, Printer, Philosopher, and Statesman. Born 1706, Died 1790." The lady who occupied the house at the period of Franklin's sojurn was Mrs. Margaret Stevenson, a widow. Her grandson, Dr. T.T. Hewson, came to Philadelphia in 1796, and made this city his permanent home. He died in 1848. This drawing had been made from a photograph., Taylor Catalog Number: 93

Front Street North from Pine Street
Depicts a busy street with people selling goods. One building has a sign that reads, "Trumbauer & Son," which was once the home of several important Philadelphia residents., This array of once dignified homes upon Front Street north from Pine Street is now crowded with the activities of poultry and egg dealers. The structure is chiefly of interest to the historian is the building bearing the signs of Trumbauer & Son, which was the home, successively, of several distinguished citizens. It was built by Captain William Dawson. Pratt, the artist, once lived here. About 1807, it was occupied by Commadore Bainbridge, commander of the U.S.S. Constitution, during our second war with Great Britain. Thomas Birch lived here in 1843. In the spring of 1919, when this sketch was made, the old residence was in the process of demolition., Taylor Catalog Number: 179

A Garden of Climbing Wistaria
Shows a back view of the Wistar and Cadwalader mansions where a garden of Wistaria grows., This rear view of the locally noted Wistar and Cadwalader mansions, at 238 and 240 South Fourth Street, is of interest, especially, as it portrays the original creeping vine, shown, at the left, which was presented, early in the last century, to Dr. Caspar Wistar, by his guest, the French naturalist Michaux, who named it the Wistaria in honor of his host and friend. This is the parent vine of its species of all those now so plentiful in America., Taylor Catalog Number: 240

The Garrick House, a Colonial Relic
Shows a three-story colonial residence with a yard bordered by hedges. Pedestrians stand outside while an early automobile is parked in the street., The "Yellow Mansion," at Paschall Avenue and Sixty-ninth Streets, is one of the best preserved among the colonial homes of the city. It was formerly known as the Garrick house. In the course of the Revolution it was used as a place of storage for weapons and equipments intended for American troops. General Howe made his deadquarters here prior to the capture of Philadelphia. The owner, in 1923, is Mr. A.E. Kerschner., Taylor Catalog Number: 331

General Wayne Tavern
View of a stone inn shaded by trees and surrounded by hedges., This house was one of the most popular of the many inns which were formerly scattered along the Lancaster turnpike. It is located at Frazer Station upon the Main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The present building was erected after the Revolution upon the site of an earlier tavern dating from about 1745. It was orignially called the Admiral Vernon. It is now a private country home. Such changes as its present owner has made have been effected without injury to the interesting original woodwork or the exterior design. It is located about twenty miles from Philadelphia., Taylor Catalog Number: 267

The George MIfflin Houses and Workman's Court
View of three residences around a grassy area. People sit on benches and converse in the space, while a boy and old man stand in the foreground near a brick path., Taylor Catalog Number: 20

Germantown's King of Prussia Inn
View of a brick inn with a sign advertising it as "King of Prussia.", This once-noted old hostelry, built in 1739, was removed in 1910. It was located upon Germantown Avenue above School Lane. It ceased to provide entertainment for man and beast about 80 years ago. The drawing, showing modern changes, has been made from a recent photograph. This tavern was long adorned by a sign depicting King Frederick upon a horse, a painting attributed to Gilbert Stuart. Mr. Charles F. Jenkins states in his entertaining history of old Germantown that Thomas Jefferson sojourned here during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The inn and its outbuildings were used by the British after the Battle of Germantown for hospital purposes., Taylor Catalog Number: 141

Pages